Notices

Starting again :/

Old 08-04-2017, 06:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting again :/

Hi guys, found this site hoping for some help/support without pulling on the strings too much. I did 10 days sober recently then went off on a massive week bender now trying to pull myself back again. Been in and out AA and that's not for me so trying to find other avenues, but if I have to go bk I will.. Ive got a little girl now and she's more important but how do you change a lifetime of 20 years (drink or drugs??)
A lot of hard will and graft I suppose. My family aren't talking to me, ive pretty much alienated all my friends so when bubs goes to bed I sit here on my own every night, so easy to pick up a glass. Maybe I should learn how to nit - pick up the bag and get on YouTube it's been sitting in my front room corner for a year now for that exact reason - pretty bad huh? Any help/advice/critismn welcome xx
Old 08-04-2017, 06:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to a great place, MMartin! You'll find plenty of encouragement here - from people who understand.

I drank 30 yrs. I really couldn't imagine my life without it, even though it only made me miserable in the end. I was afraid to let go - but being here & talking things over helped me find the courage to change. It really eased my anxiety to share my feelings. You're never alone.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

you change it day by day MMartin

The community here helped me turn my life around - I know we can help you do the same
Old 08-04-2017, 06:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, I'll be on here reading and talking... you never how many people are walking the same footsteps until you reach out. Big love to everyone - ill be back on day 1 tomorrow god help me lol x
V disheartening to see people so much better than you with a lot more days under their belt but still struggling the same x
A daily fight that's need to be won xx
Old 08-04-2017, 06:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Xx much appreciated
Old 08-04-2017, 06:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's amazing thank you - no disrespect but I hope I can shave the extra 10 years that you did on your 30 - who knows where I'll end up.. I barely know what day of the week it is at mo 😯
So nice to talk to people who understand, really appreciate you guys messaging so late at night xx
Old 08-04-2017, 06:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
you change it day by day MMartin

The community here helped me turn my life around - I know we can help you do the same

❤xx
Old 08-04-2017, 08:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

V disheartening to see people so much better than you with a lot more days under their belt but still struggling the same x
This is not the best it gets MMartin - I don't struggle with not drinking any more, anytime

You'll get there too

D
Old 08-04-2017, 11:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey welcome MMartin, ull find loads of support here. Id b drinking if it wasn't for this lot!
Keep posting & reading. In the early days keep busy, get an early night's sleep & get fresh air.
Ur family/friendships u maybe able to rebuild in time.
Focus on ur little lady, plan quality funtime which ull love without the hangover or the thought of "god i need some wine"!!
Old 08-05-2017, 02:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

''A lot of hard will and graft I suppose.'' - I thought that sobriety was a result of gritting my teeth and fighting it. I always relapsed. When I finally conceded that alcoholism was FAR stronger than me I felt hopeless, until someone suggested to me that the road to sobriety was not a fight, but total acceptance. I stopped fighting alcoholism and started to quietly accept that I was suffering from an illness/condition that was totally incurable. Strangely, giving up the 'fight' has enabled me to stay drink free one day at a time for a while now.