A positive attitude.

Old 10-20-2004, 02:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A positive attitude.

There was a time that I began weeding out those toxic "friends" and acquaintances - becoming more choosy as to who was going to be a part of my life and how much.
This was all good and I'm happier now, calmer, etc.
I've also started paying attention to those around me and trying to do a good deed. How many times have I walked beside someone that couldn't get the pop machine to take thier dollar when I had change in my pocket? How many times have I walked right by someone that could have used a helping hand in loading up thier wheelchair or stroller into thier vehicle? How many times have I simply walked by someone that could have used a cheerful word? You get the idea. I've been really noticing those around me - and helping out when I can.
I wonder sometimes how much of a difference would it have made to me (especially on a bad day) to have someone reach out to me with such a small offering of kindness.
I helped an older gentleman the other day, he let me but wasn't exactly "happy" about it at first - you know that word "Pride". Well, I kept a positive attitude and did what I set out to do and when I left, he was smiling and shaking his head. I told my Dad about this and I told him that I also wondered if this was how I came across to those that want to help me and he said, "Yes, you do. It's called Pride" - Well, I admit it, it's true.
So I'm going to focus on swallowing that pride - and above all else - keeping a positive attitude. And hopefully the day will come where I don't have to "keep a positive attitude" - but that it will just "BE a positive attitude". Yep, I"ve always been one of those "The glass is half empty" kind of people. From now on....I'm thinking "My glass is half full".
Anyone want to join me?
Old 10-20-2004, 04:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm In

StandingStrong you can count me in. I have been trying to do the same thing for a while. When I see someone I think needs help I ask if they need help. Most of the time, they are very appreciative. Just doing something nice for someone makes me feel better. We have a Rita's nearby and one day I was waiting in line for a Misto and there were three boys asking someone they knew if they had $1.10 for a small italian ice. No go. When I got my change I gave each of them $1.10. The thank you's and smiles were priceless as the temp was about 90. I try to think about the future and maybe me being nice to them will make a small difference in their lives. It's not much but if everyone did "not much" it would be a lot.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Survivor

Count me in too!!!!

I want to be more happy too! I want to stop overreacting to bad situation and count my blessing. I want to stop worrying about things I cannot change and focus on the inside of me and clean it up.

We can do it!!!

I feel so pumped up now...thanx Standing Strong.

Love,

Def
Old 10-20-2004, 05:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dee at Mt Bully

Thanks Standing strong--with all this stuff going on I almost forgot that I'm a glass
half full kind of a person. Its easy to forget how good it feels to do nice little things
when we are caught up in the daily struggle with an Alcoholic partner.
Dee at Mt. Bully
Old 10-20-2004, 07:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

Thank you Dear Heart for the reminder.

Grace and Blessings, Kathy
Old 10-21-2004, 07:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

I'll jump on this ride. If we all worked as a team, things would be so much better. Like here. We may all have differences, but we all come together and learn how to help, and accept help. We don't judge or put each other down because we do things differently. We don't try to get anyone to do things how we do them. We just offer our own experience, and if it helps, great. If it doesn't, that's ok too.

Giving has nothing to do with the receiver. The reward is that we have something to offer. We have a value. Knowing that is a great gift. Hugs, Magic
Old 10-21-2004, 07:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
believer

This is a great thread.

I have noticed that the less wrapped up I am in my own problems and the more I take time out to pay attention to others and their struggles, the better I feel. So many people have reached out to me in my time of need that it has encouraged me to return the favor and reach out to others. It's one of the best lessons I have learned by coming to this site.

Thanks StandingStrong!
Old 10-21-2004, 08:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks StandingStrong...this is a great thread! I know that since I started recovering and not focusing on my AH and our tribulations...I have seen so much beauty in things. I've always noticed, but now I really seem to 'see' things. My AH made a comment the other day about what is happening to the world and how despairing it is to think of what happened to mankind... for some reason, I looked at him like he was crazy, and I said I completetly disagree! and he said "how could you say that when you look at that state of the world?"...and I said - I see the beauty in people every day - I see it when I'm depressed and near tears and walk into 7-11 and someone holds the door open with a big smile, when a stranger tells me I have a pretty smile, when I see teenage boys dressed like skaters help me put a load of flowers in my car... I see it on this board with each and every post I read... I see it everywhere and I am so grateful for that sight! It's a wonderful world!
Old 10-21-2004, 08:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
{tap}{tap}...Is this thing on?

StandingStrong,

Huge thank you out to you for reminding me to pick my head up and look around. Today, I am going to be the most courteous driver and anyone that "needs" to get in front of me is going to have their way. Also I'm going to send some money to the local food kitchen this week so they have some funds to get Thanksgiving eats for other folks.

I feel better already! HURRAH for the SR Team!

Be courageous all -
Petunia
Old 10-21-2004, 08:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Smile

I am soooooo... grateful for all the posts on this fantastic thread.

It's all so true. By keeping a positive frame of mind, what may in the past have appeared as "major problems" are now simply things that need attended to in the course of the day. It's so not rocket science.

Regaining self esteem and self confidence undoubtedly helps us all to share our sense of well being and help others.

Bring it On!!

Rich
Old 10-21-2004, 12:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm right behind you!

I thinned out the toxic friendships as well -it was this year for me.

My latest goal is expanding my social circle, which is a real challenge.

Tx,

Red
Old 10-21-2004, 12:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

red - i have that same goal someday....i have friends, but i am meeting more acquaintances thru meetings etc. that i would like to expand on.

this is a great thread - i too have tried to focus on the little things that we often bury due to mis-focus on other things we have no control over. driving home every night i see the spectacular colors that God has painted on the trees and just marvel at the beauty all around.

thanks standing for helping us all to think, think, and do!

cwohio
Old 10-21-2004, 12:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Gracey

Wow, this is a great thread......it feels so good to turn things positive, no matter what the situation is.......I am ready.....I have also let go of alot of people in my life.......and I am ready to make new healthier relationships and to expand my circle of friends.......and I found that Alanon was a great place to start........

I feel like I have a lot of new friends on this site.......that is such a good feeling knowing that i can come here......I am leaving tomorrow to go see my brother for the first time in six months........I cant wait.........and I am going to sit there all day and just cherish every moment that I have with him this weekend.......since I will be at a nursing home......maybe I can also do something for some of the other patients there.....just to cheer them up........my brother will be 41 tomorrow........

Old 10-21-2004, 02:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wow! I am shocked at the response to this! Especially since I re-read what I posted and felt I hadn't done a very good job of explaining my thoughts!

I am soooo happy though to see each of you ready to make a difference!

A friend of mine is leaving the state for a week - and it's thier first time flying. They are petrified. I told them what to expect, etc. and I supported, I encouraged, etc etc etc. (When really, I wanted to selfishly say "don't go" - LOL)
Because I work in retail, I also do a ton of customer service through out the day (NO< I AM NOT ONE OF THOSE RUDE PEOPLE THAT WORK IN RETAIL - Just wanted to clarify that)
But you know what else - I had a headache all day long!!!! And my attitude was good all day!
Old 10-23-2004, 12:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Bumping on up to remind you all to "Pick your battles" - "Do a kind thing for someone and expect nothing in return" - and "To improve your life even in the smallest of ways".

Your glass is half full!!!!!!! (Not half empty)