Notices

I had a slip...

Old 07-03-2017, 04:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I had a slip...

Hi everyone,
Last Wednesday my aunt called over with a bottle of vodka to celebrate an occasion. Her and my mum had one each and offered me one. Long story short, 5 vodkas and two wines later . I literally drank the house dry. The morning after. Que hangover, vile taste in mouth , diahorrea, vomiting, headache. Jesus ,talk about no control! The next day I got my **** together . Got through the day and started to get my plan back together. Good sober weekend . It was a reminder that I don't want to go back down this road. If I had only said NO. All I can do is learn from this and move on. Anybody else have this experience?
Old 07-03-2017, 04:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Don't beat urself up, ur back on track that's the main thing. And hell I wish I had said no long ago!!! Does ur mum and aunt know u have been sober?? well done for getting back!!
Old 07-03-2017, 04:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad you came back Charli. I think a lot of us have returned to drinking after quitting, and yeah..the results are not pretty. I think the most important thing you can learn is what was lacking in your sobriety plan so you don't do it again. Do you follow a plan/program of any kind? What will you do differently if someone shows up at your house with a bottle again?
Old 07-03-2017, 04:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My aunt doesn't, my mum is still actively drinking , beer now not vodka. I think she knows I'm trying but we're not a talking kind of family. It's a bit of a taboo how bad we both were.
Old 07-03-2017, 05:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Jeez, if that happened again I suppose the only thing I can do is try to stay strong and decline, remove myself from the situation. Think of the next day hangover hell.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Originally Posted by Charli23 View Post
Jeez, if that happened again I suppose the only thing I can do is try to stay strong and decline, remove myself from the situation. Think of the next day hangover hell.
You recognized it.... Good you can "learn" and move on!

Great you are already thinking ahead and making a plan !
Old 07-03-2017, 06:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's too bad that you drank. Now- what to do next to stay sober? Have you accepted- truly- that you need to quit drinking, full stop? If so, then make a plan. My program is AA and there are other options- there is a ton of good info on SR.

I believe that there are only so many chances any of us get to quit drinking. I know I don't have another relapse and recovery in me- I was too sick and too "done" to risk the mere possibility that I could have another chance. You've got a chance right now. I hope you take it.

Hope to see you make that choice to join those of us in recovery and see you here!
Old 07-03-2017, 07:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Yup, it is all described in the big book. The thoughts that should deter us, if they occur at all, are easily pushed aside with the insane idea that this time will be ok. They do not flood into the mind with sufficient force to prevent us picking up. We are without defense against the first drink. The whole thing of AA is about finding an effective defense.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Charli23 View Post
Hi everyone,
Last Wednesday my aunt called over with a bottle of vodka to celebrate an occasion. Her and my mum had one each and offered me one. Long story short, 5 vodkas and two wines later . I literally drank the house dry. The morning after. Que hangover, vile taste in mouth , diahorrea, vomiting, headache. Jesus ,talk about no control! The next day I got my **** together . Got through the day and started to get my plan back together. Good sober weekend . It was a reminder that I don't want to go back down this road. If I had only said NO. All I can do is learn from this and move on. Anybody else have this experience?
Hi Charlie,

Unfortunately I've had this experience all too often - the ill advised decision to throw caution to the wind and fool myself into thinking that I deserved a drink as it was an occasion (or any other excuse!!), only to wake up with the crippling regrets of as a consequence.

All we can do is pick ourselves up, analyse the thoughts that lead us to relapse and try to devise a plan for mitigating these triggers and silencing the AV in future.

Hold on to how awful it made you feel, and remember that the next time you are tempted!

Feel better soon and don't be too hard on yourself.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I started drinking after 15 years of sobriety. I got complacent. I thought after all that time I'd learned and could drink responsibly. That was an utter lie from the depths of my addiction. Now through painful experience I know I can never drink again or it would lead to my death, and nearly did. Thanks to a sobriety plan and with the help of the wonderful people of SR I have eighteen months of sobriety. I never want to go back. Sobriety rocks.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. X
Old 07-07-2017, 04:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Time to tell your family you've quit drinking. No more "leaving the door open" to indulge. And with your brother in his condition, no one should be surprised at your decision. So announce your sobriety to all and commit to it. For good.