Notices

15 days, feeling amazing, a big day for me too.

Old 08-04-2017, 02:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

15 days, feeling amazing, a big day for me too.

Today i have my grandad over for the day, he is, i suppose an alcoholic by textbook in the amount of units per week that he drinks. Although i have never ever seen him actually drunk! He always says to be merry and a still a gentleman is far enough lol. Usually my mum takes care of him, but they are away and he is a widow and lonely, and my other family are busy at work, so i invited him over for lunch.

i know i can handle it, my mind is in the right place and he would never pressure me to drink. He will sip away at him lunchtime 2 pints and a 'tot' of whiskey and water whilst we chat, and then we will eat. This is a ritual he has done for 15 years or so, and repeats the same at night before dinner. Never more alcohol, never less. Usually i would have a couple of glasses of wine with him as we chatted, just unfortunately once i left, i would continue on the binge. But hey, past is the past. Let that memory go.

im more close to him that my own father, so i cannot, not have him over, or visit him. Ive got some nice flavoured sparkling water in the fridge, so i will have that, i know he will ask why im not drinking, and im ready to be honest with him. Kinda a big day for me in letting somebody know for real what is going on with me, last time i tried to tell my sister in law i was having problems and concerns her response was ' get a grip love, your making it sound like youre in an AA meeting'. Supportive eh?!

My resolve to not drink is strong, i will not drink today, no matter what, but i know i cant stop other people being around me drinking, alcohol will always be there in most social situations i am in. I have to change my thinking and mental response to wanting to 'join in'.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Be strong, it sounds like he is the sort of guy who will understand and support you.
It's hard to support someone if you don't know what's going on with them
Old 08-04-2017, 02:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

15 days for me too, fab stuff well done
Old 08-04-2017, 05:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on 15 days ntb2!
Old 08-04-2017, 11:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

well, it went really well. He was really understanding, it was such a relief to speak to someone and open up. He asked if he should pour his drinks away as he wants to help and support me, but I said no. That he was fine, it was kind of him to ask, but I will always have people drinking around me, because that's life, it will happen. And I need to be ok with that, and I genuinely was ok not drinking. Ive asked him at the moment to keep this between us, until I am ready to make it known to my family what has been going on these last few years. I don't see them often and rarely speak, as we aren't close, so nobody really knows more than I like a drink now and then.

I'm amazed how I didn't even think that I wanted a drink. Apart from being pregnant I have never not sat and drank with him. It didn't even seem strange. A really big obstacle overcome today, and puts yet another solid nail in the coffin of my drinking past. Time to celebrate with some pizza and icecream!
Old 08-04-2017, 12:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi noturningback - doesn't it feel good to get over those hurdles? I'm glad it went well for you & grandad.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

So glad for you, noturningback! I was so happy to read your update after the lunch. I'm not surprised.. for some reason I had a feeling he'd understand. How sweet that he was willing to do whatever helped you.

I think older people sometimes "get it" more.. they appreciate life's changing times. He sounds like a lovely man and what a blessing to have that closeness with him.

Congrats on getting through what you thought might be a tough situation.

Another milestone reached!

You sound determined and calm and that's the way to be.

Hugs to you!
Old 08-04-2017, 01:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on your 15 days.... keep going....
Old 08-04-2017, 01:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Old 08-04-2017, 02:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What a wonderful Grandad you have - bless him. Well done to you for resisting as well. X
Old 08-04-2017, 03:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

He sounds like a right gent noturningback - congrats to you too on 15 days

D
Old 08-05-2017, 07:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great story, congrats on 15 days!

Grandparents are special. I still remember one time almost 40 years ago that I got drunk and ruined a family party. To this day, I can still see the look of disappointment in my grandmother's eyes.
Old 08-05-2017, 12:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Was 15 for me yesterday too! Good to have people on the same path :>)