Notices

just wanna shut the world out

Old 07-26-2017, 07:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

just wanna shut the world out

I have 6 days sober now, and I still am feeling so very raw emotionally. Like I just wanna shut the world out, because at home in my cocoon I know I can be sober and I feel safe, I just feel like I cant trust myself outside of my 4 walls. It is the kids holiday, not sure I mentioned I have 3 children before, 5,8 and 11 and so its great timing as I wouldn't drink with them here, but also means I cannot hide away, which is all I want to do. Only downside is the arguing is driving me crazy and not helping the stress levels!!

I'm not tempted to drink at all, far from it, I just feel really really angry and everyone and everything. I suppose its a bit of self pity, a bit of realisation of everything?? I really don't know. But I just want to shut everyone out so I can feel totally safe, I would be happy to not have to interact with another human other than who lives in my house anytime soon. How did other people overcome this? Is this normal?
Old 07-26-2017, 07:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Six days! Way to go!

Originally Posted by noturningback2 View Post
Is this normal?
Quite normal for early recovery.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I very much did this too in my early recovery. For me it was necessary to heal the body and mind enough until I was ready to move on in my sober journey. For me, eventually I needed more face to face contact with other people like myself so I began attending AA meetings again. But that was after quite awhile.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yes, it's definitely normal to feel raw/agitated/anxious in early recovery. Your mind and body are going through a lot of changes and it takes some time to adjust. As others mentioned you will want to start looking at ways to ease yourself back into not only contact with others, but physical activity and also addressing any health issues ( physical and mental ) as you start to heal. Quitting drinking is a great step, but it's not the solution in itself to many of the problems we face in life.

Coming here was a great idea, lean on SR for support as you build up confidence to go out into the "the world" step by step.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi, this is perfectly normal, felt this many times, I have two children on holiday as well, I am on day 6, what about a dvd for the smaller ones and drawing or painting for the older one, so you can just lay on the settee and shut the curtains until you feel better, wishing you well
Old 07-26-2017, 08:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hi and thanks.luckily I feel physically ok, I wasn't dependent on alcohol (yet). So I'm fortunate to not be enduring the hell of withdrawl on top of this. Its purely just a mental thing, just wanting to hide and let it all blow over until I feel ok and brave enough to face everyone and everything. Not that I have done anything wrong to anyone, I just feel like a dog with its tail between its legs. No doubt if I told them I had a problem with alcohol and I need to quit they would likely all say 'finally!!!' Maybe its shame, but I know in the pit of my stomach I'm angry and feeling sorry for myself, and I just hope this phase passes as soon as possible as its horrible feeling so scared, angry and bitter
Old 07-26-2017, 08:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Redmayne

I identify with this ...

II identify with this very much, perhaps because after over twenty years of attending meetings on an intermittent basis but for regular periods. I gained nothing until at the last two meetings I was handed a recording of one of 'Joe & Charlie's:Big Book Study Meetings'.

Which after listening to it whilst having my copy of the Big Book to nand told me everything I had been trying to find out in all the previous years.

This was in Nov.2007, in Feb., 2008 I got sober and remained so...taking my lead from Joe McQuany and Charlie Parmley and supporting Joe's view that for whatever is said about the Fellowship of AA, good, bad or indifferent it acts simply as as support organisation for 'problem drinkers', the key to recovery is in the book 'Alcoholics Anonymous'... I endorse this today.

In those early days of recovery I was so overwhelmed by what I'd learned and taking care of my own physical and mental state and given my previous experiences at meetings I couldn't face the prospect of returning. Which regrettably still holds true as I like others feel that the fellowship has lost its way. I'm sure this isn't true of every meeting, everywhere but it certainly needed thinking about for me not least as now I'd stopped drinking I didn't want to find myself in situation that placed that salient fact, at risk.

I know of others who have felt the same...so do not judge yourself to harshly and be thankful for all you've gained...
Old 07-26-2017, 08:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Love the Joe & Charlie cd fab