Notices

Hello

Old 06-30-2017, 02:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

I've been following and reading on this site for sometime. I finally signed up. I'm an alcoholic. I have been since about 20. I'm 38 now. My longest periods of sobriety have been while I was pregnant, then I would pick back up and think I could drink normally. I recently had over a hundred day and relapsed. Then made it two weeks and drank heavily the night before and last now. I'm not an everyday drinker but a binge drinker about every other day or so. I'm scared. I want sobriety but when I get a lot of days in I start feeling board, antsy, depressed, not like myself. I'm definitely a more productive person when I'm not drinking. I did AA years ago and it wasn't for me, although I might give it a try again. I need to meet other alcoholics for support. I also have terrible anxiety that keeps me in the house most of the time. I want to be a better person, a good mom and live a happy life. This disease is definitely progressive, I've seen how bad it has gotten for me. If I continue this way I'll certainly die. I'm terrified.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, GreenThumbRN.
Love your username.
Welcome to SR.
This is a good source of support.
You might think about joining the July class on this site. It's a thread for the newly sober and those wanting to stop.
Peace.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, GreenThumbRn!!
I'll echo what Maudcat said about joining the July Class – it's a great way to share your experience with others who are at the same stage of sobriety and get support! I joined the January class and it has been crucial in helping me stay accountable and sober. This whole site has been amazing
I wish you the best. Keep reading and posting!
Old 06-30-2017, 02:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's very common among nurses, and like you said it's progressive, so though it doesn't sound like you are at the point of drinking on work nights and coming in with a hangover, it can make doing what you do (what we do, if I graduate) very very difficult.. if you can't focus, mistakes can cost you big time.

Not to be a Debbie Downer. This is a good place to vent and find support.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you posted GreenThumbRN and that you recognize alcoholism worsens unless and until we stop. Following is a link with lots of suggestions and program ideas for recovery:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 06-30-2017, 03:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the warm welcome. What is the July class? I'm not currently working as an RN at the moment. I decided last year to take time off to be home with my kids while I work on my NP and get myself healthy and together. That's why this is so important for me to get this right and stay sober finally. I have a very supportive husband to help me but he doesn't drink at all so it's hard for him to understand.
Old 06-30-2017, 03:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi there! Welcome to the forum. If you check out the women's section there's a thread going for mothers in sobriety, which has been a great deal of support for me.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome GreenThumbRN.

I was terrified when I came here too, but this is a really good bunch of people - SR helped me turn my life around.

We have a support thread every month for people quitting that month. The 'Class of July' thread will be up in a few hours.

The Class of June is open right now and always welcome to new members:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-2-a-14.html

D
Old 06-30-2017, 05:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 06-30-2017, 06:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to meet you, GreenThumb. I'm so glad you've made the decision to reclaim your life - this is the best place for encouragement.

I knew in my 20's I didn't drink like other people. Once it was in my system, dangerous & unpredictable things happened. Yet I continued trying to control the amounts I drank so I wouldn't have to give it up. By the time I finally stopped I was completely dependent on it - drinking every day with a ruined life. That won't be you.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome greenthumbrn,
SR and thecsupport I found here changed my life. I know it will do the same for you. Post often
Old 06-30-2017, 06:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi! I knew too at a very early age that I didn't have an off switch. I still thought I could fix it one day but no-go. Now (I'm 38 too) I'm getting sober and don't want to waste one more second or year binge drinking. Stick around, it's good stuff!
Old 06-30-2017, 09:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you so much everyone. I will post as often as I can and come here when I have the urge and desire which I'm sure will be by tomorrow evening. Does this website have an app?
Old 06-30-2017, 09:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm afraid we don't have an app GreenThumbRN.

D
Old 06-30-2017, 10:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Green Thumb
I was a RN but my license is revoked because I did not follow the rules of my probation.. I am also an alcoholic and an addict. Good luck with your NP classes.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:24 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anglenot View Post
Hi Green Thumb
I was a RN but my license is revoked because I did not follow the rules of my probation.. I am also an alcoholic and an addict. Good luck with your NP classes.
So sorry to hear about your license. Will you be able to work at getting it back in the future? Our state has a program that works with nurses. But aside from that, it's nice to meet you. Let's stay in touch. It's always nice to have someone to relate to.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

GreenThumb - your drinking habits are exactly the same as mine. I don't drink everyday but boredom kicks in on random evenings and I unfortunately don't have an off switch. I'm back again today on Day 1 and know I have to stop drinking as it is truly ruining my life.
Good luck with your sobriety X