Notices

Getting lazy in my program

Old 10-20-2004, 04:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Be good to one another!

Red face Getting lazy in my program

Hey everyone!
Just wanted to share because I haven't latelly. My program is getting to be less than high priority...... 11/28/04 and I will be able to celebrate a year without drinking. (One day at a time). But my meetings have gotten fewer and fewer. I don't have the need to drink, but I understand this disease is tricky. I have all the usaul excuses. Life is hetic, my job is demanding, not enough time in the day. But today I can't seem to put my finger on what the problem is. I am pretty much without a sponser at this moment. I have one but our relationship has become distant. We were doing pretty well while in the first few steps, but n ow that I'm in my ninth step there seems to be little to talk about. I am a typical drunk. a loner by most standards. Although I like to say I play well in my own sand box....... I could go on and on here. I think I need something to kick start my program before I get myself into trouble.. Does anyone have any advice? I am always willing to try something new. Thank you for your time......... Have a great day.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Mostly Sunny Skies

Heynup,

First, nearly a year is a really great acomplishment. It is something to be really proud of.

I think most of us know just how bad backsliding can be, so your caution is well understood.

I'm at a point where I don't need much assistance, but I do need constant reminders. There are days when I think, boy, just one nice cold beer, or just one glass of wine with a great meal sure would be wonderful. Then I come to my senses.

If you were like me, one was never enough. We tend to forget how bad it was. This forum is fantastic for reminding us.

I seldom miss a day of reading here. I've dug way back. There are enough reminders, written by people just like me, that knock me back to reality every day.

Good luck, and just don't give up. Read, read, and read some more.

Toivo
Old 10-20-2004, 08:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have been sober for one year and know exactly what you are going through. Busy at work, no time for meetings, changing priorities are all things I dealt with.

I was in outpatient treatment with a really nice guy that had a relapse after ten years of sobriety - to make matters worse, he then picked up his second DUI. I learned a lot from him, but the two main things were to never turn a blind eye to our disease because there is no cure, and that stress and circumstances can lead to relapse, that is why meetings are so important.

He stopped going to meetings, got a new job and joined a group of people that would stop for a drink after work. You know the rest!

Like Toivo said, do not get complacent and get back to the meetings!! That is what really worked for me.

Take care.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

(((Heynup)))

You sound just like me. In need of a meeting, a sponser and at a stand still, on step nine. I need a shove forward.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
cj.
Mending

Hey heynup:

Taking time for recovery today will save the life you have built for yourself.

When we stop doing the things that help our spirit grow, we begin to feel an emptiness inside again and that feeling is rich fodder for our disease to grow in our mind.

I hope you will proudly post on 11/28/04 that you made your year!

cj
Old 10-21-2004, 06:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Chy

Now sober life get's real busy. I've got a lot on my plate as well and I understand that complacency. For me, it shows when I don't do any work, skip meetings, thank HP. I was in a similar funk last week, wondering why I was buggying, moody, stressed..etc. I had missed my meetings all of them last week, I hadn't done any step work in 2 months, and I was forgeting to listen to HP.

So Friday I went to a meeting, heard what I needed to hear, came home and journaled on my step work for almost 3 hours! I was surprised how the time flew. It takes finding that time to just do it. Get back to meetings, and you'll hear what you need to and perhaps look for a sponsor you can relate to, one you know will nudge you to keep doing the work. Just going to meetings won't do it, we HAVE to do the step work, remain connected with HP, and just stop and listen to him.

It's quite clear for me, once I putting my program on the back burner, I'll be back out there in no time. The longer we have in sobriety, the closer we are to that next drink, I understand that now, but with my program, I can avoid that situation.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Be good to one another!

I'm just like you....

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I realize I am nothing special, just one of the pack. Wow, apart of something! Those thoughts of just one glass of.... won't hurt. But you are right. One is never enough. Its nice to be able to think things through. and then to share with others who have the same thoughts and desires. So just for today, I will take the advice and give gratitude to my HP for getting me this far. I never would have thought it was possible. Have a great day all! and thank you for your kindness.
Aloha.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Heynup

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

We are all in the same boat here and go through all the same feelings.

Like AA, this community can and will help each and everyone of us. All you need is the desire to do it for you. Just for today then one day at a time. If you want to do it, you will get every ounce of help and support from us and from AA.

I've been sober for two months now and I love every day of my life. My business is going well, my relationship is improving tremendously and I find time for others. How? Simple because I'm doing it for me.

Stick with it. You deserve it.

Rich
Old 10-21-2004, 09:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
garden variety alcoholic

Hey Heynup,

I have to say, that every time that I hear your story, the next thing that I see is a hand being raised, another newcomer to the program.

And I say that from personal experience. When my program took a back seat to life, It didn't take long for me to slip right back in to old behavior.

Because when I forget that my life is unmanagble, it becoumes unmanagable. And when I think that I can manage my own life, then I start to think that I can manage my drinking again.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Heynup

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

We are all in the same boat here and go through all the same feelings.

Like AA, this community can and will help each and everyone of us. All you need is the desire to do it for you. Just for today then one day at a time. If you want to do it, you will get every ounce of help and support from us and from AA.

I've been sober for two months now and I love every day of my life. My business is going well, my relationship is improving tremendously and I find time for others. How? Simple because I'm doing it for me.

Stick with it. You deserve it.

Rich