Notices

Positive changes I've noticed in 11 days

Old 08-07-2017, 10:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Positive changes I've noticed in 11 days

Just back from work and feeling a little bored and lost, normally when I feel like this I'd go to my local off-licence and buy a bottle of wine...immediately after the first glass of wine I'd feel better, excited, hopeful. I'd go through my phone and call people, would be chatty, funny etc... The thing is, this wasn't 'me', just me trying to connect with people by being someone I'm not. The real me is that bored person, lost in life, looking for meaning, looking for wholeness. I have to keep reminding myself of this and that it's only when I stay the real me, that I will begin to understand her, what she's looking for, what's missing and make the necessary changes. So, I thought I'd write down the positive changes I've noticed since being sober as a way of reminding myself why I'm doing this and to others who are also feeling a little lost:
POSITIVE CHANGES
-Increased clarity and an ability to make decisions
-Ability to sustain conversations, not thinking about what people are thinking of me, just enjoying the moment and the conversation
-Remaining calm and rational when faced with challenges at work
-Not taking things personally
-Increased capacity to listen to other people's problems/Issues without feeling down, depressed and 'absorbing' all the negative emotions
-Increased clarity on what and who is important to me and wanting to give my full attention and energy to these things and people
-Better able to rationalise the past, almost like you have a 'birds eye view' of your life and you're not embroiled in the misery of what's gone wrong
-Less angry and quick tempered
-Waking up clear headed and although I still wake up with a bit of nervous anticipation of the day ahead and even a bit of dread, I feel more able to tackle it
-I write a lot of reports at work and have noticed more 'flow' when writing and it's less of a struggle to express myself
-More confidence talking to mangement. Feel more of an equal, rather than being intimidated and feeling 'less than'
-More hopeful about the future
-More comfortable making and sustaining eye contact
-Feeling a sense of empowerment
-Deeper connection to things. I listened to a piece of classical music today and there was a moment when I felt it was talking to my soul
-Wanting to do good things for people

So, there's my list, written from the top of my head. There's more but that will do for now. It's still incredibly hard and feels like a daily challenge but i keep telling myself,if I feel like this after 11 days then it can only get better and better and the impact of those changes will take effect and I'll start to see real changes in my life.

Stay strong everyone
Old 08-07-2017, 11:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Nice!
You have come a long way in 11 days.
Awesome list... I'm gonna go read it again!
Old 08-07-2017, 11:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Old 08-07-2017, 11:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Learning to Live

That's great Georgie! Good idea to focus on the positive
Old 08-07-2017, 11:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Georgie, what a wonderful way to turn things around and think positive. Very inspiring, thank you for posting it.

Congrats on 11 days Georgie!
Old 08-07-2017, 11:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great list and just think that's only after 11 days!!!!! Keep it going you're doing great!
Old 08-07-2017, 11:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This is just awesome, Georgie, and shows a lot of awareness, insight and self knowledge. Love it. You are doing great!