Notices

I'm changing

Old 07-01-2017, 11:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm changing

This will be a rather self absorbed post because its about me, but oh well. I'm changing, my mind thinks and works differently than it did 2 years ago. For most of my life my thoughts were focused on financial success, and then the rewards of that success. The rewards were 99% revolved around leisure activities and drinking. Boating, fishing, grilling, vacations, you name it. And the centerpiece to most of it was tying one on and story telling.

Lately I have taken interest in entirely different things. I don't really value financial success much at all because in the end, its a rather shallow measure of happiness. I find myself searching for truth in everything. Particularly our existence, why are we here, how long have we been here, who put us here, what is the moon and the sun?? (I know, sounds kinda crazy). Are there other dimensions we are not aware of, can we access higher brain function and consciousness? I find myself wanting to get on the golf course again, shoot my guns, buy a motorcycle and ride in the wind. I am going to buy a telescope and study the sky. I want to learn the real estate industry like a true professional, I am taking my fitness pretty seriously. In fact, much of my interests are reverting back to things I was interested in as a teenager. So far I'm enjoying it, and not constantly thinking about drinking is very liberating. I guess it has freed up some space in brain to contemplate different things about life. So anyway, I am changing and not the same person anymore. Have any of you experienced this?
Old 07-01-2017, 11:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes. Completely relate. Just started a new gym today - excited about it - data driven, tracks heart rate and calories burned.

Im finding a renewed interest in uncovering purpose as well, and to a certain extent I am allowing myself to open my mind to possibilities regarding a spiritual/alternate dimension(s).

Im married to a drinker (daily, beer and vodka) and can observe his anger, frustration and lack of energy. It is mind blowing from the outside.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes! I'm saving for a telescope!! Mainly because one of my kids is super interested in planets and stars etc but also because I'm really interested in it too.

The universe feels like a really fascinating place now and I just want to learn so much about everything. Climbed up mount vesuvius last week on a trip to Italy and now I keep reading stuff about volcanos. It feels like alcohol kept me in the dark and now I'm free I want to read and learn about everything.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Jeff,
I have a similar way of thinking. I'm just tired of chasing the dollar. At 53 i think a bunch about doing what makes me happy. With out the alcohol in my life I am free to experience things and enjoy them for simply what they are. Almost everything i did in the old days was because it made it easy to drink. I think it has a lot to do with just being satisfied with your life and who you are. Maybe we are just proud of ourselves now my friend. Have a great weekend. I wanted to go fishing but its just way to hot.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

I Love it Thomas! Happy days
Old 07-01-2017, 12:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It start's with a telescope, then soon you mount a camera to it!
Old 07-01-2017, 12:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Remember the scene in Dickens Christmas Carol after a night filled with apparitions, Scrooge opens his window and yells to the boy; Hey, what day is it??

Why, Christmas day sir!

Oh good, I didn't miss it - Scrooge replies.

I feel like Ebenezer that morning - reborn to life. What mattered are just shadows. What matters now is for each one to decide, but yes it's different. Refocused, fired.

I have have a constellation app on an ipad which I really have enjoyed this last year - exploring all sort of things. Truly remarkable

Good stuff T11
Old 07-01-2017, 01:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great post, Thomas!! I'm changing for the better too.. i for once in a long time like you see in the mirror everyday.. giving back, helping the new person being present in my family's life.. soberity has given me a freedom I never thought I would obtain.. really a beautiful thing.. thanks again for the share, enjoy your 4th weekend!!!

D
Old 07-01-2017, 01:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Go Thomas..!!!
Being able to change...without the demon of booze on our backs is indeed liberating.
I'm getting fit ( to lose all the alcohol pounds )...eating well..and am actually going to get my waist length dark hair all chopped off to a short , bright red, funky new pixie cut !! New me. New all of us.
Stay strong.
Sending love.
We got this !!! X H.
Old 07-01-2017, 01:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well, I don't think I have profoundly changed since I quit.
I think I am better company, particularly after 7 at night, when I used to be completely toasted and not want to go anywhere or do anything because it cut into drinking time.
Now, on nice nights, we go for a walk in the evening, or get ice cream, or take in a movie.
I don't get as fussed about things as I used to, but I think that's more a function of age than sobriety.
I'm just happy to be off the crazy train.
Old 07-01-2017, 03:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
This will be a rather self absorbed post because its about me, but oh well. I'm changing, my mind thinks and works differently than it did 2 years ago. For most of my life my thoughts were focused on financial success, and then the rewards of that success. The rewards were 99% revolved around leisure activities and drinking. Boating, fishing, grilling, vacations, you name it. And the centerpiece to most of it was tying one on and story telling.

