Got a new lawyer

Old 07-18-2017, 08:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Got a new lawyer

I got a new lawyer who seems to be right on top of things. I got a packet in the mail yesterday and I don't even want to open it, but I have to start filling things out again and get it back so I can finally settle all the finances. Ugh. I have a lot of items to gather, etc.- any encouragement appreciated. I anticipate a battle from XAH. He has been dragging his feet and refusing to negotiate. I have to come up with some dollar amounts for car payment, mortgage payment. I have been living cheap and didn't want to even think about stuff like that until after the settlement is done, but apparently this will help my case. I think I will be very nice to myself this week!
Old 07-18-2017, 08:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Q,
You are doing awesome. Do your homework now, it will pay off in the end.
Hugs to you, you got this!!!!!
Old 07-18-2017, 09:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ugh paperwork. Keep at it. Get support and yessiree-bob, be nice to yourself>
Old 07-19-2017, 08:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Getting ready to open the big packet. Feel nauseated. what kind of discovery documents will his lawyer ask for? Getting ready to find out. Ugh.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

You've got all this stuff. If you get a headache trying to figure out what you need to provide, that's what your lawyer is there for. You shouldn't have to provide anything you've already provided in response to previous discovery requests or case information.

I still think your state handles divorce in a very odd way, but your lawyer can provide all the guidance you need--glad you feel like you've got a good one now.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

((((hugs)))) and lending a shoulder for support
Old 07-19-2017, 08:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

opened the packet. started gathering documents. Some of the stuff asked for was ridiculous, or as my lawyer responded,"broad, burdensome, vexacious, not relevent, etc." Even asked for diaries- can you believe that? it is laughable- where did his lawyer come up with this stuff? The divorce is final- we just have to do the overdue financial settlement.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My ex's lawyer did that. I handed every bit of it it over, internally giggling at the amount of billable hours required to plow through the mass of documents, including handwritten journal entries. I was allowed to redact whatever I wanted, but mostly I left it alone.

I suspect my ex was presented with a "burdensome and vexatious" bill afterward and it put him out of the mood to continue harassing me via the legal system.

Sending strength your way. And lots of hugs.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeah.... I'm not sure how relevant diaries are to financial settlement, unless your diary reads like a general ledger (I really like the word "vexatious".)
Old 07-20-2017, 01:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My little apartment looks like the FBI came in and trashed everything.Papers all over the place. Trying to get it organized. All this documentation. I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. While I am grateful I am divorced, I have been looking forward to the financial settlement so I can think about retiring!!
Old 07-20-2017, 02:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ladyscribbler View Post
My ex's lawyer did that. I handed every bit of it it over, internally giggling at the amount of billable hours required to plow through the mass of documents, including handwritten journal entries. I was allowed to redact whatever I wanted, but mostly I left it alone.

I suspect my ex was presented with a "burdensome and vexatious" bill afterward and it put him out of the mood to continue harassing me via the legal system.

Sending strength your way. And lots of hugs.
YEP!

My Exes attorney asked for 5 years of everything imaginable. I was self employed. They included every possible iteration of stupidity they could think of. I had thousands of customers. Hoping I would cave in. I was Pro Se.

I ended up delivering literally half a pick up truck loaded with documents. Categorized, color coded, and cataloged. Yes it cost me a fortune in copying cost. I delivered it with my inventory sheet for each item specified requiring hand signature that the item matched the request. Requiring it be hand signed for. EVERY PIECE.

Her attorney was steaming mad and said I can't do this. Umm yes it says hand delivery is an accepted method....I'll need it signed for in its entirety so the courts can have a clear chain of possession and we won't argue something wasn't there ( A tactic they had already used). She said this will take days. I said......probably weeks.

She refused. We took it to the judge. They lost. Suddenly her attorney dropped her.

Go with it. Don't object. Give them every scrap they ask for. $$$$$$$$$

I then asked for the exact same level of documents. To which the new attorney objected to. Sighting the same basic response ,"broad, burdensome, vexacious, not relevant, etc."

And we got to argue that in court. If it was expected of me to deliver at that level and I complied, then it was fair to expect the same from them.

The courts agreed.

$$$$$$$$$$ x 2.

Its a lot of work for you to do this.

It will be worth every moment in the end.