Notices

Day3

Old 06-30-2017, 09:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wink Day3

I'd like to introduce myself to everyone. I'm Peacefull and this is my third day sober from alcohol. I'm a mom of a beautiful three year old and loving wife to an amazing man. I have been drinking socially since I turned 21. I stopped drinking when I got pregnant with my son but started binge drinking as soon as I stopped breastfeeding when he turned six months old. It's gotten progressively worse and more frequent. The alcohol has done nothing but increase my depression and feelings of worthlessness. I would say, I'm a high functioning alcoholic but an alcoholic just the same. I hold down a good job, I never drink and drive or drink at work. I always saved my drinking for when my son went to bed. It has been taking its toll on my health, the health of my marriage and my relationship with my friends and family. It is making me mean and anxious and withdrawn. I've been in denial for a couple years now. It finally hit me like a slap in the face and I genuinely sat down and thought deeply on what I was doing and how truly unhappy I was with my current state of existence. It's only day three an I'm exhausted but I really want this for myself and my family. I'm exhausted, I've had night sweats the past couple nights but I'm up, I'm dressed, I'm working and I'm hopeful.....
Thank for reading
Peacefull
Old 06-30-2017, 09:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome!! Sounds like you know what is going on. I just kept reading and posting. I check in every morning at the 24 hour connection thread to remind me who I am every day. I wish you well on your journey!
Old 06-30-2017, 09:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello Peaceful,
I can relate to your story. I too am a high functioning binge drinker. I would not drink all week long but the weekends would come and I would get drunk every single time. I'm a wife and mother also and can relate to drinking at night after the chores are done and my kids were safe in their beds. I finally got feed up, like you. I was tired of feeling disappointed and disgusted with myself. I made myself a million promises about setting a limit and not drinking more that 3 drinks which never worked. Once I had that first drink, my ability to stay with in my limit is out the window. I don't want to be that person. I'm also " high functioning ". I never drink and drive, I do not miss work because of alcohol ( don't drink on weekdays) I have a job in health care and so does my husband our kids are super busy and involved in club sports. From the outside no one really knows how much I struggle in my head. I finally realized I just can't drink "a few". I'm on day 26 sober and it feels fantastic. The more days you have not drinking the stronger you will feel. You already have 3 days.... just keep going!!!! When you get those urges, breathe, do something else, they will pass! You got this.... congratulations on your path to health and happiness. I'm cheering for you 🎉
Old 06-30-2017, 12:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi peacefull...welcome to SR. Congratulations on 3 days 💜 Wishing you well on your recovery journey x
Old 06-30-2017, 12:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the encouraging words. Lord knows I need them at this stage. I'm trying to keep busy and sleep as much as possible right now. I'll be posting on the regular and reading and responding to other posts. It takes a village to get over our demons and I feel better when I'm rooting for others as well. Thank you all again and congratulations on your sobriety as well.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It keeps on getting better
Old 06-30-2017, 01:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting! You´re on the right path
Old 06-30-2017, 01:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

I can relate very much to your situation. I finally got sober when my daughter was three. I had always had a problem with drinking, and it got much worse after I had her. Getting and staying sober was hard, but she's almost 6 now and has a sober mom. That's a big deal.

I can tell you two things from my experience:

1) Getting sober doesn't solve everything, so don't give up when you realize there's more work to do. Getting sober frees you up to do that work.

2) It's absolutely worth it.

Take care of yourself, and talk to the people here. There is so much support and understanding here.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi there and welcome! I'm back on day 3 too. I just had a 45 day sober stint that I lost due to drinking on Tuesday. It sucks but I'm right back at it! Just like you said- that first drink gets us. No more first drinks and no more day ones. hugs!
Old 06-30-2017, 04:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome PeAceFulL

You'll find a lot of support and good advice here.

I really believe 'functional' is a subjective term...at best its just a stage of alcoholism - it gets worse...

so I think you've made a great decision to stop drinking now

D