Notices

Running out of time and chances!!

Old 07-24-2017, 11:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Running out of time and chances!!

Evening all (guess that only works if you're in western Europe). My story wont be unique in any way, 43 y/o, drinking more than I should for last 15 years or so (about 120 units (UK) per week), hold down a job, raise two teenage boys, although though they are older teens and one is totally independent. I have known for years that I have had a drink problem and have never denied it but after recent Over 40's Medical I got told I wont make 50, to be honest I wasn't that surprised but I'd like to outlive anyone in my family and make 65 so I decided to seek help.

Herein lies the issue and I'd like feedback from UK residents. I went to my GP who informed me the NHS in my area "outsources" alcohol and drug services to an agency. I work a minimum wage, temporary contract so I am at work when the agency is open. I have taken days off work to see them and all I have been given is an alcohol reduction plan told to go to AA and been told that because I can't attend meetings that's all they can offer.

I have no problems admitting I am very weak willed when it comes to alcohol and the idea of going at 50 just means I have 7 more years of drinking!! Has anyone else had issues with outsourced agencies and if so what the hell did you do??

I actually would like to stop but someone just telling me there isn't much they can do isn't much help
Old 07-24-2017, 11:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to Sober Recovery.

Originally Posted by expongo291 View Post
...told to go to AA and been told that because I can't attend meetings that's all they can offer.
Hope the forum can give you some hope and some ideas that recovery is possible.

Why can't you attend meetings?
Old 07-24-2017, 11:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, expo. I do not have any advice that you are requesting since I live in the U.S. I know that there are many on this forum who reside in the UK and that can hopefully give you some answers. I wish you well on your sobriety journey. You are making a good choice.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had to sell my car to meet debt repayments and leave my house, to get public transport at 6.45am and return at approx. 7.00pm. The agency who deal with alcoholism is 9-5
Old 07-24-2017, 02:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi expongo291,

I know that some services do a late night once a week to accommodate those working during the day...such a shame that the service in your area doesn't. I'm sure you'd find AA meetings later in the evenings or is it therapeutic alcohol support you're after?
Old 07-24-2017, 02:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome expongo. There is a lot of support available here on SR 24/7, 365 days a year. If you are interested in AA and don't have the ability to physically get to a meeting there are still a lot of options. If you don't have a car you could call the local chapter and ask for a ride, that's not out of the question at all. And if there truly are no physical meetings you can get to there are online live AA meetings if you do a google search. You can also read the big book online any time you like.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Expongo

if worse comes to worse you can do what I did which is use the heck out of this website - I posted when I felt weak, and I posted everyday to someone else - my advice was good but I wasn;t great at taking my own advice.

I made an iron clad commitment not to drink, no matter what. Somedays that had me in a foetal ball, but I got through.

Making a recovery plan is good too.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...very-plan.html

I hope that SR will work for you like it has for me

If it proves to be not enough you can always relook at those other options - like others said AA meetings are everywhere

D

Last edited by Dee74; 07-24-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi expongo291, I totally understand how you feel. As a fellow Brit, I feel the options available are very limited, a part of the reason why I feel I fail so often, as a lack of support. I have been to the doctor numerous times and each time the option has been a self referral and only available with the local Drink and Drugs service during normal working hours. Alternatively there is AA (which isnt for me).

As mentioned above, this forum is fantastic with a wealth of experience being shared and information.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please make use of SR as you make the decision to stop drinking. There is always someone online here and you can read and post anytime you want to.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This site has been the biggest part of my recovery plan. Spend some time reading and posting, check out Dee's link about recovery plans and also join the July of 2017 class. You can also make the commitment to stay sober each day on the 24 hour thread. You can do this!