Notices

Over 36 days sober and starting a new job next week

Old 06-30-2017, 09:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Over 36 days sober and starting a new job next week

Having 36 days was not hard for me to hit when I could get over 9 months without a drink. For some reason in 2017 I really wanted to drink on the weekend which never ended well after a month trying.

A few things, I decided to do is change jobs. I find a job that pays more and is full time instead of an independent contractor. The drive is 15 minutes instead of 60 minutes. I am nervous about the change but I feel like I wanted to do this for sometime but always hold myself back because I don't like changing things. I start my new job on the 3rd and have been eating a lot of sweets and haven't job for the last few days which is killing my diet.

Would like to have some advise if you have anything to say? Plus I really want to move out of my parents place more so then ever now that I'm 34 years old and will be turning 35 soon. Don't want to be those people who still live with parents at that age. Thats killing me too.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
2/2016

The old saying no one likes change but babies (diapers) is true. We all dislike change, but wow this is great! Shorter commute, full-time, and benefits!!! Wow You will do so well, I just know it. Congrats on your sober time. The longer I go (just over a year) the stronger I am and it is so good. Good luck
Old 06-30-2017, 09:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by WhyNotNowMe View Post
Plus I really want to move out of my parents place more so then ever now that I'm 34 years old and will be turning 35 soon.
Don't know what your financial situation is, but I'd advise you to work, save up your money, work on your recovery, ensure your work situation and sobriety is stable, then move.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Don't know what your financial situation is, but I'd advise you to work, save up your money, work on your recovery, ensure your work situation and sobriety is stable, then move.
^^^ Great advice. ^^^ Too much change all at once I've found is not good for my sobriety.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have enough money to rent a place for 2 years if I want.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

How long would you stay a table sobriety stage?
Old 06-30-2017, 01:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Change is hard, but nothing changes if nothing changes, right? But I agree it would probably be good to take it slow on the move. You don't want to add more stress and instability right now if you don't need to. Take care of yourself.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Would like to have some advise if you have anything to say?
for every problem, there is a solution.
and a drink aint it.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

There's nothing wrong with living with your parents unless maybe they really don't want you there. That's what families are for.
Old 06-30-2017, 03:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I interviewed for a new job, then started a new job in the early days of sobriety. I interviewed in the first week of sobriety, so that gives you an idea of how early on it was. Starting a new job is certainly stressful and my personal experience was of the importance of finding ways to unwind/de-stress without drinking. Walking, listening to music, taking a long bath, drinking cups of tea....whatever helps deal with the anxiety/stress that comes with starting a new job...as long as you don't pick up the bottle. All the best with the new job (sounds great BTW) and congrats on your sober time!
Old 06-30-2017, 04:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi WhyNotNowMe

Stability is a subjective value - it'll be different for everyone.

I'd work on the job for now - if you've not had one for a while there'll there's a lot of challenges there (but good ones I hope).

Once you feel settled in that part of your life, I'd think then would be a good idea to turn to other parts, either living quarters or diet or something else you think needs changing?

D