Life - it is ongoing

Old 08-03-2017, 07:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Life - it is ongoing

It just kind of hit me today that my son will carry his experiences with drug use with him for the rest of his life. Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way, I don't know.

My son has been clean (with the help of properly taken and monitored suboxone) for many years. He recently dealt with the warrants that had been out there, is on 2 years (lightly) monitored probation and is paying restititution. He is taking college courses and found out yesterday that he passed a back-ground check (!) for temporary employment. I thought to myself "WOW!" his life is coming together, he's getting "on track" - whatever that means. But then it just hit me - he will be forever changed by his experience with drug addiction.

To all of the people who are currently clean and sober, I want to say congratulations, I admire you for where you've been, how far you've come and support you for who you are today. Wherever you are on life's journey, it is right where you are meant to be.

To the parents, families and friends of addicts I want to give you all a hug and tell you congratulations for where you are in your journey.

Last edited by JMFburns; 08-03-2017 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Spelling :-)
Old 08-03-2017, 12:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Such great news about your sons progress. It's a wonderful testimony to the gifts coming from sobriety.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

You made my heart nod and smile with your post today...and yes, my heart DOES nod, lol. I am so tickled that your son is doing well and making such progress in his life.

He may carry his experiences with him through life but the lessons he learned along the way may just push him to be a better person than he might have been had his life been otherwise. It's a lovely thing that he is not afraid to apply for jobs, regardless of the background checks.

He can be proud of the person he is today, he can hold his head high because he overcame his obstacles, he learned from his mistakes and he is facing the future with hope in his heart. What others think of him really doesn't matter, it's what he thinks of himself that counts...and of course what WE think of him, and this codie is darned proud that one of our kids is doing so well.

Your post is like a breath of fresh air, please don't be a stranger and keep the news coming.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Amazing beautiful story..........So love he is doing well...God Bless him and your family,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Gives me hope
Old 08-06-2017, 06:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Thanks for sharing this beautiful story of recovery.