Notices

Strength and wisdom needed for tonight

Old 08-05-2017, 07:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Strength and wisdom needed for tonight

Hi,
First social night out tonight as a non drinker and I already have butterflies and anxiety. Told my friends via a whatsapp thread that I'm driving and I got the expected replies....shall I order in coco and hot chocolate, maybe I'll see if they do have bingo on, shall I see if the dj has any golden oldies. I jokingly participated and I understand why they responded like this as I'm usually the party animal. At this point in the early evening before I go out I'd be getting excited, would put myself a few wines, get in the mood...I'm nervous, nervous to enter a buzy vibe like this, my friend dj ing, meeting new people, people I partially know and would need a drink to connect with....I know I won't drink but it's going to be a challenge for me...any nuggets of wisdom for you guys about why I'm doing this would be helpful and I'll 'take with me' to give me strength. Thanks
Old 08-05-2017, 08:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Do you need to go and put yourself in this situation, I can only speak about myself but I wouldn't go if I wasn't ready completely, I hope you decide whats best for you, good luck
Old 08-05-2017, 08:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hope you have a nice sober evening. The first few of these type of outings are always difficult, but you will love the feeling of accomplishment when the evening is over.

Stay Strong!
Old 08-05-2017, 08:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Why would you go? " If you don't want to be bit by a snake, don't pick it up."
Old 08-05-2017, 08:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mummyto2 View Post
Do you need to go and put yourself in this situation, I can only speak about myself but I wouldn't go if I wasn't ready completely, I hope you decide whats best for you, good luck
I know what you're saying. I wouldn't ordinarily go but I promised my friend I'd go to his first gig. I've just moved to a new area and I'm trying to connect with friends and if I cancel I feel I'll let people down. I want to go and enjoy the music my friend plays. I said I'm only going to stay a couple of hours. It will be hard but I'm determined to get through this hurdle. Thanks for replying
Old 08-05-2017, 08:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RetiredGuy View Post
Hope you have a nice sober evening. The first few of these type of outings are always difficult, but you will love the feeling of accomplishment when the evening is over.

Stay Strong!
Thank you x
Old 08-05-2017, 08:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well if you want to support your friend great, but if it gets too hard make an excuse and leave, as tomorrow morning you DONT want to be back and feeling lousy, good luck and enjoy a lovely sober evening
Old 08-05-2017, 08:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mummyto2 View Post
Well if you want to support your friend great, but if it gets too hard make an excuse and leave, as tomorrow morning you DONT want to be back and feeling lousy, good luck and enjoy a lovely sober evening
I certainly don't want to be back feeling lousy, depressed and in emotional pain. I'm hoping that thought, which is so strong, will get me through the night. Here's to a sober evening. Thanks so much, your replies mean so much and I'll take this with me tonight.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Whenever I had to attend a business function where there was drinking when I had some years sober I used to enjoy watching the way that people change when they drink and it really helped me be grateful I wasn't drinking. I KNOW I really changed when I was drinking. Of course, there are some that can order one beer and have a few sips and leave half of it on the table. I NEVER understood that! Especially if it was open bar! I do agree that if you are concerned and if you can gracefully avoid it it may be best to do it if you can. What it is that they say? If you keep going to the barber shop eventually you're gonna get a haircut? Except it was a little more umm risque! Good luck! Nothing is worth your sobriety :>)
Old 08-05-2017, 08:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Whenever I had to attend a business function where there was drinking when I had some years sober I used to enjoy watching the way that people change when they drink and it really helped me be grateful I wasn't drinking. I KNOW I really changed when I was drinking. Of course, there are some that can order one beer and have a few sips and leave half of it on the table. I NEVER understood that! Especially if it was open bar! I do agree that if you are concerned and if you can gracefully avoid it it may be best to do it if you can. What it is that they say? If you keep going to the barber shop eventually you're gonna get a haircut? Except it was a little more umm risque! Good luck! Nothing is worth your sobriety :>)
Old 08-05-2017, 08:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oops - new to forum duplicate post!
Old 08-05-2017, 08:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Georgie,

make sure you have a non-alcoholic drink in your hand at all times. it lessens the chance of anyone offering you stuff and your hand habitually reaching.

hang with someone else who is there and not drinking. or invite someone else who will not be drinking to go with you.

make sure you're not hungry.

know that you can always leave, and plan to do so if things get iffy.

you're asking for nuggets of wisdom as to why you're doing this...only you can answer that one. there could be many reasons. and one of them might be that you want to use it as an excuse to drink.
if that is a possibility, you can look at it here, ahead of time, and decide not to go.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

how are you doing, Georgie?