Beyond 12 Steps

Old 08-07-2017, 07:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Beyond 12 Steps

I haven't posted or been on the SoberRecovery website in a very long time and plenty has happened in that time. Like all who post here could easily say "I could write a book" so in short I have two alcoholic siblings and one of the two also has a gambling addiction. In the past year both my mother and oldest sibling passed away. You can imagine the triggers that were set off for my addicted siblings with the passing of my mother and then oldest sibling.
One of the alcoholics in my life recently spent some time in a recovery center that has the beyond twelve steps philosophy. Does anyone have any experience with that type of program?
Old 08-07-2017, 07:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Just about any program that isn't confined to a 12-Step program would meet that definition. I don't think a formal 12-Step program is essential for everyone (though it has been known to work when other types of programs fail). And regardless of whether it's 12-Step or not, there are good programs and bad ones. And, most important, it doesn't matter WHAT kind of program it is unless the participant is willing to do the work and make the commitment. The program can help, but it can't do anything with someone who doesn't want it.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

SoulLight.....I read a book, once with that title..."Beyond the 12 Steps"....Is that what you are talking about?
Old 08-12-2017, 04:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The program itself was called "Beyond The 12 Steps" it's possible/likely it is based on such a book. I was mostly wondering if anyone out there knew/had success with their family member having gone through a program with that philosophy. Success being a relative term.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Soul Light...As much as I can remember about the book is....it is not against the 12 steps....it just advocates changing the wording a bit...to reflect a more feminist point of view....in alanon.....(it was written by a woman).....

I, myself, am not very familiar with any other programs other than AA and alanon.....I have heard that some have had success with a program that is sponsored through some churches...called "Celebrate Recovery"......