Notices

Losing steam

Old 07-15-2017, 11:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Losing steam

Sorry to post another low energy message...seems to be common today..but I feel like I'm losing steam 12 days into sobriety.
Actually got myself out for a run in the park this morning. Usually boosts my mood and motivation, but not today. I should be proud of myself bfor doing it but can't.
I have had moments today and yesterday when I questioned why I am doing this dry thing. I have had moments where I missed drinking.
I need to snap out of this now. I think I am feeling a bit bored, depressed, and very very tired.
Just needed to verbalize what's going through my head.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I understand. I got 11 days and then was feeling restless so I went back out. Treated myself to a whole new slew of nightmare withdrawal symptoms. What fun. There is nothing to be gained from going back out. Trust me.
Old 07-15-2017, 12:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Verbalizing is good, and it is good practice to verbalize to us here. We have ALL thought this. I hope writing our your thoughts helped clarify.
Old 07-15-2017, 12:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

TS- I shared this recently at a meeting, (the dreaded 'AA' one).
Many years ago when I sincerely wanted to get better- to heal and stop drinking, I went to a meeting. Not successful BUT one thing has stayed with me...
An 'old timer' shared. This guy had a face that told of his very tough history. It read like a book. He had been sober for decades. When he burped- people saw wisdom in it- because he just was.

He saud the reason why meetings worked for him- was it was a way to recharge bit moral battery. To keep fighting the good fight. When he felt down or low- not inspiration- that is what meetings meant to him. Although I do not exist just to revolve mjy life around AA- I do understand the wisdom in this.
Isolated will power never worked for me. I need support- to recharge. Be it AA, here, SAMRT, a counsellor or psychologist.
Old 07-15-2017, 05:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

re-reading old posts, or the posts of others, is a great way to remind us on the why we're doing this TS

Your problems still there, just like it was 13 days ago.

D
Old 07-15-2017, 05:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

The commitment to sobriety can't be contingent on how good you feel about your decision to quit drinking. It has to carry you through the tough times of early sobriety too.
Old 07-15-2017, 06:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

it's like a woman who just gave birth and 12 days later asks WHERE is my waistline???

they say it takes a woman's body a year to fully recover from pregnancy. which is a very NATURAL human condition.

is it any wonder why we might not quite feel WONDERFUL after all the year's a drinking damage? alcohol isn't anything we were intended to drink. in modest amounts (as in A glass now and then) our bodies can assimilate and even draw some healthful benefits from red wine - because it's made from red grapes. but those benefits are also found in blueberries.

it takes the liver about an hour to process one OUNCE of alcohol. most of us here drank at a pace smidge more than that!! so every additional drop of alcohol over that consumed in that same hour backs up and overtaxes the liver and other organs. and what happens to backed up alcohol? it ferments and becomes toxic. repeat that process over and over, day after day, year after year. it's really quite amazing we're all still here!

so 12 days is a great beginning......but it is just that.

i'm not a runner but i just read that for the average 2-3 day a week 3-5 mile runner, they would need at least 12 weeks to train for a half marathon. not 12 DAYS, 12 WEEKS. perhaps you can apply that type of thinking to your body's condition?