Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Strange thing, I find it easier when alone which is my biggest trigger

Notices

Old 07-31-2017, 03:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello all

I'm still here. Joined a few days ago. Just 14 days in. I've noticed a strange thing. When I'm home alone I'm finding it not "too" bad. I have daily cravings which can last hours or sometimes short periods but no desire to rush down to the shops or anything. I used to drink home, alone and that would be one of my triggers.

I've just been to a music festival where booze was flowing. I was driving and it wasn't as bad as i thought. Ive noticed bars arent a huge problem, mainly i suppose as i used to be an alone at home type imbiber! Had to hold my girlfriends drink for her at the festival, and no problem. The cravings came on fairly strong but I didn't think I was in danger of gulping down her cider :-)).

What gets me I noticed is when away at work and staying over in hotels. Something about that really triggers me and I find it very hard.

I reckon for me when I'm feeling cravings and the anxiety it's actually easier as I'm working hard not to give in, its like my mind "is on it". it's when I'm feeling normal is the problem. It's like my mind forgets.. I've found my mind suffers a sort of memory loss and goes into automatic "ah can't wait to get back home tonight after work, be nice to relaxe with beers". Then I have a skidding swerving moment where I try to catch myself. It's so strange. I hope one day I don't forget to the point I'm cracking a beer open.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well done 14 days
Old 07-31-2017, 03:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I totally get it toffee. Its when I go to the airport, or go on vacation. Its like automatic and I am seemingly not able to catch myself. I guess we have identified our triggers and need to specifically plan for them.
Anyway congrats on 14 days!
Old 07-31-2017, 03:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks folks. That's exactly it, I'm realising the dangerous bit for me is when I actually feel fine and I'm busy, like away way work. It'll only take a work colleague to say "what are you having" and I can see myself automating into it and by the time I've caught myself, my "stuff it, go on" switch flicking the doubt off. For that reason I need a personal mechanism to stop that. Mm, I've heard of this tape playing. I've got a mini stream of negative visuals and bad memories I've been using in my mind. I've noticed my head does a good job of sabotaging that imagery when it's trying to get radar lock onto a beer. It's crafty. I have to keep looping it to myself and it sticks ha.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on 14 days, Toffee! That's awesome.
It sounds like you are really tuning in to where you might be challenged and learning how to shut the impulse down. That's great.

Good work! Keep it up!

I'm only at 2 months or so, but already I am not obsessively "thinking about not thinking about it". It does get easier.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on two weeks

I was never terribly comfortable in my own company -that was one of things I worked on in my recovery, and my recovery plan.

I also had a strong streak of 'whatever I could get away with without anyone knowing'.

I grew out of that pretty quickly & after I while I realised I was pretty good company

Things can and will get better so long as we stay committed to not drinking

D
Old 07-31-2017, 10:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Can so relate. I was a bigger home alone drinker than socially....but I find it easier to not drink alone than out. I'm 2 weeks sober and had a date the weekend which she drank but I didn't. Was ok....

But airport and travels I'm avoiding forba while as they worry me. Need to get more time behind me.

Good work....keep it up!