Notices

Short term memory...

Old 07-07-2017, 07:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Short term memory...

Is completely shot. Literally asked and was answered the same question 3 times in as many minutes...scary.
I know it took a long time & a lot of sauce to get this way...but approximately when did you start to regain? If at all...?
Thanks,
Jules
Old 07-07-2017, 08:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Jules,

I was out of it for about a month memory wise.

My analytical ability came back in spades though.

I obsessed for over a year.

Thanks.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

For me, it was around six months when my memory was much improved. At a year, I felt sharp again.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks. All the more incentive!
J
Old 07-07-2017, 10:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Jules,

I am forgetful about certain things (my keys, phone...) but I started to feel like I was out of a fog after about three months. I now am able to have a clear focus on whatever I'm setting out to do.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Same problem with memory, here. I am at 5 months and am starting to "see the light". It's very slow, but I am feeling a bit sharper, like the fog is starting to lift. I am also trying to make a conscious effort to focus on things: where I place items, conversations with people, etc. When I was drunk/hungover, I didn't care. Lol. So I"m really trying to be present in every moment, now. Go easy on yourself, though. Try and laugh through it. That's what I do!
Old 07-08-2017, 04:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Too many unknowns to give an answer I would not anyway- that is for a pstchologist. My chronic drinking was bought to a head by a catastrophic event- I literally burnt to death. MY INSTANT MEMORY RECALL IS SHOT.
tHUS I HAVE TO WRITE STUFF DOWN AND DO BRAIN TRAINING - (a good example there with caps lock) and using mnemonic stuff to remember.

So at a meeting there is a person- who I forgot their name (usually takes me 3 goes. She is tall and very skinny. Skinny legs- looks like the number 11. Her name has 2 'L' 's in it. Instead of fear of the unknown or varied responses- I suggest you see your doctor, psychologist about this.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm at day 84, my stm is improved but not perfect.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hang in there Jules - it gets better

D
Old 07-08-2017, 07:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks all!
I wish I could go to my psych docs or a neurologist but I no longer have insurance. Thankfully my doc (who has long term sobriety) charges me a nominal fee to see him. (What a lucky girl I am!)
I think it can be chalked up to PAWS. It is very frustrating though. I just went out with 2 friends from AA & it happened a couple of times...at least they understand, reminded me of PAWS (for I had forgotten) ..the rest of the world not as much.
Plus still dealing with 2 stressful life issues...which at this point I am almost numb to today. I just feel flat... apathetic almost. Not like myself.
That said; not drinking. Not even on my radar. Day 17 coming to a close.
That definitely makes me very happy. And perhaps being overtly emotional about things for a bit is not a terrible thing.
I guess I shall find out.
Jules
Old 07-08-2017, 09:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Same problem here. Not yet two months into sobriety and I find that my short term memory is still not back. I definitely lost it. My family keeps asking me questions about the last few years (when I wasn't speaking to them) and half the time I have to say I can't remember....I hope it gets better. Sometimes I still can't remember things minutes after they happen.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Jules- I had problems with that also, as well as the inability to grasp just the word I wanted to use. I am pretty quick so I was able to substitute another word and "people" didn't notice, but I did and it scared me so much.

That ability returned and my short term memory has as well, I think - ha. I do make lists and such to corral my thoughts and to-dos for the day, and my fiancé and I share such in our ongoing life together.

Time is what helps most, IME. Patience with regaining "stuff" is hard and I definitely had frustrating moments in my first year (I am in my second year at 17 mo, almost).

Keep going!