Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Is taking a benzo/anti-anxiety in recovery considered cheating?

Notices

Is taking a benzo/anti-anxiety in recovery considered cheating?

Old 08-03-2017, 02:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Is taking a benzo/anti-anxiety in recovery considered cheating?

I have been prescribed klonopin for 10 years due to GAD/panic attacks. (i have had anxiety since i was young and panic attacks started at age 8) My sponsor seemed uncomfortable at first and told me to talk to my psychiatrist and possibly get a second opinion about the klonopin. So, I spoke to him and he said that I should still take it and not to stop taking it. I only take a tiny amount before bed and have never abused it. (0.5mg)

The question is, technically it is a very strong substance but I take it prescribed by a doctor. I guess I am feeling a little guilty that I am not completely sober because I still have to take a drug, but it is due to a mental illness (depression/anxiety) that runs in my family. I have tried to come off the drug and my life is a MESS with panic and severe gut-wrenching 24 hour a day anxiety which leads me to believe I do have a chemical imbalance.

What are the honest thoughts here?
Old 08-03-2017, 02:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Learning to Live

I've struggled with anxiety since my teens. I take Lexapro to help with both anxiety and depression. I'll tell you right now that without ANYTHING, I wouldn't be able to function. So, in my opinion, if you're not abusing any meds, not "high" from the medications prescribed to you, you're sober.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you're taking it as prescribed and not abusing it, then it is not 'cheating'.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

As a sponsor, I would suggest that anything between doctor and patient is between doctor and patient.

Keep moving forward!!!
Old 08-03-2017, 02:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sounds like your psych has good reason to want you to stay on it despite you having substance abuse issues with other things, and you've taken it for a long time without abusing it, so doesn't sound like an issue to me.

Also 2nd what Sugarbear said - whats between you and your doctor is between you and your doctor.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Im on lyrica a VERY potent drug prescribed to me.....I consider myself sober, its MEDICINE!
Old 08-03-2017, 02:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
As a sponsor, I would suggest that anything between doctor and patient is between doctor and patient.

Keep moving forward!!!
^^^^ This!^^^^
Old 08-03-2017, 02:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
AA member

No it is not cheating at all.

You have been prescribed medication by a doctor and are taking it as you should.

The AA programme is not a cure for everything.

I sponsor ladies and as sugarbear has said,what goes on between them and their doctor is none of my business.

Wishing you well.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

No, absolutely not cheating.

This is what gets me about attitudes to mental illness. If you had a physical problem, say diabetes, that required medication then nobody would dream of questioning it. But mental illness is categorised totally differently.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Many AA/NA'ers do frown upon medications, especially those for mental health, but many of us also have mental health issues besides the alcoholism (myself included)
I take that medication as well as a few others prescribed by my doc and I do not find this as not being sober in any way.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Running on Backup Power

I'm currently taking an antidepressant during my recovery. Without that, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't even have the energy to get out of bed. Takings substances as prescribed by a medical practitioner for your health is not cheating at all; I consider it a good thing, an aid to recovery rather than the crutch some people may see it as.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Forward12 View Post
Many AA/NA'ers do frown upon medications, especially those for mental health, but many of us also have mental health issues besides the alcoholism (myself included)
I take that medication as well as a few others prescribed by my doc and I do not find this as not being sober in any way.
Members may frown, but the official guidelines do not
Alcoholics Anonymous : A.A. Member-Medications and Other Drugs

linked by permission AAWS

I expect it would be the same in NA

I figure as long as you've been totally honest with your dr about past addictions, & you're using prescribed meds as directed, it's totally between you and your dr Chiquen

D
Old 08-03-2017, 06:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

No not at all. It's medicine for an illness you have.

If you start taking more than you're supposed to, then maybe at that point. But taking a prescribed dose for a diagnosed condition? I wouldn't consider that anything other than getting medical help.

I know we have addictive personalities but sometimes we do also need drugs in a medicinal sense, if I dislocate my shoulder and they offer me pain relief, you better believe I'm taking it.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Not at all, I have medication that I take for anxiety as well.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

No. Taking a prescribed medication is not cheating. I was prescribed lorazepam .5. My doctor quit practicing and my normal doc wouldn't give me a script for benzos. So I had to quit cold turkey. I experienced massive anxiety for a like a month. I did some research and found that benzo withdrawal can be very difficult. I don't mean to scare you. I just thought you should be aware of this to avoid a situation like I had.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

If you are taking the meds as prescribed only, then no.
I take .5 mg of Xanax once a day (at bedtime) as needed. If I have an anxiety attack I take one then (about once a month) and have for years. The dosage has never changed. I've never used the entire bottle before I was due another.
Abusing drugs (alcohol is a drug) is the problem.
Good for the people who can drink 1 glass of wine for health benefits. I drank to the detriment if my health. No benes there!
I happen to be able to take just the one pill prescribed me as needed. Not to get high.
(I can't see the allure, it just makes me so sleepy)
Jules
Old 08-04-2017, 03:51 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

No, not if it (all) med(s) are part of your recovery program and treat what they are supposed to - I KNOW that my drug regimen is a necessary tool in my sobriety kit.

I say that as someone who works closely- and is honest with!- her psych, especially about the ativan she prescribes. I also take seroquel (quetapine) for sleep, lamictal (lamotrigine) for what are now very minor BPD symptoms, a low dose of paxil (paroxetine) for depression maintenance, and campral (acamprosate) for cravings. I'm 17 mo sober and we have adjusted meds along the way as needed.

Taking care of myself and doing everything I can to bolster and secure my sobriety is absolutely OK- necessary- in my book.