Notices

I broke 2 weeks

Old 07-12-2017, 10:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sleepy

I broke 2 weeks

15 days. I know that's pretty small potatoes compared to some of you, but I've been waiting for this day. Breaking 2 weeks was a significant goal for me since I find it easier to stay sober by baby stepping.

22 days (breaking 3 weeks) is my next baby step, and so on.

I'm doing good. Coming here has helped, and I found an app on my iphone that keeps track of my days and allows me to check in. I like that. I'm reading a lot.
Writing on my personal sobriety blog has helped. Even if it's just a few sentences here and there.

I'm still very tired. I sleep so much. I mean like from 8pm - 8am and still tired enough for an hour long nap during the day. I'm not sure if it's common or not but I figure it's what my body needs so I'm not fighting it.

Anyway, thanks for reading.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can't get to the big potatoes without the small ones, so good for you!
Old 07-12-2017, 11:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'd call them milestones. Look forward to each one!
Old 07-12-2017, 11:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sleepy

Has anyone else been in the same boat as far as sleeping a ton? When does it end?
Old 07-12-2017, 11:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well done may eve, sounds like you are on the right track. One of the worst things for me was how poorly I slept at night whilst drinking heavily. No words can describe how much the quality of my sleep has improved in just 8 days! That healthy tired feeling that I now have when going to bed will never get old. I wouldn't be worried for sleeping too much - I think it might have something to do with our bodies repairing themselves in early recovery.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

One day at a time.... small but significant steps. Broken sleep is to be expected but quality rest is important - well done
Old 07-12-2017, 11:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Mayeve!! 15 days is amazing! You are doing the hard stuff now. Way to go!! Sleep is different at the beginning for everyone. It settles down after a bit. 30 days or so maybe.

You rock!!
Old 07-12-2017, 11:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on over two weeks sober! Keep going, it gets better.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sleepy

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock View Post
Well done may eve, sounds like you are on the right track. One of the worst things for me was how poorly I slept at night whilst drinking heavily. No words can describe how much the quality of my sleep has improved in just 8 days! That healthy tired feeling that I now have when going to bed will never get old. I wouldn't be worried for sleeping too much - I think it might have something to do with our bodies repairing themselves in early recovery.
The first 5 days I slept really poorly, then it was like a light switch flipped and I now can't get enough sleep. I walk around like a zombie and I feel dumb. I forget what I walked into a room for. I'm always yawning.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations Mayeve! I too have found that I sleep so much more than I did before I began recovery. One thing that helps me wake up in the morning is exercise.

Keep up the great work!
Old 07-12-2017, 12:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Fantastic on 15 days , keep going
Old 07-12-2017, 01:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Yes... Your body needs lots of rest. Your engine is being overhauled ... Brain is re-wiring (not really but you know what I mean!).

I was so tired.. seemed like every day around 3pm-4pm .. I couldn't keep my eyes open.

After the first 3-4 weeks it gets much better!
Old 07-12-2017, 01:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're doing well.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congratulations, mayeve! That is so great! Sleep will get better and better. That was the hardest thing for me at the first, too. But crawling into a comfortable bed and going to sleep naturally (after so long of just passing out) -- and actually waking up feeling WELL -- has been absolutely amazing.

Keep it going!
Old 07-12-2017, 01:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Awesome!! I have 21 days...feel great.
I too am very tired but I am sleeping well. Lots of changes both physically and mentally, spiritually and socially...good news is too much sleep never hurt anyone!
Congrats!!
J
Old 07-12-2017, 01:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well done, mayeve; 15 days is a great accomplishment. We understand how difficult this is.

Listen to your body; my sense that it deliberately slows us down so that it can expend the required energy on healing.

Sleep well.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mayeve View Post
15 days. I know that's pretty small potatoes compared to some of you, but I've been waiting for this day. Breaking 2 weeks was a significant goal for me since I find it easier to stay sober by baby stepping.

22 days (breaking 3 weeks) is my next baby step, and so on.
I'm doing good. Coming here has helped, and I found an app on my iphone that keeps track of my days and allows me to check in. I like that. I'm reading a lot.
Writing on my personal sobriety blog has helped. Even if it's just a few sentences here and there.

I'm still very tired. I sleep so much. I mean like from 8pm - 8am and still tired enough for an hour long nap during the day. I'm not sure if it's common or not but I figure it's what my body needs so I'm not fighting it.

Anyway, thanks for reading.
Great stuff meyeve, I have an app on my phone for keeping track too, it's a great motivator. You're going to get to 3 weeks and beyond. Keep doing what you're doing
Old 07-12-2017, 02:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Mayeve. Congratulations on your 2 weeks definitely not small potatoes - it is a very big deal.

I was exhausted for a couple months. I'd been drinking for many years. We've beaten ourselves up badly - we need to heal.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:41 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

2 weeks is great mayeve - I could barely make 3 days once.

D
Old 07-13-2017, 12:56 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

may- good for you.. as much as I cringe from AA clichés....one stepo at a time..
I often become fraught with anxieties of 'what if's'. Then I ask myself- does it matter today IF you did not spend that money? What would change IF I wait another day? Some call this mindful thinking....staying in the here and now, this moment- after all now is the only time we experience. Memories are the past- to access (like a computer) and the future, although we plan for it 9which is also important) cannot be predicted. Today- for today. It makes life more bearable, to be able to break it up into 'now' digestible chunks, instead of binge-thinking and getting overwhelmed.