Notices

Lovely where alcohol will take you :/

Old 07-16-2017, 03:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lovely where alcohol will take you :/

Back home after 2 months after having colon out due to drinking. It's given me a big stretch of sober time, but no idea how I'm going to structure things hereonout.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dreamsneverend View Post
Back home after 2 months after having colon out due to drinking. It's given me a big stretch of sober time, but no idea how I'm going to structure things hereonout.
I' m so sorry to hear that. I think one of the biggest challenges we all face is that our former lives (at least in my case) were built around consuming alcohol every day, and in most cases all day. When that stops, what do we do? How do we reinvent ourselves to more productive and joyful? Especially hard to do initially as we detox our bodies. Maybe the way to look at it as we are given a daily gift of either not spending time being hung-over and/or spending vast amounts of time sourcing and drinking alcohol (or in my case both) - what do we do with that gift? Hoping for a speedy (and alcohol free) recovery!
Old 07-16-2017, 04:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Im sorry to hear that dreams. TY for sharing that. Another reminder of how toxic alcohol really is. I hope you find a way to fill your days. Wishing you well.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm sorry that happened, and glad you are back home recovering. Do you have any supports in place to help you stay sober? I found this website was my biggest support, and still is. I read and post daily.

Glad you are here!
Old 07-16-2017, 05:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing this. I hope you are on the mend.

So often 'we' (society, alcoholics, MDs) talk of how the liver if effected by drinking, which of course it is. But there is less talk of the fact that ethanol is a Class 1 carcinogen (as are lots of other stuff....including the chemicals in lunch meat) just like smoking, asbestos, formaldehyde etc. 70% of cancers are caused by our lifestyle choices. I'm not sure folks always think about this and your post helps highlight how lethal alcohol is....one doesn't have to be an alcoholic. Its a C1 carcinogen for everyone!

Take care. There are lots of good documentaries on Netflix that can help fuel a new healthy lifestyle!!
Old 07-16-2017, 05:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks all: I do need to think about a plan/structure, as I really had no choice but abstaining while I was in hospital, so need to make the changes more conscious from now. Surprised at how the desire to drink has just gone in the bin so far, as something this big would have triggered it hugely before.

And Netflix will be a must!
Old 07-16-2017, 06:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Dreams,

The horrible damage done because of drinking haunts.

My physical issues are not as bad as yours but they were enough for me to stay sober 26 months.

If I ever fear relapse I will attend AA meetings and then get meds.

I did some serious working out initially. I was seeing double sometimes.

The physical stress overrides the mental.

If you are limited because of your colon op, there may still be a way to stress yourself physically.

My mental healing took the better part of a year to stabilize. Now I am great, and only fear relapse.