Notices

Anyone tried bee pollen?

Old 07-30-2017, 01:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone tried bee pollen?

I have recently started adding a small spoonful to my yogurt and fruit. I am a sucker for advertised promises. Apparently it is some super food and in researching it I found that it helps "treat" addiction to alcohol and drugs. Seems dubious to me, but I was wondering if anyone has used it in this capacity. I am using it for the added protein and antioxidants and extra energy it is supposed to give me, I have been feeling so tired and sluggish and even vitamins don't seem to help.
I imagine it can't hurt, unless of course you have an allergy. I like the taste and the added crunch to my yogurt. The only negative is that it is pretty expensive.
Old 07-30-2017, 01:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

An added note, if you are like me and like to try new things, DO do some research first. I just glopped on a big spoonful. And everything was fine. However, after doing some research- after the fact- you can have a severe allergic reaction and should start out with one granule at a time, working up to a spoonful.

From the internet:
Bee pollen can have very serious side effects, including anaphylaxis and potentially death. There are some instances where it should NOT be taken.

Do NOT take bee pollen if you are allergic to bee pollen.
Do NOT take bee pollen if you are pregnant. This is not the standard warning you get on supplements when pregnant! Bee pollen has been shown to suppress the formation of new red blood cells in human umbilical cells. *LIVESTRONG.COM - Lose Weight & Get Fit with Diet, Nutrition & Fitness Tools | LIVESTRONG.COM
Do not take if breastfeeding.
Do not take if allergic to bee stings.
Do not take if you are taking a blood-thinner such as Warfarin.
Other side effects:

It can cause gastrointestinal distress and diarrhea.
It can cause a "healing crisis". This is actually a very good thing but can be uncomfortable. A healing crisis is when you start something that is assisting your body to align back to healthy stasis, but you are healing faster than your immune system can keep up. It can cause headaches, sweats, muscle aches, runny nose or tearing of the eyes. Do not confuse this with the more severe reaction of anaphylaxis in which you should seek medical treatment immediately.
Old 07-30-2017, 05:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Being skeptical of "miracle" cures is a wise move Mera. If there were one for addiction ( or any ailment ) I'm pretty sure it would be shouted from every hillltop :-).

Your second post is a great reminder of why the forum does not allow medical advice, even for natural or OTC supplements. Each of us can react quite differently, and sometimes in a bad way.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I remember when I lived in Italy, bee pollen was often advertised as a miracle cure. I've never heard it touted as such in the US, but who knows?!?!
Old 07-30-2017, 08:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well when I bought it I hadn't even head of the addiction treatment part of it, I bought it from a health food store to sprinkle on smoothies, salads, etc for added energy and the other benefits it touts.
In reference to your miracle cure mention, no of course there isn't, but there are plenty of things that help- or that people feel help and no harm in trying those out I would say. But of course after checking with your doctor.
Upon further research of this bee pollen I came across another website which stated it was "great for pregnant women, gives you energy!" whereas the above clearly states a real danger for pregnant women. Thus, always wise to speak with a real doctor and not go off internet research.
Yes Pippi, the doctors and pharmacists here love this stuff and recommend it for everything. I went in asking for something, anything to help with my energy levels. I am full of vitamins- all the ones to give you a boost- iron, B, potassium and magnesium (another combo they love here- remember Polase- the cure-all for anything???) but am still just feeling so sluggish, I think it is the heat.