Notices

I never asked for help...

Old 08-04-2017, 06:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I never asked for help...

I never asked for help while I was drinking or more honestly, I never really asked for help, ever! Single, 40's, no kids, no dog, no cat, no fish and I need to learn to ask for it. I asked God for it countless times and waited for some huge, calming, 10ft angel to show up on my patio between wine and cigarettes to help me off this bridleless bronc, but he never showed. I was mad then, and Im sad now, because I don't know how to ask for help! I know where to get it, I just need to learn to receive it!
Old 08-04-2017, 07:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, Wrandi1!

I can certainly relate to your post. While you were waiting for your sober angel, I was waiting for the sober fairy. It finally dawned on me that God helps those who help themselves. I had to reach out, something I wasn't used to doing.

Actually, you just took the first step! You reached out to a wonderful community filled with compassionate and supportive members.

I hope, like me, you can make this a new beginning.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Wrandi,

I thought about reaching out to a sober friend many, many, many times before I actually followed through with it. I was terrified to give a name to what was going on with my drinking, and equally terrified that once I admitted it to another person that I wouldn't be able to follow through with staying sober, essentially forcing me to cut that person out of my life due to embarrassment.

BUT... when I knew I was ready it came far easier than I thought it would. It was via text message and she was amazingly receptive and supportive of what I was telling her. It was such a relief to share my secrets. "I hide beer bottles in the bottom of the trash." and "I black out almost every weekend." I felt liberated!

I agree with Opivotal, God helps those who help themselves. He works through others. Reaching out and receiving the support you need IS God's answer to your prayers.

We are all here for you!
Old 08-04-2017, 07:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

When I reached out for help to a sober friend, it was one of the most difficult but emotionally liberating things I have ever done. Then - with his help, I started going to meetings and realized that I could ask for help, and that it would willingly be given. I have always been an independent person, and really didn't understand why anyone would want to help a drunk get sober, but other alcoholics are some of the most generous and caring people you will ever meet. You said you know where to get help - take the chance. You don't have anything to lose and possibly, if you are anything like I was, it will save your life.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wrandi how to ask for help.. maybe I found mine when I looked in the mirror one day in tears.. 1980's everything was such a mess..life the kids.. gas and elec off trying to find a job. feed everyone and keep a roof over our heads.. and I looked at myself in the mirror and said Quilling what the H is wrong with you... stop and be the best you can without looking for help to hide with... went to an AA meeting back then kekekekekekekek run run run... and don't stop... well I am 67 instead of 37 and because of me reach into the mirror that day.. my Kids are great adults... I have been sober for a long time and still counting the days...
Old 08-04-2017, 07:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

A fellow was stuck on his rooftop in a flood. He was praying to God for help.

Soon a man in a rowboat came by and the fellow shouted to the man on the roof, "Jump in, I can save you."

The stranded fellow shouted back, "No, it's OK, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me."

So the rowboat went on.

Then a motorboat came by. "The fellow in the motorboat shouted, "Jump in, I can save you."

To this the stranded man said, "No thanks, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me. I have faith."

So the motorboat went on.

Then a helicopter came by and the pilot shouted down, "Grab this rope and I will lift you to safety."

To this the stranded man again replied, "No thanks, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me. I have faith."

So the helicopter reluctantly flew away.

Soon the water rose above the rooftop and the man drowned. He went to Heaven. He finally got his chance to discuss this whole situation with God, at which point he exclaimed, "I had faith in you but you didn't save me, you let me drown. I don't understand why!"

To this God replied, "I sent you a rowboat and a motorboat and a helicopter, what more did you expect?"
Old 08-04-2017, 01:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Wrandi1...
Old 08-04-2017, 03:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

You'll find this an incredibly supportive and encouraging place Wrandi

D