Lately I have taken interest in entirely different things. I don't really value financial success much at all because in the end, its a rather shallow measure of happiness. I find myself searching for truth in everything. Particularly our existence, why are we here, how long have we been here, who put us here, what is the moon and the sun?? (I know, sounds kinda crazy). Are there other dimensions we are not aware of, can we access higher brain function and consciousness? I find myself wanting to get on the golf course again, shoot my guns, buy a motorcycle and ride in the wind. I am going to buy a telescope and study the sky. I want to learn the real estate industry like a true professional, I am taking my fitness pretty seriously. In fact, much of my interests are reverting back to things I was interested in as a teenager. So far I'm enjoying it, and not constantly thinking about drinking is very liberating. I guess it has freed up some space in brain to contemplate different things about life. So anyway, I am changing and not the same person anymore. Have any of you experienced this?
Brilliant post, Jeff.

Funny - I want a really nice telescope, too. I love the night skies!!!!!!
Old 07-01-2017, 03:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Every second. Sobriety brings the gift (or curse) of growing cognitive 'wiring' in the brain. For me- the waste and damage caused by my drinking is being replaced by the simple ethos I will try today, to be a little bit more of a good person than the previous.
Old 07-01-2017, 04:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Fantastic post Jeff. My interests and pursuits may be in a different direction, but my experience is the same. Best wishes for all the possibilities that lie ahead for you.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think I'm a meld - some parts like how I used to be, but always those 20-30 years tempered by adversity and addiction are in the mix somewhere too.

I wouldn't want to forget those lessons

Its probably not the mix I would have chosen if I had that opportunity but I reckon it might just be the mix I need.

I'm at peace now

D
Old 07-01-2017, 05:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm on day 69 and in a bit of a funk. I SO want to be where you are!!! It sounds so refreshing and exhilarating!!! Like it was when I was a kid. How do I get there??
Old 07-01-2017, 05:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know it's an infuriating answer...but I reckon it's the journey that changes us, not the destination.

It's one of those faith things - if you stay sober, and if you build a sober life you love, I think peace is pretty much assured.

Keep the faith until that happens

D
Old 07-01-2017, 05:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I know it's an infuriating answer...but I reckon it's the journey that changes us, not the destination.

It's one of those faith things - if you stay sober, and if you build a sober life you love, I think peace is pretty much assured.

Keep the faith until that happens

D
That's what I need to do Dee. Build a sober life I love. I will keep that thought. Thank you. ❤❤
Old 07-02-2017, 01:26 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I think that childlike nature and sense of wonder at the Universe is within each of us but it can be beaten down by life, and by booze. Yeah, I have returned to many interests I had before I started drinking. Booze became my life and my only real hobby, so when I quit drinking the real me began to assert itself again.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:44 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My quest for truth in things has taught me that we are, and have been lied to for many many years. The real truth is out there, but we must find it on our own. I personally believe that the deception laid upon us is part of a control grid/mechanism to keep the populace distracted and dumbed down. Dare I say alcohol is part of that control grid. After all, if they can keep a population drunk and drugged, how easy is that to control? Very easy. In sobriety I feel I am breaking away from that control grid and feeling what it is like to truly be free. And with that freedom comes my quest for knowledge. I know it sounds kind of deep and hippy like, but I believe it to be true.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:54 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi there!

I don't post much anymore, but I read a fair amount. I felt like my posting was more me trying to show how recovered I am, the fount of 'knowledge' I've become. Yuck. Soap boxing. And who needs that? Soooo I decided to go quiet because in reality I know nothing and I'm just sober for today.....we all are really. I don't know what anyone else should or shouldn't do.

That being said, really of all the people I have 'known' over the few years I've been reading here, you have evolved the most. Truly, your posts now don't even resemble your earlier posts. Amazing to witness.

You're awesome and I just wanted you to know that! And congrats on breaking away from The Matrix.....