Notices

Day 8 New Member here

Old 07-10-2017, 06:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 8 New Member here

Long time alcoholic here on Day 8.... Not to "brag" or anything, but I have tried quitting at LEAST 100 times. 2 stints in Rehab, 2 stints in detox, and many trips to the ER, etc, I am sure that alot of you have been down this same road before as well... I hope that I am not offending anyone, but I am not a fan of AA, as I have had some bad experiences, and will just leave it at that.
This time I was able, through sheer agony, to detox at home without meds, and now after 8 days, am finally starting to feel better. Most of the time, I feel hopeful, even "serene" this go-round, but I have certain parts of the day where my cravings are sooo bad, that I become immediately depressed, and the disease is telling me "screw it....... it isn't worth it.....just have a drink..." To overcome these cravings, I have been staying close to home, avoiding drinking buddies, and exercising alot, but it never seems to be enough.
Should I be considering Naltrexone? Or perhaps seeing a therapist?? I went on anti-depressants once before in this situation, starting drinking again WHILE ON THE MEDS, and nearly lost my mind withdrawing from them, so not sure that I would entertain that idea again....lol
Any thoughts are welcome, and thank you in advance!
Old 07-10-2017, 07:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Hey - Carlsbrad... I've been to SCal and really liked the area you are in.... Def a lot mellower than LA.

Anyways. GREAT going on Day 8. Brag Brad... It's OK!

I cannot comment on the medical questions.
This is something you should speak to Doctor.

But you know.. you will feel and better without Alcohol...
Exercise is wonderful too...

Have a great DAY!
Old 07-10-2017, 09:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

welcome- lots of meetings, do stuff- get a counsellor.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MidnightRider View Post
Hey - Carlsbrad... I've been to SCal and really liked the area you are in.... Def a lot mellower than LA.

Anyways. GREAT going on Day 8. Brag Brad... It's OK!

I cannot comment on the medical questions.
This is something you should speak to Doctor.

But you know.. you will feel and better without Alcohol...
Exercise is wonderful too...

Have a great DAY!
@MidnightRider
Appreciate the support! Yeah...i did my ten years living up in LA, it is whole different ball game down in North County San Diego to be sure. I cannot think of a better place to get sober- There are a gazillion better things to do than drink. I am tired of wasting time myself
Old 07-10-2017, 03:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Carlsbrad...welcome to SR 💜

Sounds like you went through a lot to get to day 8...congratulations. So your previous attempts will have helped you fail-forward to this...your final attempt. I found psychotherapy very helpful in all areas of my life, not just in relation to alcohol. I've completed a book and online based recovery programme which again I also found very helpful. I have a sobriety mentor who is a good friend who has 9 years of sobriety.

Wishing you well on your recovery journey x
Old 07-10-2017, 03:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Brad, you are in my hometown! Well Carlsbad and Encinitas... Super congrats on 8 days!!!

I know you said you aren't a fan of aa, and I have to admit I hardly ever go myself these days. But like you, I tried about 50000 times and ways to get sober. Had six months several times. The one thing that got me off alcohol in a way that I felt truly liberated from the crap.... was to suck it up and do the aa steps. With a sponsor who understood me and was really cool (but sometimes firm when I needed it).

I don't live in Cali anymore, but go home a lot for family. I know a few really cool meetings if you are interested in maybe giving it a go.

Here's what it took for me: when I said no to things, I always went back to the bottle. When I felt so damned beat up I decided to stop saying no, and opened myself up in ways I never would have before, I finally got it.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family CB. Eight days sober is a good start. It takes a while before your body and brain get back to normal, so expect some ups and downs, but it really does get better the longer you're sober.

I hope our support can help you stay sober for good.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Carlbrad

Only your doctor can tell you if a particular med is right or suitable for you. Ask him or her and keep us updated

Congrats on day 8

D
Old 07-10-2017, 05:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

8 days is wonderful, Carlsbrad. So glad you joined us.

It takes a long time to finally admit that alcohol is never going to do a thing for us. It's not going to relieve our anxiety or help us have an easier or happier life. I sure did believe it was an answer once - but I ended up dependent on it. Never wanted to do anything unless it involved drinks. No way to live. You can get free.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome carlsbrad, SR has been a huge in my sobriety. Welcome to the family
Old 07-10-2017, 07:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

search Urge Surfing for those cravings!

Keep moving forward!!!
Old 07-11-2017, 06:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
You will get a ton of great support here. If you read around the site there are lots of great resources here.
One of a great many tools to have is a recovery plan.
There is also a class for this month ( and each month) that you can join to get support from those who are in the same place as you.

The best thing I can say, is that committing to staying sober, digging into recovery work, with an addictions counselor, a community dayprogram, a 6 week inpatient treatment program, and for me AA and having a sponsor and working the steps has made a huge difference.
But, if AA doesn't interest (I was once for a very long time anti-AA) there are a lot of other options for you to try and implement as a recovery tool. If you read around the forums you will find there are a lot of different ways to stay on the sober path

Also, working closely with your doctor to be on the right meds is the best thing. Don't mix it with booze. I did the same thing. It took me a long time to find the right meds- but until I quit for long enough, I couldn't find the right combination.

Good job on 8 days- keep going! You can do this
Old 07-11-2017, 03:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Carlsbrad!!