Notices

Day 1

Old 08-03-2017, 06:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1

I want to stop drinking. Can anyone give me any tips that worked for them. I tend to be a binge drinker at weekends. I used to do it to relieve stress but I have removed the people who stress me. It's like my drinking is a left over. The last thing to get rid, of but I'm finding it so hard. My drinking to relieve stress has been there for so long. It's like giving up an old friend.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Leafy. A safe and supportive online community. I was an all day every day drinker of a LOT of cardboard wine. I stopped because of a very bad rock-b.
What I nneded to do was
- get a physical and have my depression monitored by a GP, also very important for detox.
- made a plan on what to do, how to do it and why. Lots of info in the Stcky's on this.
- regular on the ground support, to cope with every day feelings..anger, resentment, isolation, loneliness. I use/d SMART, AA,
- Professional support to work out strategies to stop drinking, prevent relapse and WHY I drank. A psychologist and a counsellor
- self development by journal, making myself no isolate by doing new things
- changing routine and my way of thinking in everything. So making sure my living space and me are clean, neat.....planning the next day's activities.
- posting here daily.
Empathy and support to you.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, try AA meetings or smartrecovery.org perhaps visit the doctors good luck
Old 08-03-2017, 06:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

WORK the 12 Steps
Old 08-03-2017, 11:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR leafytree,

I used an audio book called the 30 Day Sobriety Solution, it comes with a handy companion website. It has daily action steps to complete which I found really helpful.

Wishing you well on your recovery journey x
Old 08-03-2017, 12:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Running on Backup Power

Hello, and welcome!

For me, it was all about avoiding my usual triggers to drink. I pretty much always paired drinking with certain activities or moods, so I had to try as hard as possible to avoid those activities and deal with the moods (using prescription drugs as first) as well as I could.

Getting more socially active (with people whose primary activity isn't drinking) also helped a lot. Being alone in my house with nothing to do made it very tempting to pull the bottle out. For me, idle hands really were the devil's plaything.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi leafytree - this community really helped me quit - become a regular poster - post for help for yourself and give support to others

see what others are doing to stay sober and find a way that makes sense to you
Old 08-03-2017, 06:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. For support, I suggest you post often in the Class of August thread. You will be joined by others who are getting sober this month. All you have to do to join is post on the thread.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-one.html
Old 08-04-2017, 08:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Once you are sober for an extended period you will realize that your drinking wasn't easing stress but instead was creating it. You will find lots of support here to help you.