Notices

When do I feel normal

Old 08-01-2017, 09:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When do I feel normal

I posted here a couple weeks back about how do I tell my wife.

Anyway what is with the first few days of tired and constipation? This isn't medical advice I'm looking for as I have had blood work done by a MD and everything has checked out. I can't seem to beat day 3 because I feel alcohol is the only thing that can make me feel "normal". I've tried OTC things like exlax but it doesn't work.

I'm sorry for the gross post but I'm struggling.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Do you drink coffee? Coffee seems to make things move along for me
Old 08-01-2017, 09:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When my daughter was little little, she had really bad problems with constipation.
One thing I did was sprinkle wheat germ on everything she ate. She was a very easy eater, not fussy and ate a good amount but still struggled with that too.
That seemed to help her a lot.

I have also struggled with that too. Cutting out refined carbs like white rice, white bread, potatoes- especially anything that is super-processed and comes in a box really helped. Stick to whole grains as much as possible but up your fibrous veggies and fruits. Lots of leafy greens and citrus are always good.
Healthy fats too, avocado, real butter, olive oil etc.
Yes I agree, coffee is a great get up and go brew
Exercise!
Water!
Cannot stress those two enough.

My old school family favourites were always raisin bran and prune juice lol that is one passed down a few generations now. But realistically any nuts and dried fruits mix would also give you a good scrub.
Also some good yogurts... the probiotics to get that healthy intestinal bacteria to where it should be.

If you feel to shy to talk to a pharmacists about it, why not give them a call? They may be able to offer you other solutions that will help you out long term too, or even the short term while your bowels regulate themselves.
If it is really causing you grave discomfort then I'd say go back to the dr

Because really, you are not even giving yourself much of a chance to hit any kind of physical equilibrium if you keep rebounding back to drinking.
You will have to find an overall solution to this problem. Drinking is definitely not it. You can do it. It will get better. For real
Old 08-01-2017, 10:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Running on Backup Power

There are some good remedies available at the pharmacy, from stool softeners to dedicated laxatives. There are stronger things than Ex-Lax, but you have to be careful with them (the good stimulant laxatives), as they can mess with a lot more than just your bowels. Also, I've heard it's very easy to become reliant on them to cause bowel movements.

I actually had the problem of diarrhea when I was drinking, so quitting actually restored my bowels to proper functionality. But the fatigue definitely rings a bell for me. I was prescribed Adderall (which I do NOT RECOMMEND), but I also found that caffeine pills worked wonders for me. Just be sure to use them as rarely as possible, and only for things you ABSOLUTELY HAVE to get done.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi JCNYJ! What works for me is (1) glass of water first thing in the morning with juice of 1 lemon (2) tablespoon of olive oil after that (hard to swallow for me but just have to do it quickly and I just do this until things are moving again) (3) ground flax seed - add it to cereal, yogurt, salads, smoothies etc. (4) lots of water. Hope this helps! Lisa
Old 08-01-2017, 11:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Water - a big glass before each meal.

Also, if you have some kind of step or low box you can put in front of the toilet to raise your feet you would be surprised how much that slight change in position makes. If you Google squatty potty the unicorn gives a pretty good explanation.

BB
Old 08-02-2017, 12:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I can't talk about the bowel problems, but the tiredness seems to come with the territory and just needs time to go away.
I think our bodies just get messed up as we take all the artificial stimulation away and need some time to recover.