Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Canada Day/Independence Day - It's a North American Weekender 30/6-4/7 (ok ok 7/4)

Notices

Canada Day/Independence Day - It's a North American Weekender 30/6-4/7 (ok ok 7/4)

Old 06-29-2017, 03:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
saoutchik

On this week's thread we are going to try and celebrate these 2 national holidays by staying independant (see what I did there) of drugs and alcohol. Over the next few days many of you will be confronted with booze, fireworks and driving - not the safest combination one can think of so do post here if you want to get through this sober.

I thought perhaps that if you are from either Canada or the USA then you might say a few words about either where you live or some place that you really like. Equally, those of us not from North America could mention somewhere there that you would really like to visit or perhaps you already have.

For me I loved going to New York but thanks to the novelist James Lee Burke I have always harboured a desire to visit New Orleans with its amazing people,food, music,history and architecture. I know this would be quite a dangerous destination for an alcoholic but it is also fitting because James Lee Burke's most famous character is a recovering alcoholic.

Lastly since it is my country that you gained independence from I must advise you that there will be no Downton Abbey or reading of articles about Kate Middleton this weekend

Together we can do this, we really can.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20170629_111232.jpg (31.5 KB, 135 views)
Old 06-29-2017, 03:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Shotgun!!
Old 06-29-2017, 03:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ugh! Just missed it!

Congratulations, Dragon!
Old 06-29-2017, 03:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations Dragon!

Good to see you Gilmer.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Interesting Canadian fact. Under the leadership of Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau Canada "patriated" its Constitution in 1982, transferring the country's highest law, the British North America Act, from the authority of the British Parliament to Canada's federal and provincial legislatures. Today, his son, Justin Trudeau is the countries Prime Minister.

We don't sing god save the queen anymore, But the queen is still our head of state. Public servants and such still swear allegiance to the queen. When I got my Canadian citizenship a few years back, (Job requirement) I had to swear an oath to the queen.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

I posted this on the sober bus thread the other week, one of my favorite Canadian places for it's beauty is Lake Louise in Banff National Park in the Canadian Rocky mountains. I've been out there several times, once on a canoe.
LakeLouise.JPG
Old 06-29-2017, 04:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

How beautiful!
Old 06-29-2017, 04:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Thank you for the thread, Sao.

I've been to Seattle and San-Antonio. And I liked both areas.

But Texas blew my imagination with sticking to their motto "Everything is bigger in Texas". I ordered cheesecake and it was like a pound big. Next morning I had pancakes for breakfast, and they were twice the regular size.

There are many places I would love to visit. And thanks to my sober life I believe I will.

Have a great sober weekend, everyone!
Old 06-29-2017, 07:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm in!
This weekend will be all about organizing and cleaning in my house - I have 5 days off, so lots of time to get stuff done. I won't be doing much else - maybe a hike or two - I don't have any celebrations to attend, which is ok. I have a backlog of projects at home that really need my attention.

A few words about where I live - Western Wisconsin. It's a really beautiful area that has a combination of farmland, woods, lakes, rivers. There is beautiful scenery right in my town, and very nice state parks a short drive away. I love to travel, but I'm happy to live in a place that has plenty to offer on its own.

I have a long list of places I'd like to travel to - I'm going to Bali in a little under two months! That will be the trip of a lifetime. It's a sober yoga retreat, and I'm really looking forward to a serene, uplifting experience. Never would have done this while still drinking.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Alcohol INdependent
Old 06-29-2017, 07:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is a special birthday for Canada - 150 years!!

I hope everyone in Canada and the US enjoy celebrating!
Old 06-29-2017, 08:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

IN!

Thanks for the starter Saou and congrats STDragon on shotgun.

My boss is closing the office on Monday because no one is really around. That means in the old days I would have 4 full days of madness to look forward to, spending most of it with my head under a pillow. The world is my oyster now, not sure what plans are for the weekend yet.

I know that on July 4th I will be 30 days independent of cigarettes!
Old 06-29-2017, 09:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

This weekend is going to rock!

Someone just gifted me 2 bottles of wine for helping her with a tax problem a few months ago.

I get to give away two bottles of wine and it isn't going to cost me anything!

#lookingonthebrightside
Old 06-29-2017, 11:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm in!
I love to travel also. Was at Lake Louise many years ago and hope to go back someday. I'd love to go to new Orleans also....but definitely not during Mardi Gras...I stear clear of partying people.
Ladyblue. ..you're lucky to have Monday off. Enjoy the long weekend!
I have to work Monday but off Tuesday so it'll be a weird week.
Ok...see you all later. .
Old 06-29-2017, 12:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on kicking that tobacco habit LadyBlue! It seems to have gone quite quickly but I guess you might not be thinking that.

Nons, last Christmas a scandinavian client sent me an advent calender full of craft beer. My brother in law enjoyed them immensely.

I can well imagine how nice the Canadian Rockies must be, in fact with all the turmoil taking place in Britain Canada seems a very inviting place to live.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am in...
I love Canada. I am so grateful I get to live here.
I also love July 1st, 2017. Been awhile since I've had one of these.

That is a beautiful picture, Dragon.
Banff National Park is a pretty awesome area to drive through. I had the great fortune to ski Lake Louise many a moon ago. Absolutely beautiful in the winter too.

Good job Lady Blue! I had a good 2, or 3?? Solid days of no smokes. I caved though with some extreme stress. It is just something to do tho. I will give it another go on the 1st!

Gonna spend some time checking out the kids' celebrations, and otherwise I'm working two different shifts babysitting, as usual Hopefully we'll be able to see the fireworks on one of the nights though.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks for the new thread! I'll be staying close to SR (this is your warning! ) especially since I came close to slipping yesterday. Glad to be here with my global family
Old 06-29-2017, 02:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Count me in Sao!

Not a lot planned for the holiday. Just going to enjoy being sober and thankful for another holiday in which I won't be waking up sick, then wasting the days away.

Enjoy all!
Old 06-29-2017, 04:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Sao, as usual, thanks for the opener. The image, I think, says it all. It certainly made me chuckle.

STDragon, appreciate the mini history lesson. I love learning new things. That photo looks almost too good to be true. Spectacular.

LadyBlue, 30 days independent of cigarettes! That in itself calls for a bucket load of fireworks.

Purplrks, I'm in a struggling period as well. Let's do this together this weekend!

Oh, right, and I'm in!

Last edited by argillaceous; 06-29-2017 at 04:06 PM. Reason: corrected sentence
Old 06-29-2017, 06:30 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm American and love living here in our nation's capitol, but one of my favorite places is Lake of the Woods in Ontario Canada. We doent many summer vacations there when I was a kid and I loved it! Happy Canada Day to all of you lovely Canadians!🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