Notices

Day 5

Old 07-08-2017, 02:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 5

So the first big hurdle when you've been to the depths of hell in a serious 2-3 day bender is getting through the withdrawals. The withdrawals convinced me I was going to die at any moment or that my house was going to blow up for some unknown reason. Irrational fear. Then you get a couple of sober productive days under your belt and before you know it ITS DAY 5. Your AV has convinced you that it wasn't nearly as bad as you remember it, and surely you won't be so stupid as to drink as much as you did last time, right? Wrong, its the same movie getting played all over again. You get in that elevator and start taking it down until you are either so wasted or sick, that you have to stop. Then those hellish withdrawals again, and before you know it.....its day 5 again.

My point to share is that the 5-7 day cycle/trap is a vicious one and I fell victim to it for years. Its just as tough to break that cycle as all the others (in my opinion) but you can break free from those chains. Have a great rest of the weekend.

ps. my new picture is our lovely golden on the 4th of July. He's our buddy.
Old 07-08-2017, 04:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing, Thomas....you are so right! The av can be so damn persuasive. I'm glad to be here sober with all of SR.....hope you're having a good weekend too....and I like the picture of your pup!
Old 07-08-2017, 06:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great post to remind us where the cycle lands us.

My withdrawals would scare me for a 1-2 week break, to only return to where I started.

Never in my wildest dreams did I know anything about withdrawals when I first began this awful habit. It's the sign that we crossed over...no longer a hangover of the body expelling, but a physiological terrifying response to refill the poison.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

As I look back Thomas the fear is the hardest part for me to understand. In hindsight I dont know what I was afraid of. It was just there every minute of everyday. Man what a relief when it starts to subside. Thanks for the post my friend.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post. I makes be grateful that I have finally broken the cycle and gives me even more resolve to never drink again. It is especially timely since I am on a beach vacation which used to involve copious amounts of booze!
Old 07-09-2017, 10:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Keep focused and strong, look forward toward the possibilities in the new you! It's fun and encouraging!
Old 07-09-2017, 10:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
So the first big hurdle when you've been to the depths of hell in a serious 2-3 day bender is getting through the withdrawals. The withdrawals convinced me I was going to die at any moment or that my house was going to blow up for some unknown reason. Irrational fear. Then you get a couple of sober productive days under your belt and before you know it ITS DAY 5. Your AV has convinced you that it wasn't nearly as bad as you remember it, and surely you won't be so stupid as to drink as much as you did last time, right? Wrong, its the same movie getting played all over again. You get in that elevator and start taking it down until you are either so wasted or sick, that you have to stop. Then those hellish withdrawals again, and before you know it.....its day 5 again.

My point to share is that the 5-7 day cycle/trap is a vicious one and I fell victim to it for years. Its just as tough to break that cycle as all the others (in my opinion) but you can break free from those chains. Have a great rest of the weekend.

ps. my new picture is our lovely golden on the 4th of July. He's our buddy.
You scared me half to death with the title of your thread, Jeff.

You owe me a couple of years!!!!!
Old 07-09-2017, 10:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good thread, btw.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeah Jeff your title scared me too!!!

Good post, and a good reminder that addiction doesn't all look exactly the same. Binge cycles, daily drinking, it can appear in various ways, but addiction is still addiction.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Jeff, did me to the list of those that worried when I saw your post! Thanks for inspiring others.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sorry gang, didn't mean to scare anyone.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Day 5 here. Hard day. I'm reading to get through. Thanks.
Old 07-09-2017, 02:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Jeff, I havn't been on in a while and the first thing I read was your title!!!!

Glad to hear things are going well though....best of luck with the house.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

He is a handome guy, thomas.