Notices

Day 2 - new member

Old 07-07-2017, 06:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2 - new member

Hi everyone, I'm Sean

I'm currently on day 2 and I have to quit for good this time. My issues are with alcohol, cocaine and weed. I was sober once for about 8 months probably 2 years ago and I've been telling myself ever since that I'm going back to sobriety but I just haven't, I've lost a lot of motivation for life and I just want to be teetotal more than anything. Before I went on cool holidays, was way more happy, saw my friends and had more drive in my life. I'm sick of having no money because I always owe it out to dealers. 1 of my cousins sells weed and another sells coke and they live less than 5 mins from my house, not even my house as I'm still at my parents at 30 years old now which just makes me feel awful too. I'm fortunate enough to have my job still which I like because I get sent away for events around the uk and the world sometimes, when I'm away with work I never indulge in anything, ever. When I return to my town it's like I get bored and it's known as a party town, there will always be people out and I think i binge to block out myself, it's like I let a carefree alter ego take over and I don't have to worry anymore. People tell me I don't have a problem and I'm just normal but I'm not, I shouldn't want to dull myself from my life, I feel like I've wasted pretty much my whole twenties being high in some form or another and I want it to stop now before it becomes much more harder to stop. Thanks for reading, I've been looking at this site for a while and can see there's a lot of kind and helpful people here.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Hey SeanFox-
Day 2 is a great start !

Don't dwell on past... only look forward.
Freedom from drugs and alcohol is amazing.

May I suggest going for a nice long hike... in my early days it helped me to just walk... fresh air and clarify my thoughts.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome SeanFox - I've on Day 2 again also - you will get plenty of support on here. Just keep reading X
Old 07-07-2017, 07:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome.
You can get sober and live the life that you desire. There are many different roads to getting sober. AA, SMART, AVRT, SR and many others. Give some time into researching them and then find what works for you and run with it.

I take many different approaches to my own sobriety. This website has been the #1 tool for interacting and supporting other alcoholics/ drug addicts.

Many of the members will talk of a plan. Having a plan in place is an essential part of recovery. What steps will you take to stop using or drinking? The action taken before the use is the most important.

Example: If I think of drinking or think it might be a good idea, I get onto this forum and post or read and remember all the reasons why I have made the decision to leave alcohol behind.

You can do this. It will take work. It will take dedication. The work is worth it 100% .

Please keep posting. There are 24 hr threads and monthly threads that help members to stay accountable for their sobriety. We are all in this together.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MidnightRider View Post
Hey SeanFox-
Day 2 is a great start !

Don't dwell on past... only look forward.
Freedom from drugs and alcohol is amazing.

May I suggest going for a nice long hike... in my early days it helped me to just walk... fresh air and clarify my thoughts.
Thanks MidnightRider, I do enjoy a nice walk whilst listening to music so I'm going to do a lot more of them to keep a clear head.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Susiegirl View Post
Welcome SeanFox - I've on Day 2 again also - you will get plenty of support on here. Just keep reading X
Thanks Susie, this will definitely be my go to place when I need advice. I hope you're doing well on your 2nd day too
Old 07-07-2017, 07:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mizzuno View Post
Welcome.
You can get sober and live the life that you desire. There are many different roads to getting sober. AA, SMART, AVRT, SR and many others. Give some time into researching them and then find what works for you and run with it.

I take many different approaches to my own sobriety. This website has been the #1 tool for interacting and supporting other alcoholics/ drug addicts.

Many of the members will talk of a plan. Having a plan in place is an essential part of recovery. What steps will you take to stop using or drinking? The action taken before the use is the most important.

Example: If I think of drinking or think it might be a good idea, I get onto this forum and post or read and remember all the reasons why I have made the decision to leave alcohol behind.

You can do this. It will take work. It will take dedication. The work is worth it 100% .

Please keep posting. There are 24 hr threads and monthly threads that help members to stay accountable for their sobriety. We are all in this together.

Thanks Mizzuno, I'm going to make sure I do a plan soon and bear in mind where I've slipped up in the past. I'll also do some internet surfing about other recovery help groups. Cheers for your post.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome SF,
Well done on day 2, I know I didn't need anyone to tell me I had a problem in fact people would have said I was normal too because I hid my insane drinking. You know in your own mind when enough is enough. Wish you well in your journey!
Old 07-07-2017, 09:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Charli23 View Post
Welcome SF,
Well done on day 2, I know I didn't need anyone to tell me I had a problem in fact people would have said I was normal too because I hid my insane drinking. You know in your own mind when enough is enough. Wish you well in your journey!
Thanks Charli, I've known enough has been enough for a while but it's time to make that change. I found an app for my phone which tracks my progress too, I'm hoping it'll help me stay motivated. I get that Fear of Missing Out too which I want to learn how to handle.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

There is nothing to miss really. Who needs a hangover? Who needs to feel like **** all the time?

This is what I tell myself if alcohol thoughts creep in. Its usually when I am hungry. So, I fuel up and watch those thoughts disappear.

You can do this. We all can. We are here for you.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey Sean and welcome to SR. This site is the reason that I've got nearly 4 months sober. The support here is fantastic. I hope you go from strength to strength.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Millions of people have achieved sobriety so its possible for everyone. But be prepared for the fight of your life because it just might be. Do whatever is necessary to avoid succumbing to drinking or getting high. Wish you the best.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome, Sean and we all start with one day and you are on day 2. Believe me, I've repeated a few day 1's before so push on! You have some good advice here and I concur that having a plan for sobriety is a must and part of that plan is what to do with bored time, restless energy, etc. You have to break old habits and often, even the relationships those habits involved. This is life or death and the ONLY thing for some time, that should be important to you, is your continuing sobriety. All my best and prayer for you!
Old 07-07-2017, 11:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mizzuno View Post
There is nothing to miss really. Who needs a hangover? Who needs to feel like **** all the time?

This is what I tell myself if alcohol thoughts creep in. Its usually when I am hungry. So, I fuel up and watch those thoughts disappear.

You can do this. We all can. We are here for you.

You're so right, this needs to be my new mentality after all what have I ever actually gained from the times I didn't miss, absolutely nothing.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Sean - you'll find a lot of support and good ideas here

D
Old 07-07-2017, 06:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We're here to encourage you, Sean. SR helped me get sober after drinking most of my life. You can do it! Congrats on your 2 days.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Day 83 here. I would never have believed it possible, but here I am, so stay strong! It will happen !
Old 07-07-2017, 11:51 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Do it man. I can't guarantee it will be easy but you won't regret it!
Old 07-08-2017, 02:59 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I've made it to Day 3 Sean - How about you? Did you sleep well?