Notices

Excellent Alcoholism Memoir for Runners/Athletes

Old 07-18-2017, 06:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Excellent Alcoholism Memoir for Runners/Athletes

Hi all,

I am reading (actually listening to) Mishka Shubaly's memoir, I Swear I'll Make it Up to You. It is fantastic! His drinking and drug use were devastating, but it's the recovery that'll make you fall in love with him. Some of the things he says about running/drinking have really been sticking with me.

He says running is an inverted drunk - first you feel pain, and then you feel great. So true!

When consoling a fellow runner that was unable to complete a 100K race (62 miles!), he says if you only fight guys you know you can beat, you're not a fighter, you're just a bully. If you only fight guys who can probably beat you, you have a chance of becoming a fighter.

I related so much to his attitude. As a runner, I am proud of my grit and I am using that same grit and attitude in my sobriety. I think others may get something from it as well.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Read some reviews, sounds excellent. I'll be getting this book. Thanks for the tip.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks for the recommendation, will pick it up.

I'm currently on a last-minute training regimen for an upcoming 50-mile trail race.

Running has been a part of my recovery and I know several fellow runners who've also used running as a foundation of their recovery.

I wish I could get and stay as addicted to running as I was to drinking, lol.... it's been a struggle the past couple of years as I've dealt with motivation problems. I think it relates to the fact that in sobriety I am still dealing with chronic, mild-to-moderate depression that impacts my mood and energy and motivation. Summer time is easier - which is probably related to daylight hours, higher serotonin production, etc.... just a theory.

Anyway, I appreciate the suggestion.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Apple. I will definitely check this out.