Notices

3 days sober

Old 07-31-2017, 05:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3 days sober

Hi, I just signed up after reading here for awhile.
It has only been 3 days since I have stopped drinking and I am itchy, have headaches and have been experiencing insomnia. I have not had any real bad cravings-yet.
My life is at an all time low. I have bipolar disorder, severe social anxiety and depression. I am on medication for these things but meds do not really touch the anxiety and depression.
I have been drinking steadily since my wife and I split up; around 10 months now. I was drinking an 18 pack of beer a day. Since 18 years old I have self medicated with alcohol though not as bad as lately. I'll be 50 this year and my life is in shambles. I am depressed and anxiety has me nearly house-bound. I am trying to change my life for the better and I am sick of feeling like such a loser. Life is tough with these mental disorders but alcohol is really not helping me change for the better. I am broke right now so I can't drink anyway but I am determined to stay sober even after I get some money.
I have been thinking of going to A.A. just to check it out but my anxiety says No. I am thinking I can stay sober by myself and by coming here for support. Anyway, thanks for reading! -Rick
Old 07-31-2017, 05:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to Sober Recovery.

Originally Posted by rabjr View Post
Life is tough with these mental disorders but alcohol is really not helping me change for the better.
Life can be tough. Period. For everyone.

Get sober. Get professional help for your mental disorders. You'll see a vast improvement in life.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Seeking wisdom

yes. life is hard. I also have severe depression for 30 years. alcohol makes it so much worse. 3 days sober is awesome.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome friend. I'm sorry you're in a bad place right now. Why not make sobriety a bright spot in your life? There's lots of support here!
Old 07-31-2017, 08:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think you need to see a doctor. Support to you.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Welcome and please post often!
I know what you mean about AA... But maybe you can go and check it out. You may find it helpful and comforting.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies. Just so you all know I have been on meds and seeing a therapist for around 10 years now. Sorry I did not include that in my newcomers post.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

When drinking, the meds probably weren't as effective as they could have been. Sobriety should help with the efficacy of the drugs and maybe even the therapy will be more effective.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

As others have mentioned, sobriety will improve your situation and probably your outlook. The early days are tough, but if you stick with it, slowly but surely things will come together because you'll have the ability to be productive.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome, from my own experience medication and alcohol makes the biopolar spiral out of control, once you stay sober the meds will improve vastly, have a chat with your doctor also, just in case you need different meds, good luck
Old 07-31-2017, 12:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mummyto2 View Post
Welcome, from my own experience medication and alcohol makes the biopolar spiral out of control, once you stay sober the meds will improve vastly, have a chat with your doctor also, just in case you need different meds, good luck
Absolutely. See your doctor. And don't listen to your anxiety. Go to that meeting. They understand anxiety there!!

Be good to yourself. Best of luck in your journey. And don't ever give up.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Rick

D
Old 07-31-2017, 03:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Rick!!