Notices

Ten Months of Sobriety

Old 07-31-2017, 05:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ten Months of Sobriety

Tonight I celebrate ten months without a drink. The longest I've gone since I was in my single digit years. My parents used to give me alcohol to get me to sleep when I was young. This was in the nineteen sixties, when a lot of people didn't know any better.

I don't blame them. How can I? They're gone now, and besides, every time I bought alcohol or ordered a drink in my life, that was on me. I take responsibility for all my actions.

Ten months ago I was at an event I was helping with. My new girlfriend was with me. I wasn't drinking nightly at that point, but I was carrying a serious addiction on my shoulders. Still drinking a few nights a week. So, drinks were on the house after the show. I drank I don't know how many Longboard Lagers. Tall cans. Then we came back home to my girl's place, where she then had a liquor cabinet. I started into shots with beer chaser.

I blacked out, and woke up feeling awful. Gee, I wonder why?

I knew I was at a crossroads. I figured I had two choices...

One: Continue to drink. Continue to have health issues. Kiss the new relationship goodbye. Go back to living like a slob, too drunk and/or hungover to do any housework. Continue to have a terrible diet. Lose everything.

Or...

Two: Stop drinking, and this time for good. Get my health back. Move into the house by the beach with my girl (now my fiancee). Eat healthy foods. Live in a clean house. Begin saving for retirement. Get my mind clear and focused. Dare I say it--live happily ever after?

I chose option number two. Ten months and counting.

Life is better than it ever has been. I still struggle, but it gets better by the week. We work hard to have a nice place and it feels good to labor in the house and yard.

The thought of waking up with a hangover is repugnant to me. Why would I ever want that again?

Moderation has never worked. One night of a few drinks always turned into another downward spiral.

Onward and upward. Thanks to all here, and good fortune on everyone's journey.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had a lot of very bad times in the past ten months. Intense cravings, anxiety, sleep disorder, depression, foggy brain, rage, pain. I've also had good days, and it's been a profound and spiritual journey. I'm finding myself--the real me-- for the first time ever. And you know what? I'm not a bad guy at all.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on making the right choice and changing your life! 10 months is awesome...
Old 07-31-2017, 05:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Sounds like you are a "good" guy!
Congrats on 10 months.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Old 07-31-2017, 05:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This is so encouraging and inspiring. What a beautiful post.

We are so happy for you!

Thank you very much for writing this and giving us all a glimpse at what can be. Congratulations on your engagement, your new beautiful home and everything good in your life. You have created something wonderful.

Continued best to you!
Old 07-31-2017, 05:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great post and thanks for sharing your enthusiasm.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations on the 10 months!!! 👍 👍 👍

Originally Posted by livinginhope View Post
Tonight I celebrate ten months without a drink. The longest I've gone since I was in my single digit years. My parents used to give me alcohol to get me to sleep when I was young. This was in the nineteen sixties, when a lot of people didn't know any better.

I don't blame them. How can I? They're gone now, and besides, every time I bought alcohol or ordered a drink in my life, that was on me. I take responsibility for all my actions.

Ten months ago I was at an event I was helping with. My new girlfriend was with me. I wasn't drinking nightly at that point, but I was carrying a serious addiction on my shoulders. Still drinking a few nights a week. So, drinks were on the house after the show. I drank I don't know how many Longboard Lagers. Tall cans. Then we came back home to my girl's place, where she then had a liquor cabinet. I started into shots with beer chaser.

I blacked out, and woke up feeling awful. Gee, I wonder why?

I knew I was at a crossroads. I figured I had two choices...

One: Continue to drink. Continue to have health issues. Kiss the new relationship goodbye. Go back to living like a slob, too drunk and/or hungover to do any housework. Continue to have a terrible diet. Lose everything.

Or...

Two: Stop drinking, and this time for good. Get my health back. Move into the house by the beach with my girl (now my fiancee). Eat healthy foods. Live in a clean house. Begin saving for retirement. Get my mind clear and focused. Dare I say it--live happily ever after?

I chose option number two. Ten months and counting.

Life is better than it ever has been. I still struggle, but it gets better by the week. We work hard to have a nice place and it feels good to labor in the house and yard.

The thought of waking up with a hangover is repugnant to me. Why would I ever want that again?

Moderation has never worked. One night of a few drinks always turned into another downward spiral.

Onward and upward. Thanks to all here, and good fortune on everyone's journey.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 10 months!
Old 07-31-2017, 06:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

c011:
Old 07-31-2017, 06:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Smile

Congrats on ten months sober and thank you for sharing your message of hope.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Inspiring! Congrats on 10 months.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

NIce going on 10 months!! thank you for sharing
Old 07-31-2017, 09:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations livinginhope

D
Old 07-31-2017, 09:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

That's amazing. Thank you for sharing, and congrats on 10 months! That's an accomplishment to be proud of.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Congrats. Booze is poison.

It was the education about booze that helped me pull out of the death spiral.

For some reason, the mental damage scared me more than the liver damage.

My liver would ache and i didnt care, but when i started to feel horrible paranoia after my last binge, i knew it was over.

N=ver going to drink again. The behavior is unlearned.

Thanks.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:48 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Brilliant post! Huge congratulations on 10 months.

I'm a month behind you and you explain so perfectly how much better life is now. I always viewed myself as a high functioning alcoholic but I see now that I was just winging my way through every day.

I love how organised my home and my life feels now. And that organisation means I deal with stuff when it happens... no more sticking my head in the sand and panicking when everything becomes urgent.

I'm so happy for you and your fiance. Thanks for posting and good luck with the next stage of your sober life.