My dads alcohol withdrawal

Old 08-03-2017, 07:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My dads alcohol withdrawal

I'm really just looking for someone to share their knowledge or experience. I don't know anyone who has gone through this and I want to know if anyone has had a similar experience. My dad is a beer drinker - at least a 12 pack a day for 40+ years. He was admitted to he hospital on a Thursday morning for pancreatitis which they believe was caused by alcohol use. He began showing moderate to severe withdrawal symptoms by Saturday. He was confused, agitated, delirious, and even violent at times. He received quite a bit of Valium to help with the withdrawal. Sunday night into Monday was the worst day and when he received a large amount of Valium. By Monday and Tuesday he was pretty sedated and the doctors said he was through the alcohol withdrawal. Wednesday he was coherent but very slow, quiet, and weak. PT began to work with him to get him moving again. He ate dinner Wednesday night but his digestive system apparently wasn't ready. He vomited, aspirated, and ended up with pneumonia. By Thursday morning (today) he was completely confused, mean, hallucinating. He took a total step back. Some said it may be the infection in his lungs because of the pneumonia, low electrolytes and potassium and then they said it may be withdrawal from the Valium because he received such a large amount. I've been trying to do my research and see if this is normal or even makes sense. I'd really like to know if anyone or their loved ones have had a similar experience.

If my dad is willing to quit drinking, I want to offer any support possible so would love some advice in this area as well. Success stories? Best NA beers? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 08-04-2017, 02:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Mb....I have seen everything you mention within medical settings....these are very complicated medical cases. If he is doing o.k. at this point (meaning any level of stability)...I would say that he has gotten some good medical care. These are l ife threatening conditions, after all....

My advice to you is to begin to attend alanon meetings, right away...for YOU....
and to get a copy of a book called: "Getting Them sober"....

You might ask to see a social worker, at the hospital....(everyone is assigned a social worker)...and, ask to be referred to a licensed alcoholism counselor...for you to see, at least, a few times....they can fill you in on the best way for you as a family member to proceed, with your father in relationship to his alcoholism.....
Old 08-04-2017, 02:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I drank for 40 years. When the 'consequences' finally overpowered me (that's the cliff note) I had to go thru the long process of getting Sober. I didn't have the violent reactions as bad as you describe, but it took my body (and mind and emotions and spirit) a few months to 'normalize'.

I highly suggest you and your family members, including your dad, read the book, Alcoholics Anonymous. Also, this website and the Sober Recovery community has been an ongoing lifeline for me.

RDBplus3 ... Happy, Joyous and FREE
Old 08-04-2017, 03:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I went through a very similar experience when my second husband went into unplanned withdrawal when he was admitted to the hospital with pneumonia. He went through the hallucinations, had to be put in restraints, and eventually lapsed into a coma in which his liver and kidneys shut down--it was touch and go whether he would even live.

Miraculously, he made it through, though he continued to have liver problems for weeks with high ammonia levels that caused dementia and ascites (fluid collecting in the belly). When he was well enough to have a liver biopsy it was determined he had EARLY cirrhosis and would be fine as long as he never drank again.

Unfortunately, he went back to drinking a short time later. I had to leave for my own well-being.

I've known people for whom a health crisis WAS the motivation they needed to stop drinking. I know many more, unfortunately, for whom it did not have that effect.

I think some heavy medical intervention is called for while he's a captive audience, so to speak, in the hospital. No guarantees what will happen--that's really up to him.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

welcome mb! i dont have any experience to offer other than one very important part you mention:
Best NA beers?
NONE. NA beer contains a small amount of alcohol. it is not wise for someone working at recovering from alcoholism to drink NA beer- it would be like the ex crack addict smoking non crack crack.
i highly suggest guiding him to recovery programs and,imo, with the condition he is in,long term inpatient rehab would be wise,imo.