Notices

Hi all, I'm new to this please be gentle,

Old 07-16-2017, 03:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi all, I'm new to this please be gentle,

Hi everyone,
I have decided to get off the turps,
I'm 36 yo male from Australia,
A normal day I will do 12-15 beers and twice a week I will have a big session.
Pretty sure it's killing me so have decided to pull the pin,
I have been drinking like this since 16.
I did do 3 weeks last year sober, First 2 weeks were ok but then really struggled.
Have decided to give up completely as I'm getting to the point where I go out for a few beers. The next thing it is a day or 2 later and I don't know where I have been or what I've done.
My wife is a RN and really supportive.
So I'm going to give it a red hot go.
Any support or tips would be appreciated.
I don't smoke. (Apparently this helps)
My wife and kids have healthy life's and eating habits so will jump on that bandwagon,
I do work 10-12 hours a day 6 days a week and this is where I think I will have problems.
Thanks in advance.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your decision to pursue complete sobriety. You are fortunate to have the support of your wife and that should help create some accountability which is always useful.

You will find lots of support here. Many people will you that it is important to have a plan and will post links on this. It basically aims to help us to stay sober once we have quit, and to ease into a new sober life.

Welcome and keep reading and posting.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome. You are young and you still have a wife that supports you. You are already ahead of the game. If you quit now you will be amazed at how much better it gets. Again welcome.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome. I found these forums about 5 months ago and haven't had a drink since. The support here is incredible and I hope it helps you as much as it has helped me.

The key for me has been accepting the fact that I cannot moderate my drinking and knowing that once I take that first drink it will be a return to a lifestyle that I have no interest in revisiting. Good luck!
Old 07-16-2017, 04:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Bib

Timetogetbackon your story is similar to mine. I'm a year older but drinking habits the same since 16. I've lost a lot but still got kids and wife with me....just.

I'm new here too, it took me a while to get to the stage where I could give up and so 'day 1' was really a long way in for me! I don't count days like some do but find it useful to check in morning and night to remind myself of my reality rather than get carried away thinking my situation has changed
Old 07-16-2017, 04:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, glad you have joined us! You will find lots of support on this website, and sounds like you already have great support at home.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

YOU HAVE AWARENESS, YOUTH AND SUPPORT. embrace that- learn now...
WELCOME AND SUPPORT.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Time,

Wanting to quit is half the battle won.

Copy your wife. That is what I did.

You are young enough that quitting physically may be easier. That ease led me to a 25 year relapse.

Thanks.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

A good support system is essential, and it sounds like you have something good at home. This forum has helped me tremendously over the 2 years I have been here. Its free and I use it. Alot.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good luck on your sober journey
Old 07-16-2017, 12:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome timetogetbackon

12-15 beers a day, in normal terms, is a lot to drink after work.

I think maybe the problem might go deeper than just long hours and a need to relax?

you'll find a lot of support and ideas here
D
Old 07-16-2017, 05:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

G'day everyone,
Thanks for the notes and tips.
So today is day 3 and I don't feel like getting on the juice, but feel crappy.
But determined.
Have no appetite and a little shaky,
Any ideas on how to reduce the shakes?
Thanks everyone.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Time,

It takes time. In my experience...you have to suffer. Anything that distracts,helps.

I worked,out all the time. I ate all the time. Hydration helped.

It took me over a year for me to settle down mentally. The cool thing was, nobody knew I was suffering. It was all in my head.

I took a b12 supplement w electrolytes, from costco. It helped w my,anxiety I think. The body gets deprived while drinking.

It took me a long long time to physically heal. I am just now starting to see some real strength return.

Thanks.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

eating properly and regularly, keeping hydrated, and getting enough rest should see the shakes off eventually - if you're really worried tho, see your GP.

D
Old 07-17-2017, 01:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to SR! 3 days is really brilliant and hopefully things will get a little better for you each day from now on. I definitely agree with Dee (he's always spot on tbh!) Keep hydrated, eat what you can face and rest. Time is your friend through this even if you start feeling frustrated that you're not "better yet". Maybe journal how you feel now as an aid for when you feel physically better. (SR has a blog function if you can't be bothered with old-school journaling) Because you will feel physically better and then that's when the real work starts. God I hated it when people said that but it's true. The memories of withdrawal fade and that's when many "forget" and go back to it. Not you. No way! Read, learn, post here often.
You seem to be a very focussed individual so make sobriety your absolute number one priority. I don't know if a few days off work right now is possible or if indeed work keeps you safe.
You're in a brilliant place for recovery. A loving supportive family and a positive outlook go a long way.
Take care and please stay safe.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. The shakes and generally feeling crappy pass at about 4-10 days depending on how bad things are going for you. If I recall correctly at about day 3 I started to come out of the fog, day 5 even better and at a week I was fine physically. I did drink a lot of water, take my vitamins and work out a lot.

I want to tell you about some vitamins that help, but I also want to say that it is really important to talk to your doctor about vitamins as well. There is a rule about no medical advice here, but it generally covers things like medications, etc. But I learned that vitamins can also be misused- you can take too much of something and it be bad for your liver, I know Vitamin A is one of those for example (which you definitely don't want!) or they can interfere with the absorption of other nutrients you need. So while a multi-vitamin won't hurt, for anything more complex bring it up with your doc when you have a check up.
So, things to think about and talk about with your doctor:
Multi vitamin
Vitamin B complex
Co-Enzyme Q-10
Potasium and magnesium
milk thistle
tumeric

Something natural to do is to have a warm glass of water in the morning with the juice of one lemon in it. Drink this upon waking and then wait a half an hour before having anything else.

But, with your RN wife and healthy family you sound like you have great support in that department.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:08 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks again

cheers. It all helps.
Feel a lot better this afternoon,
I take a berocca everyday have done for several years.
The wife has got me some "thylacine??" Tablets
I had a proper meal this evening, definately feel better from that.
The Bride has put bottles of water everywhere,
Fridges at home, work car, work fridge,
so every time I go to grab anything it's the first thing I see which sort of makes me realise how serious it is that I make these changes.

So I didn't have Knockoff beers today at work with the boys. First time ever I think??
Made it home a hour early, showered green tea and watching friends with the kids.
Feeling a little bit funny but still positive and ready for day 4.👍🏼
Old 07-17-2017, 04:25 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Way to go !

Don't let your guard down .. you are doing great.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:26 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!