Notices

Last night I became 'normal'...

Old 08-02-2017, 09:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Last night I became 'normal'...

in my mind. I went out of town for a few days and there was FREE booze everywhere. I didn't have a drop and had a blast making fun/laughing at the over do'ers,especially on the last night. The "sorry I was so drunk last night" excuses in the morning from several of my friends. They weren't that bad compared to my drinking antics of the past. But, I woke up fresh daily,hiked,took some awesome photos(I never do this) of the area and had an awesome time while sober. I think I'm almost back to 2 months since my one night 'slip' after 7 months. Feels good to remember everything and not have to say "I'm sorry" in the mornings.

Anyways...I was just finishing some house work last night and had a clear view of how my life was before booze/drugs. I was happy and content most of the time. It's amazing how much of ourselves get sucked into the tornado of addiction and how much of our thoughts are filled with nothing else except the next 'fix'..Just thought I'd ramble a bit.. Hope everyone is well!
Old 08-02-2017, 10:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

What a great post DontRemember!

I will never tire of reading when someone gets the chance to experience the true joy of the simplicity of sobriety. The things we didn't realize we missed when we were drinking.

I woke up fresh daily,hiked,took some awesome photos(I never do this) of the area and had an awesome time while sober.
It's a breath of fresh, clean air isn't it? I think the work we do that gets us to that sense of appreciation is what makes those moments what they are.

Thank you again for posting this. Sobriety and recovery are an entirely different world, far better than we could have ever imagined as long as we allow the AV to continue the stranglehold.

You've reminded me just how much the work is worth it. Just think, there's plenty more of that in your future simply by not picking up a drink.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Love this so much, Don't Remember!
It's so true.

I've been thinking about how simple and peaceful life was in the days before I ever drank. I was blessed with a happy childhood and young adult life. Back then, I didn't "need" a substance to be happy. I didn't need to drink mind-altering alcohol to make a day or experience fun or meaningful.

I also had a recent sober vacation and relished waking up fresh and filling my days with pleasures of the place and time, without drinking as my main "activity", to the detriment of everything real, right in front of me.

Thank you for sharing! Really encouraging.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
quat

Old 08-02-2017, 10:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's great to hear. One of the great rewards in my opinion is not having to apologize for your behavior. And when others apologize to us, we handle it with class.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I love the mornings, especially the shamefree, I've "done more before 9am than most people do all day" mornings! Life really is so much better without alcohol. Good for you and thanks for sharing!
Old 08-02-2017, 06:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I love this story and this is what I strive for!
Old 08-02-2017, 06:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Running on Backup Power

This is always one of the best things about sobriety: not having to dedicate time to either drinking or recovering from drinking. I was primarily an evening drinker, so I was always hiding in the evening and pounding shots, avoiding all contact with the outside world, then hiding and nursing my hangover in the morning. People would call me and I would never answer or text back because I knew I'd make an ass out of myself. Now I don't have to worry about being incapacitated for half of every day.

Having all that time back is a good feeling, isn't it?
Old 08-03-2017, 08:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'll add too that my 'Fakebook' friends request from some new couples I met that were with our group are pouring in(not that I really care). This would NOT have happened if I had been my old self or "that guy".. Shows me what a mess my 'life' had become with my drinking and the way I acted/treated others while drunk vs sober me.