Notices

Trying to erase some memories

Old 07-06-2017, 11:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to erase some memories

I know why I drank...it blunts the pain and erases memories for (but I'm learning it actually just postpones them for a little while). Anyone know a good resource for getting past domestic violence and sexual assault? I want to get to place where I can share my story (especially with high school and college kids). and hopefully help someone avoid the traps I feel into.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't really know but hopefully someone will come along that does. In the mean time just remember you're not alone.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Hello76

I have no personal experience to share but I know of RAINN - it's a good site for crisis lines and other resources
https://www.rainn.org/

also:

Pandora's Aquarium, an online support group, message board, and chat room for survivors rape, sexual assault, and sexual abuse.

Pandora's Aquarium - message board and chat room for rape and sexual abuse survivors

Forums - Pandora's Aquarium

After Silence, a web-based organization, message board, and chat room for rape, sexual assault, and sexual abuse survivors.

Rape & Sexual Abuse Survivor Message Board, Support Forums & Chat Room

All the best to you and your journey towards healing

D
Old 07-07-2017, 12:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome to you. I am sorry for what you have been through. I can imagine the desire to move past it into a stronger place is strong.

I have heard that people have had great success with EMDR https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_mo...d_reprocessing

Full disclosure: I tired this type of therapy with a psychologist for some time and did not notice anything in particular. I fear I wasn't doing it correctly or something because most of the people I know personally (via this form or in real life) have had success with it.

Another technique is called "Tapping" This wikipedia entry does not speak very highly of it, but I know several people who use it and have found it effective. I tried it to prepare for a surgery, I was very nervous about going under anaesthesia and I do feel it reduced my anxiety.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotio...dom_Techniques
Old 07-07-2017, 04:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi.
RAINN is an excellent resource.
EMDR worked quite well for me.
I'm unsure you will be able to "erase" memories, but EMDR does help to difuse unvisitable things. It's very important to recognize that what happened is *not your fault and also you are not what happened.
Humans have a tendency to want to stuff these kinds of things into the back of the closet so to speak...eventually things start busting out of the closet. A real mess ensues.

Get a good therapist. I found often I had to interview them...as it is imperative that you are comfortable.

I'm very proud of you for seeking help. Many victims remain silent, never allowing for healing...not being able to become survivors and then thrivers.
It is very noble that you want to help others in these situations. You already have by coming here and sharing your story.
I have been abused emotionally, physically and sexually by both sexes and with lots of therapy (CBT, Art & EMDR) I got much better. In fact, these traumas are not even the real catalyst to my alcoholism! I picked up the bottle at age 35 after my alcoholic/addict cheating husband left me fresh out of his rehab.
There is much hope.
Take gentle care,
Jules
Old 07-07-2017, 06:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I admire your courage and resolve.

Depending on your country/state, there are public social workers at county hospitals who can serve as a clearing house for information. Planned Parenthood provides counseling services for women. Often local AA Chapters are affiliated with an 'Intergroup' at the administrative level, that consists of behavioral and mental health professionals. These are all resources that may help you find what you are looking for with confidentiality.

You can also start cold calling therapists. I think therapy is great, and agree with another poster who said you are well within your right to research and therapists and their techniques/philosophy.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hello76 View Post
I know why I drank...it blunts the pain and erases memories for (but I'm learning it actually just postpones them for a little while). Anyone know a good resource for getting past domestic violence and sexual assault? I want to get to place where I can share my story (especially with high school and college kids). and hopefully help someone avoid the traps I feel into.
Ditto. I found that reading memoirs of abuse survivors helped. Lisa A. Romano turned my entire world view upside down with Road Back to Me. That led me to the book Codependent No More.

Check out Lisa's youtube channel.

Time is the only thing that erases memories.. well it dulls them.. if you're creating new ones. Drinking makes it hard to create new, positive memories. So it actually ensures you stay stuck.