Notices

I feel fine, paranoid but fine.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I feel fine, paranoid but fine.

I'm two days sober after 14 years of fairly hard drinking. For the last two years it's been 10 or more 16oz beers a night. I've been gearing up to this for a few months, taking a night or two off here and there, with no bad effects.

I've been doing a lot of reading and I never realized the risks of detoxing. I feel fine, better than I would if I had drank last night even. Is it possible to come off alcohol without all the scary side effects? Have any of you done it?
Old 08-03-2017, 01:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Learning to Live

I have never detoxed without a medical check up just to be on the safe side. I have read that for some people they don't get withdrawal symptoms until day 4 or 5. Would it be possible to make an appt to be checked out? It would probably help ease your paranoia as well.

My dr also prescribed a benzo on a tapering schedule which helps a lot with the anxiety. It might be worth looking into.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have never had help detoxing, apart from feeling low and crap I have been ok, although I will say everyone is different and it may be better to see a doctor, good luck
Old 08-03-2017, 02:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

Medical help will ease your discomfort.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Originally Posted by kage007 View Post
Is it possible to come off alcohol without all the scary side effects? Have any of you done it?
Other than discomfort .. I had no scary side effects. The worst part though was my brain feeling "fizzy fuzzy" for a while. But that happened after detoxing.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Its very possible you may not experience any withdrawals and that's fine. Try not to create "symptoms" that are not there. Just stay the course. If you start feeling unwell, it might be wise to visit the doc. Eat and stay hydrated if possible.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I still have some paranoid feelings at over 2 years sober.

It started out so horrible, I struggled mentally several times a day. I would be exhausted. I didn't drink, it got better.

Thanks.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Running on Backup Power

It's always best to see a medical professional before attempting to detox from heavy drinking. It's relatively rare, but some people can have serious withdrawals that necessitate medical intervention, and it's always best to be safe. I never did this myself because I had a prescription for a benzodiazepine, which is what they usually give you to negate the worst withdrawal symptoms.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the replies. If I do start to experience symptoms, I will go to the doctor. I'm going to try to stop worrying and count my blessings. Thank you all!
Old 08-03-2017, 06:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It varies from person to person, but most can come off with some uncomfortable symptoms, but can get through it. If things do start to go south, be sure to head to the docs right away.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kage007 View Post
Thanks for all the replies. If I do start to experience symptoms, I will go to the doctor. I'm going to try to stop worrying and count my blessings. Thank you all!
Great attitude, your blessings come with sobriety. You can do it.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Kage

I detoxed at all points from no discomfort at all to nearly dying over the course of 20 years.

Keeping an eye on yourself and a drs number handy is a good precaution

welcome aboard

D