Notices

Physically Visible Improvements - Timeline

Old 07-12-2017, 04:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Physically Visible Improvements - Timeline

Let's use vanity as a motivator.

Whether you've been sober 2 weeks or 20 years, I'm going to make a list of physically visible detriments that I believe are attributed to constant, heavy alcohol consumption. Post, in your experience, how long it took to notice improvements or complete rebound from these visibly unpleasing signs.
  • No more red or glassy eyes first thing in the morning =
  • Ruddy, bright red sunburn face =
  • Bloated face and bullfrog neck =
  • Dry, flaky skin, especially on the face. Forehead, cheeks, etc. =
  • Swollen extremities, namely ankles, wrists, fingers, etc. =
  • Distended, tight, medicine ball belly, (especially in men). Not fat, not Ascites =
  • Overall weight loss, possibly as a result of no alcohol calories and better food choices. (This won't apply to everyone) =
  • Dry or brittle hair and nails =

This could go a long way for people like myself and others who have said they gave up on their appearance, hygiene, and their own reflection. I personally am so unhappy with what I see in the mirror that I refuse to look in one unless it's to shave and not cut myself.

Really looking forward to being satisfied with my looks again. Some of you are "lucky" skinny drinkers. Me...I bloat up AND gain fat at landspeed records when abusing. I used to break the bank shopping for band clothes before gigs. Never wearing the same thing twice. Now...I pray for cool weather seasons so I can hide in my hoodie and jeans. Summer sucks. I went from having a walk in closet of great clothes a decade ago to rotating between 3 XXL T-shirts, all black, and 3 pairs of shorts... 2 khakis and one pair of "gym" shorts.

I can't let my daughter see me taking so little pride in my appearance anymore so I can use the motivation. I assume others here can too!
Old 07-12-2017, 05:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've honestly always been amazed at skinny drinkers, I'm now roughly 80 pounds overweight and I think I've gotten off lightly considering the calories I've been putting away.

On one hand I'd prefer not to have alcohol to quit and weight to lose but maybe not eating would have made my health worse so... swings and roundabouts.

Can't tell you any improvements as I'm day one, hopefully will be able to someday soon =)
Old 07-12-2017, 06:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

OverIt,

I'm all for using vanity as a motivator! Why not. Really, too, it's rooted in good health.

I'm coming up on 2 months with no drinking. Have lost 5 pounds, but the belly bloat is way down. I used to look like I was about 7 months pregnant. (For years I'd been living in leggings and baggy sweaters.)

My eyes are less bleary and whites are whiter. Face is less puffy. Skin is brighter.

I'm sleeping SO much better and not snoring. GI/bathroom issues are gone.

Since I"m only a couple months in, I have high hopes for losing more weight. I had put on about 25 pounds. I'm eating more chocolate now to combat cravings, but it's way fewer calories than I was consuming in a bottle of wine every night plus junk food.

I feel so much better. I think other people have noticed too.

Nowhere to go but up!
Old 07-12-2017, 06:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

People tell me I look younger than my years, and that I look happy. I feel better overall and love waking up feeling good.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I spent my 40s being hurt and angry on the running paths and climbing mountains on a bike. I still didn't like what I saw in the mirror. But losing weight is 80% controlling what you put in your mouth, and the rest activity. Of course you should get with your doctor to set up an appropriate plan. Now days I'm not doing the ultra stuff anymore, rather transitioning to just trying to maintain healthy.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone...keep it coming. This is exactly what I need to hear!
Old 07-12-2017, 06:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Timeframes will vary, but you should see all of the improvements you're looking for if you stick to it. It would be cool if you updated this thread every few weeks with your progress. Stay strong, health and happiness is sure to follow!