Notices

Back to "work"..

Old 06-29-2017, 07:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back to "work"..

Today starts my 'first day' back to work..kinda. I own the company and have 15-20 employees but, I'm going back in as a 'worker/foreman' and getting out from behind this desk. I've been VERY bored lately and we all know what that can lead to. Not that I've been thinking of drinking, I'm just bored and think it'll be some good exercise,'fun', more full filling than answering emails,phone calls,ect( I can do all these from my phone).. Plus I can evaluate my crew(s). I started this company by myself around 4yrs ago and it's grown to where it is now,how with me drinking,I'll never know. Guess I got lucky? Even packed a lunch and everything so, I don't have to leave the job site. Normally I'd take my guys to lunch and have a 'few'..Now I have a zero tolerance policy for drink/drugs. Only my two lead workers know I'm coming back so, I'm sure it'll freak a few guys out when I show up this morning.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This is me; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHAjDUX2MUI I hope I remember what I'm doing..been a couple years and I'll probably slow them down..at least they can't fire me!
Old 06-29-2017, 07:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good luck, Dont!
Old 06-29-2017, 07:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Maudcat View Post
Good luck, Dont!
Thanks! I'm actually a little nervous and I own/started the company as a one man operation.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm also carpooling with a new guy who lives down the road from me. He doesn't know that I'm the boss. Should be an interesting ride up!
Old 06-29-2017, 07:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Enjoy the day, Don'tRemember. Keep moving forward!
Old 06-29-2017, 03:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

best wishes

D
Old 06-29-2017, 03:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sounds like an episode of Undercover Boss!!! Undercover Boss - CBS.com
Old 06-29-2017, 09:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well.. I'm firing a guy on Monday. I'm so mad! I'm talking a long time customers house renovation that will do nothing but boost my companies portfolio and my "crew leader" was treating the workers like absolute crap! I rode in with a new guy who didn't know who I was and he was complaining about his 'boss' the entire way.. Said "crew leader" did not know I was coming.. I walk in and NOTHING is done to my companies standards! He was kissing my ass the entire day and said that he's unavailable to work tomorrow..This is a million+dollar home that, the owner,a friend of mine owns, and it looks horrible on me and my company. So, I'm going back tomorrow,with the new guy and re-doing a lot of stuff! I also heard from the new guy what he's being paid..made me sick! I don't operate that way! He doesn't know it yet but, I have him coming to my house to do some landscaping on Sun morning and will be receiving a $500 bonus. I made the "crew leader" do menial chores all day and he will be cut loose on Monday morning! I'm so frustrated! This house should be done in two weeks and he told the owner,my FRIEND, it would be 3 months? WTF? So, yep....I'm BACK!!
Old 06-30-2017, 05:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've just become sober again, but am a contractor and feel much better and positive as I wake in the morning. I just have a better outlook on things when I'm not drinking. I hire subs, so I don't have any full-time employees, but am now motivated to hire and delegate some of my work.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-30-2017, 05:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

DR, its awesome to read ya taking responsibility for your company again.

yes, it is frustrating.
however, i suggest ya dont forget how it got that way so ya dont allow it to happen again.

and im willing to bet that your business will grow.

ya know, it might be wise to go back and check out some past work while ya werent there.
Old 06-30-2017, 05:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi DR, boy can I relate to your story. I was a landscape contractor until 2015 when I got hurt. Sounds like you need to start shaping these guys up, and quick. Fire your crew leader and make sure everyone knows why he was canned (for not holding company standards and loose lips and poor ethics).

Anyway, not the reason I wanted to respond. My drinking cost me my business, and it hurts me to this day. I got hurt so bad I couldn't continue. I tell you this as a cautionary tale. You haven't lost your business...yet. I hope you kick butt and get back on track and stay sober. I wish I had that chance.....and I don't.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
DR, its awesome to read ya taking responsibility for your company again.

yes, it is frustrating.
however, i suggest ya dont forget how it got that way so ya dont allow it to happen again.

and im willing to bet that your business will grow.

ya know, it might be wise to go back and check out some past work while ya werent there.
Good thought about doing a client 'check up'..Thanks!
Old 06-30-2017, 07:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Hi DR, boy can I relate to your story. I was a landscape contractor until 2015 when I got hurt. Sounds like you need to start shaping these guys up, and quick. Fire your crew leader and make sure everyone knows why he was canned (for not holding company standards and loose lips and poor ethics).

