Notices

Day 4, emotions all over the map, Personal Messages

Old 07-26-2017, 07:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Gratitude Gardener

Day 4, emotions all over the map, Personal Messages

So I just woke up and I am still a nervous ninny in my life ever since my relapse.

There has been a desperation in the way Ive been reaching out here, and I just hope everyone is able to give me room without too much judgment, so that I can unfurl all the knots Ive been tangled up in emotionally and mentally.

I need to unfold all the tightness, and I just need support while I do that.

I hope you will all be patient with me and not write me off as crazy or ... whatever, because I desperately DO want to remain sober, and I do desperately need this support right now.

I feel like I am flying by the seat of my pants right now.

I also want to comment about receiving and responding to PM's here (as well as in my other group... as I am having the same issue in both places).

I dont know WHY it is, but I find PM's stressful. Really odd, and I havent figured out why yet. I guess it feels difficult enough to be posting in the groups, and PM's are another added conversation on the side which need responding to, so they begin to weigh on me.

This is not personal about ANYONE, I actually love to read the support encouragement anywhere I receive it. But I feel some bizarre stress around keeping up with it or responding.

Does anyone else understand that feeling, or am I a total oddball?
Old 07-26-2017, 07:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by herculana View Post
I hope you will all be patient with me and not write me off as crazy or ... whatever, because I desperately DO want to remain sober, and I do desperately need this support right now.
Post away. Do what you need to do to stay sober.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Keep posting, anything you need to do to stop the demon drink, good luck to ya
Old 07-26-2017, 07:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Some of what you may be experiencing is just post binge anxiety. Thoughts and emotions are all over the place. If you're like most, things will settle down in a few days. As Carl said, post away. Its all about support.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Totally normal to feel this way in early recovery Herculana. Your body and mind need time to heal. Alcohol is a depressant so your mind is rebounding and can sometimes be overactive, a big change from being sedated all the time, right? Regarding the PM issue, you can simply disregard them if you feel they are stressful at this time. It's most likely people just wanting to help but you are under no obligation to respond if you aren't feeling up to it.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My stress levels were off the charts in early recovery. Dealing with not drinking was hard enough, add stress to the mix, and I was a basket case.

Do whatever you need to do, I sure understand.

You can also choose NOT to receive PM's from members. Go to your user CP and make the adjustment, do it for you.

Hang in there, herculana, it gets better. Great job on day 4.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Dear Herc,

Be kinder to yourself! You need to make yourself the priority now.

You clearly are a loyal, caring person, often putting others first... Your boyfriend, your housemate, even strangers on a forum! You need to put the focus on self care in this vulnerable time. You can be a better friend, and more support to others, once you are doing better. Remind yourself of the old "you need to put your oxygen mask on first before helping others" idea.

If responding to posts or private messages is adding stress, rather than helping you stay sober, give yourself permission to not engage or reply. IT'S OK.

You've got to put your recovery first right now.

xoxoxo
Old 07-26-2017, 08:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Gratitude Gardener

God, I love you people..
Old 07-26-2017, 08:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

herculana, yeah, i have felt that way about PMs at the times i was already stressed with other things in my life....i knew, of course, that the intentions were good and people kind, but in my own stress it felt like one more thing i had to cope with and try to do graciously.
ignoring a PM would be much harder for me than ignoring a post, and i felt the 'obligation' to respond on a much more personal level, simply because the other person was so clearly privately reaching out, which seems so extraordinarily considerate....

keep going, and do what you need to do.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Opivotal View Post
My stress levels were off the charts in early recovery. Dealing with not drinking was hard enough, add stress to the mix, and I was a basket case.

Do whatever you need to do, I sure understand.

You can also choose NOT to receive PM's from members. Go to your user CP and make the adjustment, do it for you.

Hang in there, herculana, it gets better. Great job on day 4.
Herc,

As Opivotal said, you can turn off private messages and emails. I looked to find out where. Go to your User CP on the main page, then it's in your control panel under Settings and then User Options. Just unclick it.

You are not being unkind! People need different things to help them, some want to talk more, some need to post a lot, some just read. We understand.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Gratitude Gardener

THANK YOU FINI

"herculana, yeah, i have felt that way about PMs at the times i was already stressed with other things in my life....i knew, of course, that the intentions were good and people kind, but in my own stress it felt like one more thing i had to cope with and try to do graciously.
ignoring a PM would be much harder for me than ignoring a post, and i felt the 'obligation' to respond on a much more personal level, simply because the other person was so clearly privately reaching out, which seems so extraordinarily considerate....

keep going, and do what you need to do." ---

Word for word, EXACTLY how its been feeling for me. Thank you for putting the right words to it. My brain isnt capable of that kind of eloquence right now!
Old 07-26-2017, 10:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Snap - I'm on Day 4 also and my emotions are all over the place. I'm lucky I have some very close friends and family members to offload on otherwise I don't think I'd have the strength. Hope tomorrow is a better day for us X
Old 07-26-2017, 11:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Herculana, I'm sure you gather by now that you are going through 'normal' anxiety. Gosh, I was a mess the first few weeks. It's fine if you let the PM slide for awhile or forever. You are here to help yourself and that's what matters.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

the way the PM notification thing blinks at me puts me a bit on edge!

in your Control Panel, under Options, you can turn OFF private messages, or limit to only known contacts and moderators. and you can turn off the pop up message that tells you that you have a message.

it's good that you are identifying things that ADD to the stress - and that you are stating your wishes and needs "out loud".