Notices

Mood Swings

Old 07-19-2017, 12:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mood Swings

I have been involved in AA since 2009 but have yet to get more than 5 months sober. This time right now I have 3 months and 22 days. I am in a 6 month rehab program.
The thing I am having a lot of trouble with are the incredibly intense feelings and emotions. I switch from being ok one day to totally angry the next and then sad and then back. I always feel like acting pissed even when I'm not so that I can have people ask if everything is ok.
Am I totally alone in this? Help if you can
Old 07-19-2017, 12:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi. Can you get an appointment with the house psych. or general practitioner. Doc?
Do they have you doing any kind of theraputic things? Art/ music/ writing/ positive affirmation/ equine (horse) therapy?
Jules
Old 07-19-2017, 01:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to SR. You are not totally alone. My emotions were and still are occasionally are all over the place (22 months). Other members here have brought up the same issues you are asking about. I do think things level out over time.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. While four months sober is great, it's still kind of early in recovery, and mood swings are common early on.

The longer you stay sober, the better you'll feel, and yes, it does level out with time.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree that the swings can be awful and don't FEEL normal.
BUT, I'm with Jules...you should report exactly what you posted here to a doctor. It is certainly possible to have a mood disorder that is treatable with NON-addictive approaches.