Notices

Hello. Im a new member, starting out

Old 07-27-2017, 12:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello. Im a new member, starting out

Hi all

My first post. I'm new here. My brief background and what took me to this point.

I've spent about 19 years drinking, but not all of that "alcoholicly". I started about 18 and it was just social, on and off until about the age of 20 and then it was weekend one night binges with mates on a sat until 24. Then slowly more steadily until 27.

From age 27 started drinking 4 packs of carlsberg (the 3.8 pct ones not the rocket fuel ones ha) about 5-6 nights a week until I was made redundant in my job age 33. Then it ramped up towards my mid late thirties and it was more like 6-8 cans for 6 nights a week. Occasionally breaks in use. Towards the end this last year, was buying a 12 pack of calrsberg a night and drinking 8, sometimes 10. I still left 2 cans over but this shift had scared me.

Funnily I never had a problem admitting to myself that I had a problem with it, I just did an ostrich and buried my head in the sand. I have a stressful job. I've never felt I could cope with giving it up that day or week. I was afraid of doing something really,

I tried for a month last year as part of dry January. I lasted 3 weeks. I didn't feel committed though. It felt more like a "lets see how this feels". And it was misery ha. I still had strong feelings of anger with myself and resentment that I couldn't go back to social drinking and anger that through my own actions I had ruined it and now had to (what seemed on research) face a lifetime of holding ones breath day by day. Non of which seemed like a relaxing comfortable existence!

Anyway this year something turned in me. I began to have more beer tummy troubles the day after and generally felt more unwell. Plus the moving up to 8-10 cans this last year scared me. And so I picked a week when off and went for it. Tapered down a bit for a few days and went off piste by myself and instead of feeling regretful I started hoping to the stars I could be a happy man without alcohol for the rest of my life.

It's only 9 days for me. I luckily didn't have any of what I read about detox. Instead I feel very irritable, have an insane thirst in my mouth that I know can only be quenched by beer . I guess this is the cravings. They last all day! I read cravings are meant to last 5 mins, not mine! I also have a thick head, not a big headache, just a dull ache and feeling foggy. It's just downright discomfort and ill at ease with myself and boredom. I join a gym on Monday.

I hope this gets better with time. I'd hate for life to feel like penance,

Thanks all for listening!
Old 07-27-2017, 12:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You have come to the right place, some lovely people on here that know exactly what your going through, good luck
Old 07-27-2017, 12:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, much appreciated
Old 07-27-2017, 12:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey, Toffee! Welcome to you, my friend. Mummy is right, this is definitely the place to be. You're doing great so far - 9 days is fantastic! Please post often and read as much as you can. There's a lot of knowledge in them, thar Sober Recovery folks!
Old 07-27-2017, 01:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I promise it gets better congrats on a life changing, great decision and welcome!!!
Old 07-27-2017, 01:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Pippo, it feels good to even write down some of this stuff.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by madgirl View Post
I promise it gets better congrats on a life changing, great decision and welcome!!!
Thanks Madgirl
Old 07-27-2017, 01:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome and well done on nine days so far. Plenty of help and advice on here plus a place to get things off you rchest if you need to.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Taevans64 View Post
Welcome and well done on nine days so far. Plenty of help and advice on here plus a place to get things off you rchest if you need to.
Thanks, it was not being able to talk to anyone that I was finding tough. I don't want to tell my Mum or friends yet as if I stumble I'll feel everyone is watching as I've kept it a secret (that's so common I guess ha). My misses knows.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and good job on 9 days of sobriety!

You will find lots of support here.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome toffeecrisp (love the name)!! Congrats on what u've achieved so far, ull get tons of support here!!!
Old 07-27-2017, 03:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome toffee! You're doing great to get 9 days behind you. The uncomfortable feelings should get better - it's early days yet. We need time to heal.

I'd give anything to go back to my 20's & do what you're doing. I knew back then that I didn't drink like other people. Spent decades trying to be a social drinker, with disastrous results. That won't happen to you. Nice going!