Notices

Really have to make it work this time

Old 07-11-2017, 04:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Really have to make it work this time

Been a solid daily drinker for years. I am 36 and for the past few weeks I have been noticing a huge change in my sleep. I wake up every couple hours in a sweat and sick to my stomach. I reach for the wine or vodka and poof it goes away. I suffer from debilitating panic attacks and I have turned to self medicating with alcohol. Hense why I've been drinking for years. But it has to stop now. Before I do permanent damage. So far I've been ok, little bit of high blood pressure. I'm going to stop. I have to. I will be checking in with this forum a lot more and getting involved in the chats. Thanks for taking the time to read everyone. Xx
Old 07-11-2017, 05:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome aboard babyedwards

D
Old 07-11-2017, 05:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi babyedwards, it's good that you have recognised your problem and joined up. Keep posting and reading as I have found when i have been off the booze a few weeks I start to feel good then start thinking I'm quite normal and don't need to go on a recovery site. Start thinking I can have a couple of drinks. I'm sure you can guess what happens next!
Old 07-11-2017, 05:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, babyedwards.
Glad you found us.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When I was drinking, I had horrible panic attacks too. It turns out, the alcohol was CAUSING the panic attacks.

Anxiety disorders are real and alcohol is honestly not the cure. Go see your doctor and see if there might be some combination of medication and therapy that could help you.

Exercise and meditation also work wonders for anxiety.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
totfit

I would think you should seek some professional help in detoxing. If you are having to drink in the night to calm yourself, you might have some rather serious withdrawals. This is even more a reason to quit for good, but do get help doing this.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Can you go to a detox or rehab? You need medical help to withdraw safely. I used to drink the same way and also suffered from panic attacks. I ended up in the hospital with seizures and dt's. Very scary. Please tell your doctor the truth and try to get medical help. I have been sober 35 years now and have had anxiety treated with medication and therapy. There is help out there. Drinking is exacerbating the panic attacks and causing rebound anxiety.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soupcon View Post
Can you go to a detox or rehab? You need medical help to withdraw safely. I used to drink the same way and also suffered from panic attacks. I ended up in the hospital with seizures and dt's. Very scary. Please tell your doctor the truth and try to get medical help. I have been sober 35 years now and have had anxiety treated with medication and therapy. There is help out there. Drinking is exacerbating the panic attacks and causing rebound anxiety.

I'm terrified to go anywhere. I have agoraphobia and rarely leave the house. I so scared to go to the hospital because I'm worried they will tell me something is horribly wrong. I'm just scared.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Are you able to taper your alcohol? Can your doctor prescribe you a benzo so you can safely withdraw at home? Is that an option? Have you tried any antidepressants for you anxiety?
Old 07-11-2017, 07:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have seroquel for anxiety and clonazepam for break thru panic attacks. I don't take them because they stupid part is I would rather drink then take a tablet. I'm scared of the tablets but I'll down a whole bottle of wine. I've been prescribed these meds for years and they just sit here. My life is falling apart faster then I can hang on. I just keep reaching for the booze for the short term fix everyday
Old 07-11-2017, 07:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 07-11-2017, 07:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I see. It sounds like you have the medication around that will help to ease the withdrawal process. When you decide you are ready to quit alcohol, you will be able to do it. It sounds like you are not ready to stop drinking. When you are, we will still be here.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

By the way, how do you get to a liquor store daily if you are agoraphobic?
Old 07-11-2017, 07:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I need to stop. I have to stop. My body is giving me warning signs. I'm tired of waking up sick. I'm tired of hating myself. I do not want a quick fix to be reaching for booze. I can be stronger then this and I'm sick of being a slave to alcohol. It's ridiculous. I'm 36 years old. I've wasted 6 years of my life already. I'll be damned if I waste the next 6.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soupcon View Post
By the way, how do you get to a liquor store daily if you are agoraphobic?
My husband is an enabler.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Babyedwards - Great to meet you.

Stay close to SR and read and reply to others. I find it helpful to stay engaged and not really into going to meetings or anything like that ... So this site is wonderful !
Old 07-11-2017, 08:13 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

So he knows about your alcoholism. Would he be supportive of your effort to quit?
Old 07-11-2017, 08:15 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hey there, welcome to SR I too suffer panic attacks and for years tried to drink them away.....with sober time and self help etc improvements will come.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:16 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

P.s im agoraphobic too, we CAN get well!
Old 07-11-2017, 08:16 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

He would be a million times supportive. It's just embarrassing to admit my problems. But I'm ready to suck It up and start the next clean chapter of my life.