Notices

Finally

Old 07-16-2017, 09:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally

Hey All,

Today is day two of not drinking. I don't usually drink too heavily, but I drink daily, and I think about and look forward to it during the day. This has been the norm for about ten years; prior to that, I was just a weekend party drinker during my twenties.

I have a great family and job, and don't want to ruin that. Several times I've quit for weeks at a time, and usually all that does is make me believe that I'm in control, and I start up again, usually more heavily than before. The fact that I've maintained a successful career also gives me a false sense of being in control. I have finally decided that enough is enough. I want to be 100% sober and set a better example for my kids. I've noticed them watching me drink as they've grown a bit older.

I've never sought out community in prior attempts to quit. I'm hopeful that this community will help it take, this time. There's so much more to Life!
Old 07-16-2017, 09:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! You're making a great choice for yourself and your kids. Read around & post -- we're here to support you!
Old 07-16-2017, 09:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome CrossYourHeart

D
Old 07-16-2017, 10:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, you are definitely in a good place for support. Making sobriety a life priority is a great choice. One not many of us regret making!
This is a great community with lots of resources... read and post lots..
Old 07-17-2017, 07:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Originally Posted by CrossYourHeart View Post
I want to be 100% sober and set a better example for my kids. I've noticed them watching me drink as they've grown a bit older.

I've never sought out community in prior attempts to quit. I'm hopeful that this community will help it take, this time. There's so much more to Life!
Hi CYH = Welcome.

I never needed anyone's help before.... UNTIL I tried to get sober.

SR with out a doubt Saved my Life.
Just having a place to come.... No one judging me.
Allowing me to help others too..... It is the strength I needed.

Good for you for finding the place..
Old 07-17-2017, 09:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum CrossYourHeart!!
Old 07-17-2017, 11:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome CYH and glad you found us. This site has been a wonderful source of support and encouragement for me and so many others.

Well done on your decision to quit and on 2 sober days.

This is a progressive disease that slowly but surely snuck up on me. It started with normal party drinking as a student and from age thirty it was about a bottle of wine a day. After a few more years that slowly progressed to two a day and sometimes even more. All the while I held a solid high stress job and somehow even got promoted, but the constant hangovers, anxiety and feelings of imminent doom (the latter two purely due to alcohol - I deal well with stress when sober) started getting to me and I knew I wasn't where and who I wanted to be.

As one of the wise moderators on this site has said (if my quote more or less does him justice) - I started realizing that I could be the person I wanted to be, or I could drink, but not both.

Having said that, I am only on day 13, but have had a few decent innings of sobriety, which I have never really had before joining this site. This time I am hoping to make it stick.

Please keep reading and posting and once again, good on you for making the decision before things really get out of hand.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

CrossYourHeart,

Welcome! So glad you are here. This is a wonderfully supportive place.

Your story sounds familiar. My life had gotten smaller and smaller as wine took over mine, after being a light drinker in my younger days. As I approached midlife, my former interests and talents were increasingly sidelined in an endless round of daily drinking, even though I managed to hide it. I wanted to get back the "old me", reclaim my health, and be a better example for my kids.

I tried countless times to moderate and/or quit, only to start again, thinking I "wasn't THAT bad." But eventually the consequences got heavier, the days harder, the regrets more desperate. One of my kids called me out on my drinking, and I was filled with shame. Once I posted here, and stopped trying to quit in secret, on my own, I turned a corner.

There are so many wise and helpful people here. Take a look around at the posts and the stickies at the top of the forum. I recommend visiting and reading each day. The stories will resonate with you and the more you read and post, the more it will strengthen you.

Best wishes and so glad to have you with us!

tealily

my story:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rate-stop.html
Old 07-17-2017, 11:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support and advice can help you get sober for good.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wow! I'm overwhelmed with the outpouring of support. It's inspiring and humbling. Thank you all so much. This would normally be time for drink #1: going for a swim instead! You guys rock.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

How are you today, CYH?
Old 07-20-2017, 10:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tealily View Post
How are you today, CYH?
Dang. Sorry, I just figured out how to get notifications. I thought the thread was dead!!

I'm doing great, thanks so much! Finishing up day six here, watching tv with the fam. I feel good.