Notices

Newbie..in need of help

Old 06-28-2017, 10:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie..in need of help

Hi,
Today is Day 1. I am a mama of two beautiful kids. My mo is after all chores have been done and kids have come from school I hit the bottle. Been drinking half a liter of vodka every night for the past two years. My husband and family are fed up. Life without alcohol scares me to death but continuing on this path is even scarier. I need help
Old 06-28-2017, 10:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome! There's plenty of resources and loving people here who are going through/have went through what you are,myself included. To be blunt; Get in check, before it checks you,as it did me..again read around and get a recovery plan.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

welcome,mama!
" Life without alcohol scares me to death "

that was a thought i had the day after my last drunk.
another thought that gave me the courage to go to AA was
what life with with alcohol still in it was going to be like.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
welcome,mama!
" Life without alcohol scares me to death "
That was my turning point when I realized life WITH alcohol was starting to scare me.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, DesperateMama2! You've found an excellent source of support. I'm concerned about your withdrawal. Have you spoken with a Doctor about detoxing? I want you to be safe and aware of what your body goes through during this process.

Been drinking half a liter of vodka every night for the past two years.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 06-28-2017, 10:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Finding this place SAVED my life and could do the same for you!

Your new 'MO' ... After the chores are done and (beautiful kids) are home from school... Log in to SR and read, listen and participate .

Speak to your Doctor and formulate a plan.

To quit drinking is a full time job (on top of all the other things we do in daily life).
But for me ... I had to have a true separation from "life" for a few days.

When I finally decided to quit.... I told my wife I was "Sick" and just stayed in bed .. literally for 3 days. I kept to myself, sleeping and watching Netflix. I explained to everyone that I had the Flu. (which I did)..... I kept up with fluids (lots of water) and soup and crackers.

Originally Posted by DesperateMama2 View Post
Hi,
Today is Day 1. I am a mama of two beautiful kids. My mo is after all chores have been done and kids have come from school I hit the bottle. Been drinking half a liter of vodka every night for the past two years. My husband and family are fed up. Life without alcohol scares me to death but continuing on this path is even scarier. I need help
Old 06-28-2017, 10:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Have you ever taken a day off from drinking in the past two years? If so, do you experience any withdrawal symptoms?
Old 06-28-2017, 10:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome! Change is always scary, but you have taken the right first step by joining this site. It has worked wonders for me. The key for me has been to never get lazy or complacent about my sobriety. Alcoholism is serious business!
Old 06-28-2017, 10:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That's similar to how I did- but I did it for over 30 years. My kids grew up with an alcoholic mother, and the impact is so evident on them, and of course on myself. For you to acknowledge the problem now and provide the opportunity for a sober life for you and your family is a gift. Take it and run with it. And agree with others, medical help is a good point to avoid potential danger to yourself. Glad you are here!
Old 06-28-2017, 11:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope the awesome support here can help you get sober for good.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome DesperateMama2

Finding SR made all the difference in the world to me.

I was amazed to find I wasn't alone with my problem and that others understood. SR helped me turn my life around. I know we can help you too

Why not check out our class of June Support thread - it's for everyone quitting this month. All you need to do to join is post.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-2-a.html

D
Old 06-28-2017, 05:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for the words of encouragement. Dr prescribed me Librium but I'm nervous to take it. Anyone take this before? I am a mess..all I can think about is drinking
Old 06-28-2017, 06:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by DesperateMama2 View Post
Thank you so much for the words of encouragement. Dr prescribed me Librium but I'm nervous to take it. Anyone take this before? I am a mess..all I can think about is drinking
The librium is probably to reduce the w/d anxiety and the risk of seizures. He wouldn't have prescribed it if he didn't think it would help. If you can reduce the w/d anxiety, and be safer while detoxing, there's less chance you'll go back to the bottle to relieve the anxiety.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to a friendly, helpful place DesperateMama - we know just how you feel.

Most of us think alcohol will help us cope with stress - but it ends up doing just the opposite. My anxiety was horrible when I was drinking every day. It was never fun, relaxing, or calming in the end. I was miserable, shaky, and everyone was disgusted with me. No way to go through life. You can get free. Glad you are here.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

With enough sober time the fear goes away, I promise. I drank for so long that being miserable seemed completely normal. Now life is so much better and I'm happy most days. You will be too😀
Old 06-28-2017, 06:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you are worried about the Librium, you can ask your doctor any questions you have. I'm glad you know you need to stop drinking, and you are seeking support.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

DesperateMama2, 1 day sober is FANTASTIC, congratulations. I was a drunk for 40 years and now goin on 7 years sober, so you can quit. Use that desperation to your advantage, my whole life has been an act of desperation. Those worries and fears will go away with time sober, rootin for ya.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I am glad your doctor prescribed Librium. Take it as directed. It will calm you down, help you sleep, and get you through the next few days without drinking.
This is wonderful that you will have one day of sobriety under your belt.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:13 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Reading these messages has brought tears to my eyes. Thank u thank u thank u for the support..I need to do this for myself and my family
Old 06-28-2017, 07:14 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome to SR, DesperateMama2. Glad you've decided to join us on this road to a better way of life in recovery from your addiction. Stick close, post often. Ask for help when you need it, help others when you can. There's some great support to be found here and it's free and open 24/7. Nice to meet you!