Notices

Keep being locked out

Old 06-30-2017, 09:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Keep being locked out

Hi Dee et al, I keep being locked out. I'll try to post or comment and it tells me that I have to be logged in to view or comment. It redirects me to the login page but before I can try to log in and it takes me back to forums... so I try to post, it tells me that only people logged in can etc etc. this is only the second time in three days that I've been able to log in. I'm using an iPhone. I don't know if anyone else is having this problem but I thought I'd mention it while I can
Old 06-30-2017, 09:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This has been happening to me as well.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Beedebea

According to the techs, there's a designed log out now when a poster is inactive for 15 mins.

Originally Posted by arochaIB

Now back to the original reported issue of getting automatically logged out.

This is by design.

Example use case:
- You Log IN
- You start writing a post
- You walk away from your desk and do not hit submit
- You come back later (after 15 minutes).
- You finish your post.
- You hit submit.
- You get logged off.
- You log back in.
- All is lost.

This is by design. Any inactive state of over 15 minutes will result in an automatic log off.

If you are reading a thread that takes you over 15 minutes, you'll get logged off.

If it takes you longer than 15 minutes to write a post, you'll get logged off.

If you take a nap at your desk longer than 15 minutes, wake up, continue on SR. You'll be logged off.

If you go make a pot of coffee and it takes you longer than 15 minutes, you'll get logged off.

If you answer your phone and talk to a significant other about dinner tonight and it takes longer than 15 minutes, you'll get logged off.

Regardless of the situation, if you are posting a long response, it is a good habit to always SELECT ALL YOUR TEXT, COPY, THEN HIT SUBMIT. I'm doing it now because I think I took longer than 15 minutes writing this.

SELECT ALL, COPY, SUBMIT.
I'm not sure what the rationale is - it might be an anti spamming move, but whatever the reasons, it looks like it's here to stay.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience to you and everyone else.

If you think you might be away for more than 15 mins before you finish your post its a good idea to save it.

D
Old 06-30-2017, 11:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for checking Dee - it happens multiple times a minute, it's happened twice since I read your message (thank you!), since 8:14, two minutes ago, this time it worked, perhaps it's my phone.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Happens to me too but not as badly as you describe. It's a pain.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had the same problem and I initially thought I'd been kicked off the site, which was an issue because I had been sober for only three or four days and I was very fragile. I thought I'd been kicked off for oversharing or being too chatty, which I sometimes am.

I actually sent Dee an angry PM about it when I logged on using a different IP address, and he responded that I wasn't kicked off. I never really solved the problem except I started to use a hotspot on my phone for this forum, which worked great. Eventually the problem with my wireless corrected itself and I can log on normally.

I am grateful I was able to find a way to log on here because I can say, without hesitation, that SR saved my life. I literally would be dead or close to death now if it wasn't for SR and the people here.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Same here and I haven't been typing any posts. Just simply trying to read what others have written.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry I'm not much help guys - I'm using an old PC and I've never been logged out yet.

The mobile version of the site is the version the owners recommend for use with phones.

Maybe some other IPhone users will chime in with what they do to maximise their SR experience ?

D
Old 07-01-2017, 02:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I select my phone's option "Request Desktop Site," then log in.

Since I've been doing that, I haven't had a problem.