Notices

Day 3 - Irritable, Fatigued, yet Hopeful

Old 08-03-2017, 06:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3 - Irritable, Fatigued, yet Hopeful

Hello to my support network....Today is my 3rd day of trying to overcome the poison called alcohol.

The day started decent. I had to wake up really early to finish a project for work (I was giving a presentation to my account account managers today). The presentation went fine and the whole day was going decent until about noon. I started to feel really hot inside, like a fever or something. Like the internal heat was cranked up and that let to me being easily annoyed and irritable. This would be a day that I'd normally probably ask one of my account managers to lunch and go get a beer or 2. Anyhow, I made it through the day at work. On the way home I seriously felt like exploding with emotion. I was literally hitting ever red light and I just wanted to explode (I don't have anger issues). I made it home and I wanted to come on here and read and post, but I laid in bed and fell asleep almost immediately and slept for 2 hours and as I'm typing this, I still feel so tired and gross inside. I want to feel better so badly, but I know only time will heal.

On the bright side (well sorta). I got rid of my lollapalooza tickets. Tomorrow is my birthday and I was supposed to go with one of my good friends from down here in Chicago to the concert. I won free VIP tickets from one of my vendors at work. However, I know that I would end up drinking and drinking a lot. So instead I told my friend to bring his wife and gave away the VIP wristbands so instead of partying it up like I normally would I my birthday, I'm going to drive back home to MN to be with my family. My parents are very happy to say the least. Also, I have mentioned before that my brother-in law has been sober for about 2 years so me and him are going to AA on Saturday night. As I mentioned in another post, I have anxiety to go to the first meeting so I feel like going with him will give me a feel of what to expect when I start attending back here in Chicago (I know, I know. I should have just went tonight...).

Anyhow, despite the difficult choices...here I am sober on Thirsty Thursday.

I appreciate you all...
Old 08-03-2017, 07:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Learning to Live

You should be so proud of yourself. You got through a very tempting time, multiple is sounds like. I love that you went so far as to give away those tickets knowing it would be bad for your sobriety. I also love that you have plans to attend an AA meeting with your brother-in-law!

Huge kudos to you. Keep it up!
Old 08-03-2017, 07:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Running on Backup Power

Good job avoiding your drinking triggers! I see you quit just before your birthday too! I quit the day before my birthday....part of the reason was to say "I haven't had a drink since I was age x". Hopefully that will remain true for as long as I can keep it that way.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jezzi View Post
You should be so proud of yourself. You got through a very tempting time, multiple is sounds like. I love that you went so far as to give away those tickets knowing it would be bad for your sobriety. I also love that you have plans to attend an AA meeting with your brother-in-law!

Huge kudos to you. Keep it up!
Thank you Jezzi! Hopefully in a month or so, our posts will start to turn very positive
Old 08-03-2017, 07:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by incognition View Post
Good job avoiding your drinking triggers! I see you quit just before your birthday too! I quit the day before my birthday....part of the reason was to say "I haven't had a drink since I was age x". Hopefully that will remain true for as long as I can keep it that way.
Thanks incognition! Yes, I quit on the 1st of the month and right before by birthday. I guess it wasn't intentional for me since you know Monday was a bad night for me, but it works out quite nice that is happened to be right at these dates Makes it easy to reference. Hopefully years down the road I can say I quit 3 days before my 28th!
Old 08-03-2017, 07:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Nice going MNV
Old 08-03-2017, 07:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You are doing so well, MNV! Awesome job recognizing that what you are going through is part of the process, that it'll get better, and knowing to avoid difficult or tempting situations. Great plan, too, to go to an AA meeting with your BIL! And think how thrilled your family must be that you are visiting. You're already making a huge difference in your life.

I think being tired is pretty typical at this point.. your body is going through a lot. Just visulaize it healing every moment, and getting stronger. You will start feeling the benefits sooner than you imagine.

It will get easier!

Hang in there and Happy early Birthday!
What a gift you are giving yourself.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MariahGayle View Post
Nice going MNV
Thank you!
Old 08-03-2017, 07:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tealily View Post
You are doing so well, MNV! Awesome job recognizing that what you are going through is part of the process, that it'll get better, and knowing to avoid difficult or tempting situations. Great plan, too, to go to an AA meeting with your BIL! And think how thrilled your family must be that you are visiting. You're already making a huge difference in your life.

I think being tired is pretty typical at this point.. your body is going through a lot. Just visulaize it healing every moment, and getting stronger. You will start feeling the benefits sooner than you imagine.

It will get easier!

Hang in there and Happy early Birthday!
What a gift you are giving yourself.
Thanks Tealily! Your words are reaffirming my choices and its good to know that others think I'm taking the right steps.

I didn't even think about it that way....I like that....I gave myself sobriety for my birthday
Old 08-03-2017, 08:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Nice job choosing family over alcohol. You won't regret that ever.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SimplyFree View Post
Nice job choosing family over alcohol. You won't regret that ever.
Absolutely! Thanks SimplyFree
Old 08-03-2017, 10:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You are doing fantastic, and you were very smart to give away the wrist bands. You made two friends really happy, and protected your sobriety, definitely a win-win.

It is normal to feel tired and out of sorts the first few weeks, I started to feel better around one month, and continued to feel better each month after.

Sounds like you have a nice weekend planned, and I think it's great that y have opened up to your BIL.

Keep up the great work, and keep posting about how you are feeling.