Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

Science Says: Gratitude is Good For Us--And Appreciation is Even Better

Old 07-02-2017, 06:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I found a link to this article on my lung cancer support site: A Scientific Reason to Stop and Smell the Roses. This is a quote: "Indeed, in his book Thanks!, Robert Emmons, perhaps the leading scientific expert on gratitude, writes that gratitude isn’t just about acknowledging the goodness in one’s life but also 'recognizing that the source(s) of this goodness lie at least partially outside the self.'" But what the researchers found was that APPRECIATION of the good things in life was an even greater predictor of overall happiness than gratitude or one's overall personality type.

A reason to cultivate appreciation.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i really appreciate this post!!!
Old 07-02-2017, 07:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

You know, I honestly think my ability to appreciate things in my life has been one of the things that has gotten me through some of the worst things I've experienced. There are positive things all around us, even in the worst of times. It's all a matter of where we choose to focus. Which doesn't mean that we don't observe and try to do something about injustice or personal problems in our lives, but that we don't "lose" the good parts in focusing on the bad.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

I also tead an article a few months back that claimed that even just looking for things to be grateful for, and not necessarily even finding them was what helped.

I try to remember that it's my focus that can make all the difference in how I'm feeling, and when I can it makes so much difference.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life is good

I appreciate this post and am grateful for it, too!

Grateful word origin:

pleasing, thankful

(from Latin gratus ) + -ful
Old 08-05-2019, 08:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for posting this! It is just what I needed to read this morning.

Yesterday I was spraying WD-40 onto an old, rusty pair of wire cutters that had sat for years, untouched, uncared for, in a pile of junk that was my STBXAH's toolbox but that is now my toolbox. I noticed how they seemed to spring back to life a bit with just a little bit of noticing and care. And I appreciated the craftsmanship and energy that went into designing and making these wire cutters. And I appreciated their potential usefulness.

I am starting to notice and value and appreciate more small things like this, but not just physical things, also small personal habits and relationship interactions. And I find that this makes me feel more grounded, more real, and that my connection with each of my kids feels more significant, distinct, more loving, more joyful, and more real. And my understanding of myself feels this way, little by little, too.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I so miss Lexiecat....
Old 08-06-2019, 02:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mylifeismine View Post
I so miss Lexiecat....
I miss her too, mylife. She had been around the block more than once, and I thought she was a living example of "saying what you mean and meaning what you say, but not saying it mean."

Lexie was someone whose posts I ALWAYS read; there was always something worthwhile there.
Old 08-06-2019, 04:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If you don't mind sharing with me,
what happened to Lexiecat?
Old 08-06-2019, 07:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

She had some health issues, namely lung cancer, but as far as I know, she came through the treatment w/flying colors. I know she took an extended break at one point before this and I suspect she may just be living her life and not finding a need or desire to spend time here.

That's all I can contribute, unfortunately. Others may know more.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing news about lexiecat and
hope she is living a healthy, happy life. Maybe
she will return one day and let us know how
she is doing today.