Notices

Heart Palpitations?

Old 10-21-2004, 11:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Heart Palpitations?

Just wondering, done alot of web searching, but can't find much info on it, drinking, I am certain, is causing this. When I am sober, I occasionally have really nasty heart thumpies, sometimes I wake up at night and think I am having a heart attack, it for sure coincides with a big bender. Anyone else experience this? Is it dangerous? Something I should be worried about? Nasty heart disease in the family, but I am only 32. Don't have a doctor so just curious if this is a known sympton of being a low down dirty drunk. Heh made it 4 days this time before setting the wagon on fire.

I went to a doctor like three years ago, had some weird EKG readings, had a heart monitor for a month, but I stopped drinking and I was fine. Was a big waste of money.

Just curious, thank you for your time.

Dan
Old 10-21-2004, 11:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A little south of sane

Location: "For peace of mind, we need to resign as general manager of the universe."
Mill,

I've had heart palpitations in the past and I don't drink. I assumed they were caused by stress but it could simply be other things also like heredity, etc.

There is medication that will stop this from happening.

Might not be a bad idea to let a Dr. ck it out.

sigh
Old 10-21-2004, 11:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

I used to get them through drinking - smoking will make them worse too.

JC
Old 10-21-2004, 12:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Chy

Ohhh boy, bad memories! Yup when drinking, and in the middle of the night when coming down, see a doctor, especially if heart disease runs in the family. Better to be safe, and mind at ease then risk it no?
Old 10-21-2004, 01:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
pita

Hello Mill.
What your possibly are experiencing is withdrall,most alcoholics get the ...thumpies...
I know I sure did! the reason they happen at night after drinking is that your alcohol
level, in your body has started to drop and you start to detox, other signs are,
sweating,racing thoughts,nausea,sure signs that your physicly addicted to alcohol.
For me the symtoms went away in about a week,but with your family history I would
check with my doc,but please be honest with him/her about your alcohol use,they
need to know the truth so they can help you,remember drinking to relieve the
...thumpies... will only make it worse in the long run, good luck and god bless.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Mostly Sunny Skies

Dan,

This is unfortunately an area I have gotten to know a lot about. More than likely you are experiencing paroxysmal atrial fibrillation. The doctors sometimes refer to it as "holiday heart." Paroxysmal means that it happens now and then, as opposed to chronic, where it happens all the time. If they put you on a Holter monitor for 24 hours, or an event monitor for seven days, there is a good chance they won't see it, because it only happens when conditions are just right. You have to have an EKG when it is actually happening, which is not always easy. It took about three months to diagnose mine. That was about ten years ago.

Excessive alchohol deprives the heart of potassium, and the heart's electrical circuits begin to misfire. The upper part of the heart (the atria) vibrates (fibrillates) rather than pumping. If the blood stays in the heart chamber too long, it begins to coagulate, which can then cause a stroke.

Once the heart nodes are damaged, they usually don't heal. Continued alcohol abuse certainly can permanently damage the heart. I will be on meds the rest of my life to control my heart rate, unless I have surgery. The surgery doesn't always work, then you need a pacemaker.

If I don't take the meds, I can expect an attack at least weekly. It leaves me extremely lightheaded, winded, and tired. Before they found the right combination of meds, my episodes would last from a few hours to up to 12 hours. Your heart is racing at about 4 to 5 times its normal rate, so when it finally goes back to normal, it feels like you've been running up flights of stairs for hours. It frequently occurs during sleep or rest. It may not occur for a few days after heavy drinking. Once the nodes are damaged, it will happen whenever it wants to.

There is a fair amount about it on the Internet.

I hate to be so blunt, but I would strongly suggest that you discuss this with a doctor, preferrabley a cardiolgist who specializes in arrhythmia. This is nothing to fool with.

Regards,

Toivo
Old 10-21-2004, 06:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

its probably just withdrawal

I had the same thing 24 days ago...I've been sober for 23 days now, going to meetings etc., and couldn't be happier.

I had all the palpitaions, racing heart, high blood pressure, anxiety, and tremors...I actually wound up in the Emergency Room.

ALL OF THE ABOVE SYMPTOMS WILL GO AWAY IF YOU STOP DRINKING.
IF YOU DON'T, THEY WON'T.

And note, I am 30 years old, around your age....there is probably nothing wrong with your heart. I went through 5 different tests last year and only found there was nothing wrong... EXCEPT I DRANK TOO MUCH!

The single most influential factor in getting me into AA was the withdrawal sympoms, I just could not take them anymore....