Anyway, not the reason I wanted to respond. My drinking cost me my business, and it hurts me to this day. I got hurt so bad I couldn't continue. I tell you this as a cautionary tale. You haven't lost your business...yet. I hope you kick butt and get back on track and stay sober. I wish I had that chance.....and I don't.
Yeah.. I'm invested in several companies but, this one is my "baby" as I grew it from me and a weed eater/leaf blower into building custom home rooms.. I was LIVID at the crew "leader"..pshhh..what a leader he was! :eyeroll: I was up until 2am writing out a list of company standards/policies that I'm going to have ALL my guys sign. Just like my ZERO drink/drug policy...1 strike and you're out!
Old 06-30-2017, 07:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sobersolstice View Post
I've just become sober again, but am a contractor and feel much better and positive as I wake in the morning. I just have a better outlook on things when I'm not drinking. I hire subs, so I don't have any full-time employees, but am now motivated to hire and delegate some of my work.

Thanks for sharing.
I sub out most of my smaller jobs. I just deal with higher end clients nowadays..Not that I'm 'too good' for the small jobs, it just makes fiscal sense for me at this time.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Fire your crew leader and make sure everyone knows why he was canned (for not holding company standards and loose lips and poor ethics).
From the guys I spoke with, there won't be much explaining needed on his termination. Guess he told a few new guys that even he owned MY company!
Old 06-30-2017, 07:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It is really good that you went "back to work".
What a bummer to see your leaders treating your clients this way and also treating the crew poorly. There is no reason for any of that.

I know you can clean house and get things back to your vision.

Keep up the good work!
Old 06-30-2017, 11:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post
Yeah.. I'm invested in several companies but, this one is my "baby" as I grew it from me and a weed eater/leaf blower into building custom home rooms.. I was LIVID at the crew "leader"..pshhh..what a leader he was! :eyeroll: I was up until 2am writing out a list of company standards/policies that I'm going to have ALL my guys sign. Just like my ZERO drink/drug policy...1 strike and you're out!
Yep, I hear ya. Things that are so obvious to you and I, are not so obvious to some of these guys. I documented their violations and also gave everyone copies of what company expectations were. its kind of ridiculous, my guys were not skilled workers, they were primary laborers but I had to do it to cover my ass. I think you are doing the right thing.

Please don't overlook my over arching point, and that is don't let alcohol take away your livelihood like it did me. Its something I'll never live down.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

this throws me back to my 1st summer sober- framing townhouses. 6 man crew plus the boss/owner. i took pride in puttin in an honest days work- doing the work to the best of my ability. plus i understood that,even though it was only framing, there was a production schedule.
one thing that bothered me for years, and was really comin out sober, was how other employees worked. boss would have to take off for a bit or miss a day here and there and theyd slack right off.
one day, all jacked up, i had to head over to a townhouse we finished up a couple days before( it was nuts- right on lake huron and no crap- they were 8' apart and starting at $349k for 1400 sq ft- 11 of them in a row) and walked into the boss. i think he saw i was all jacked up and said,'whats up,tom?"
welp, rather calmly i let him know. i was ramblin on and on all the time hes just smilin, which THAT was gettin me a little worked up!
finally got done. boss,still smilin, says,"thats why i pay you a lot more than i pay them" and walked away.
HUH!!!
i thought he was full of crap, but the very next day at lunch, the boss had to take off and the guys were naggin about how much they were makin.
and all i could say was
HUH!!:
Old 06-30-2017, 01:54 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congratulations! I look forward to the day I can enjoy running my business again.

I picked a good business to be an alcoholic in, I guess you could say I took it to a professional level. Being a bar owner adds an interesting twist to sobering up to put it mildly :P