Good Luck
Old 10-21-2004, 10:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hopefully Healing Up

I have had them

Mill,
First of all since I have not talked with you before, I am Roy, a 37 yr old recovering alcoholic of over 20 years of daily drinking. I never really put the two together either as I would have them randomly throughout the day and even worse at night (when trying to sleep). I was treated for anxiety, stress, diet, you name it except for the real problem...drinking. I hid it very well except for the ones nearest to me. If I were to drink one single beer right now, I would have them most of the night. I always thought that it could have nothing to do with the beer b/c I did not drink in the morning and never during the work day..just when I got home until I went to bed. Sometimes 6-8 beers and sometimes a case, depending on the night. Once you get to a certain point, it is normal to have this everyday and you will find that it will turn into shakes/sweats/loss of appetite/nervousness etc until you can get home or wherever and have a drink or 10. I have a heart problem and take meds to control that now and once in awhile still have the "flutters" or a sharp pain with irregular beat but it is usually brought about by too much caffeine or stress. However, I was making matters 10x worse with the beer and realized that when I quit. It took me three times this year before I realized that I can never have a drink of alcohol again. I would get the same withdrawal (near death feeling along with the symptoms) from one beer as I would get with a few cases (yes I could down more than one in a day). My wife used to buy me 5 or more cases for a weekend and nobody here drank but me. I could down a case and other than the smell, you would not know I had drank one. I realized this as a serious problem when every night became a near brush with death due to waking in cold sweats, strange dreams, shakes and my heart racing about the normal speed of a jet engine in fear for my life. So, I cut back to a 12 pack an evening...same result. Then down to 8 same result. You get my point. Your body is telling you that you have crossed into the zone where it is quit and get medical attention for the damage that has occurred with drinking and possibly hereditary traits or malfuntions, or die. I know this sounds harsh but that is the point in the road where you are unless you walk away from it for good. More than just an opinion, pure experience and I hope you understand and take it as such. I now have heart pills along with some pills for stress, these are problems that I have had since I was born but I self-medicated. Not on purpose, "I drink a few to relax" just did not wash anymore and I had to face reality. I did when I walked away from it for good and it was the best decision I have made in my life. I may actually live to see my grandchildren someday.
Just My 2 Lives Worth,
Roy
Old 10-22-2004, 06:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wow, thanks for the responses. tryinagain, that is me. I don't drink everyday, but close, and ya it is always a case or more. Hell my heart is pissing me off right now at work even. Night sweats? God, I can't remember not having them, ruin my sheets and mattresses quick. Sometimes when I am working out it really hits me, two months ago I was lifting real heavy and got all weirded out and light headed and weak and dropped 365 pounds on my chest, talk about owies. Glad it wasn't my neck

I used to pick on people who were drug addicted(not to their face) about being weak willed, etc. But it amazes me how weak willed I am. I am going to try my damndest to stay sober this weekend, I have not had a sober weekend in over a year. We will see. Thanks Roy, and all of you.

Dan
Old 10-16-2007, 11:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please keep in mind that we are not medical experts and do not give medical advice.

The best thing always, is to talk to your dr.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Anna is right of course.
I did exactly that when I started having irregular heartbeats. Mine were just the occasional massive THUMP! but it was really unsettling. I think a dodgy heartbeat can be the result many different things and as you can see from the posts on here most of us had slightly different diagnosis. In my case it was nothing serious but it WAS caused by my drinking. Since I stopped it rarely happens.
Anything with your heart you should get checked out though. Chances are its nothing sinister - just lifestyle related - but if you do need treatment its best to know soon because these things dont clear up on their own.

Good luck - let us know how you get on.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

hey Dan - on my last binder i was having those too and i think it was associated with the stress and anxiety i was experiencing that led to my binder so i think its a combination. i was told drinking just makes it worse. so that scared me enough to put me on he wagon for 13 days so far. good luck man!!
Old 10-16-2007, 03:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

As this thread is dated almost 3 years ago...
Dan either survived or not.

Members come
Members go
Bless them all.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I used to have a start-stop drinking habit. Because of my work, I used to drink heavily on my days off but I would not drink while working 24 hours on company premisis. Sometimes I would go up to 3 weeks without a drink. The palpitations I would get would always occurr while I was abstinent at work. Sometimes the palpitations were so hard I thought that I was having a heart attack. They would always occurr during the first week of sobriety. After quiting drinking, I asked my doctor about this problems and had an EKG done. My heart was fine and he said it was part of the withdrawl symptoms. I've been sober over 6 months now and I haven't palpitations in months.